Shuttle Buses

There is a shuttle bus in Tallin. The bus drops you at a hotel and you will be directed to the old town area. They usually offer the suggestion of going to a flea market but I did not go and the people who did go said it was a complete waste of time. The old town area of Tallin is delightful.

If the ship parks at the pier close to downtown, you can simply walk off the ship and turn left and you will find yourself on the Esplanade.This is a wonderful tree-lined street with a park running right down the center

If the pier is a distance away, take a taxi to the Esplanade, they may offer a shuttle bus.We were fortunate to be close into town but I know there are docks further out. .

Another note:

Tour Bus: Well worth the time. I highly recommend this. There are two local tour bus options here. One is a big red open-topped bus – you can see it from the ship if the ship is docked in town. This one is not recommended. The best one leaves from the Esplanade area and is very easy to locate – ask anyone where the tour bus leaves from. The tours leave every hour on the hour from 10am to 2pm. The tour is about 1½ to 2 hours long. You purchase the tickets in a ticket booth right on the Esplanade next to the ice cream booth in sight of the tour bus. The cost is 110K (about $20.) This is a great tour – basically the same route as the ship – you will see the same things, including the Rock Church, although without the concert. They have headphones that you listen to instead of a guide that talks all the time and it is wonderful. For instance, when they talk about Finnish composers, the composer’s music is playing in the background. I wish all tours used this headphone computer technology. They control it by a computer and hit the appropriate buttons when the bus is at each particular place of interest. It also includes information on life in Finland. I found it to be a most interesting tour. It makes two stops and gives you a wonderful overview of the city. Try to sit on the left side of the bus the view is slightly better than the right.

Archived