What can you tell me about Gibraltar please ?

Elizanessie

Ok...now my face has stopped getting red.....can someone tell me something about Gibraltar please....all I know is- monkeys and good shopping.:o

This will be our first port of call on our Navigator cruise next year....and I dont know anything about the place...so please help me out here.:D

What should we not miss and what should we give a wide berth to ?

Thanks

Gibraltar is lovely - you will dock a fair way from the Main Street so you may wish to take one of the shuttles which will drop you at the bottom of Main Street which is exactly as it sounds and where you will probably do most of you shopping. Leave the shopping until last as you will probably want to sight see first. Main Street is a long straight street which leads up to the Cable Car at the top end (bear slightly to the right.) Beware queues! On the left top end of Main Street (more or less) is the tiny Cemetary where Nelson's men were buried - very interesting at not at all morbid. Also on Main Street are some lovely little churches which are interesting to pop into. Then of course you have the shops and you will be spoilt for choice. Alcohol and Cigs very, very cheap, also jewellery. We've heard differing reports about the electrical goods. I personally wouldn't buy anything which might "go wrong" for the simple reason that it would be difficult to take back.Gibraltar is a place for walking - so comfy shoes. Lots of places to have snacks and also for traditional British food.

The view as you come into dock is spectacular as it is from the top of the rock. The caves are extremely interesting as are the Tunnels.

You will love it,

Marge M

Thank you Marge :D

I was beginning to think cruise pax didnt visit Gibraltar :D

You have covered everything for me...thank you so much and I look forward now to visiting Gibraltar for the first time.

We are there I believe from 9am-5pm..so I think we should be able to fit in quite a lot..I certainly want to do the cable car and a bittie shopping...and the Caves sound like something different to do.

Thanks again :D

We looked forward to visiting Gibraltar - we expected it to be one of the highlights of our cruise and it did not disappoint. Besides the previously mentioned goods, perfume is another item available at a cheap price. My wife found several bargains with regards to perfume.

We took a taxi tour of Gibraltar. We bargained with several taxi tours next to the terminal. The best price we got was 30 euros per person for a tour of the Pillars of Hercules (where you get a spectacular view across the Med to Africa), the Caves of St. Michael, a visit to one of the spots that the Barbary Apes congregate at, and finally the Great Siege Tunnels. We ended up on Main Street and walked our way back through the shopping mall and then on to the ship (about 1-1/2 miles from the main gate).

The taxi tour took about 2 to 3 hours and we had plenty of time to do shopping and get back to the ship. We spent about 20 minutes at each stop. The weather was a bit hot (September) but it was certainly pleasant. There will be masses of Spainards shopping because of the cheap prices.

Since we took the taxi tour we did not use the aerial tram. I heard it is usually a long wait and not really good if you wanted to tour all the sights of the "Upper Rock". The taxi tour was much better for travelling around from sight to sight since the "Upper Rock" is somewhat hilly. The price of the taxi tour included admission to St. Michael's Caves and the Great Siege Tunnels.

I hope you enjoy Gibraltar as much as we did.

DonLou :D

Wow thanks...you guys are all making me even more excited about Gibraltar...I was a little skeptical at first...but wow...it sounds like our first port will be a busy but delightful one :D and glad to read the weather was good for September.

I think I will try and get some maps or something from their Tourist office and then I will see be able to see distances etc better for the planning.

Thanks again,much appreicated.

Archived