Seaworthy Hulls

dreamerdick

A question for the seagoing techies - when does a hull become unseaworthy? It seems to me that the QE2 is now 40 years old and still going strong. A major line just bought the old SS United States which I remember cruising in the 50's. No mention of what will be done with the old ship but I just wondered how long a hull stays seaworthy. The SS United States was one of the fastest liners afloat in her time - is she still restoreable as a cruise liner? The 'look' of the old ship is fascinating and I hope the new owner makes the best of her and does something unique with her.

A ship is never "unseaworthy" in as much as her 'Classification Society' will expect any worn parts of the Shell plating to be renewed at a regular periodic Drydock. Ships sailing in the Fresh Waters of the Great Lakes can last for 60 years or more but an Ocean-going vessel suffers considerably more corrosion of her shell plating and thus needs much more replacement of the hull plates. What determines the life of a ship is not its hull plating but the efficiency of its engine(s); the configuration of its cargo or passenger spaces. Simply put; if a ship gets too old from a customer point of view and it becomes too expensive to 'upgrade' the owner either scrap the vessel or sell to another owner who will use her for a reduced schedule. Now, temporarily, a ship can be declared 'unseaworty' due to a grounding or other accident affecting the integrity of the hull, however the Marine Surveyor for the Society will grant a temporary Certificate to allow the ship to proceed to the nearest Marine repair facitity for the necessary repairs.

When does a hull become unseaworthy?

1932Canal has it pretty much nailed down. I'd offer a few more of my own:

(a) Running over an iceberg rim and ripping out the bottom, as did the Titanic, will tend to make it unseaworthy.

(b) Likewise, hitting a mine will do undesirable things to a hull.

© You would not want to occupy the same piece of real estate as a torpedo.

(d) Changing your mind after the ship has been sent to the breakers will not restore its seaworthiness.

Adding to what 1932Canal offered, usually you see ships scrapped when it becomes too expensive to repair or upgrade them. The Albatros (ex Dawn Princess) sailed right up to the time she started having engine problems that were too expensive to repair. With the Norway it was the same thing, too expensive to repair the exploded boiler. A disaster like the fire on Wind Song can lead to a ship becoming scrapped.

Safety upgrades needed also can send a ship to Alang. Some just become out of date, become too old, or become excess (no buyer for out of the way routes).

Never have I seen a ship scrapped because the hull is worn out.

When there is a hole the size of a schoolbus in the side.

Tim

It depends where the hole is; if above the waterline then the ship can possibly proceed to the nearest repair facility; however, if below the waterline then a temporary patch is made to allow the ship to proceed to the nearest repair facility. As the previous posters have stated the decision to scrap a ship rests more on the costs of repairs etc. Of course, a ship that has sunk or run aground could be considered "Unseaworthy":p

1932Canal has it pretty much nailed down. I'd offer a few more of my own:

(a) Running over an iceberg rim and ripping out the bottom, as did the Titanic, will tend to make it unseaworthy.

(b) Likewise, hitting a mine will do undesirable things to a hull.

© You would not want to occupy the same piece of real estate as a torpedo.

(d) Changing your mind after the ship has been sent to the breakers will not restore its seaworthiness.

LMAO, don't want to occupy the same piece of real estate as a torpedo:D

When there is a hole the size of a schoolbus in the side. Tim
It depends where the hole is; if above the waterline then the ship can possibly proceed to the nearest repair facility; however, if below the waterline then a temporary patch is made to allow the ship to proceed to the nearest repair facility. As the previous posters have stated the decision to scrap a ship rests more on the costs of repairs etc. Of course, a ship that has sunk or run aground could be considered "Unseaworthy":p

This ship (the Stockholm), which sustained this damage in 1956 when it collided with the Andrea Doria, is still sailing.

200px-Stockholm_heads_to_NY.jpg.94b4b696185a5c0903bc56766e5aa1a1.jpg

Dontcha just want to know what they were saying while standing on the pier? "Where's MacGuyver when you need him" "Why do they always call the engine room when stuff like this happens" "What about SILLY PUTTY - you can't get it off anything at home" "Duct tape and bailing wire is all MacGuyver ever needed" - add your own. What ship was this anyway?

Dontcha just want to know what they were saying while standing on the pier? "Where's MacGuyver when you need him" "Why do they always call the engine room when stuff like this happens" "What about SILLY PUTTY - you can't get it off anything at home" "Duct tape and bailing wire is all MacGuyver ever needed" - add your own. What ship was this anyway?

Or John Candy's line in the movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - "They'll be able to buff that out." :D

It was the RCCL Grandeur and it occurred in Costa Maya last April.

Here is the whole story http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=167476&pp=25

This ship (the Stockholm), which sustained this damage in 1956 when it collided with the Andrea Doria, is still sailing.

I did not realize at the time I posted this the other day that we "ran into" the old Stockholm in Dublin this summer. She is now the Athena (after many incarnations and rebirths). Guess those old hulls really last.

I happened to get a picture of her.

1474751638_Athena(oldStockholm)small.jpg.0d6a2547519ef0ecd1d0471d59254168.jpg

What a great photo of the old Stockholm, perhaps instead of 'Athena' they should have called her 'BumperBoat' Now that has to be a 50 year old hull for sure? I think it would be great if they restored the SS United States and made her into an Atlantic Cruiser again - she was a great ship in her day - maybe it will happen with all the nostalgia out there and all us baby boomers that remember her. There is a current pic of her in drydock but I can't post it on here (not really computer literate) maybe someone could do that so all could see what she was like silhouette wise.

The Athena (Stockholm) was launched in 1905 - over one hundred years ago. She is seemingly in great shape - imagine cabins are pretty small but it would be fun to sail on her just once to see what my grandparents came across on in 1912.

Archived