The Pride 11/26 - 12/03

llachance

First time Carnival Cruiser. Probably won't be my last but won't be my first choice I suspect.

Sailed from Long Beach to Puerto Vallerta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. The very first comment from my husband (having sailed Disney before) were that the kids were much more noticable :) I agree but attribute it to bad parenting not bad kids, nuf said on that issue. Had cabin 8249 Panorama Aft Inside. Plenty of room for the two of us. Our cabin steward left a lot to be desired. Had to ask for ice every single day. You would think,after the first couple of times, we wouldn't have to ask again, we never got it without asking. Continually took our pool towels and didn't return them (they were wet, hanging up and if you are going to take them then give us new ones) on the other hand some of the cutest towel animals that I have ever had on any of the cruise lines I have sailed.

Late seating for dinner - table 415 upstairs. Our waiter, Melvin, did a fine job. His assistant had too much to do but wasn't awful. Food was fine. We ate in Davids one evening and were sorely disappointed with the service and the food. Our waitress was not fluent in English and a couple of times there were error in service, on the other hand, the sous chef came out and talked to us and that was pleasant. I had surf and turf and the best part of the meal was the pumpkin ravioli. I won't waste my money again. The Mermaid Grill (buffet) was more then adequate, the food that I had hit the spot and I had some of the best french fries I have had in a long time :) Great Ruebens, the Indian Food and the French Food were tops.

The spa was - I put my name in the hat for a free treatment and didn't win. However, I got a call for the 2nd sea day for a full body massage for 1/2 price. I would have demanded my money back if I had paid full price. Also, too much time spent on trying to sell me product that cost more then my massage. My husband and I took three days of Pilates. All three classes were challenging and worth the price.

Used the hot tub every day (Forward) there were a few kids but for the most part they stayed mid ship. Enjoyed laying there in the sun. Wasn't bothered by servers wanting to sell me drinks so very relaxing.

Ports of call we did all our shore excursions through the cruise company. In Puerto Vallarta we did the ATV tour and the Jeep tour. Had fun on both of these. In Mazatlan we just wandered the streets but spent most of the time on ship. In Cabo St Lucas we went snorkling. We were signed up for the BOB but there were so many physical restrictions (think SCUBA) that we declined and had our money refunded. Chose the snorkling which was fun. Caveat we were supposed to sail on a catameran to the snorkling area and were on a big diesel cruiser instead. It was the beginning of the whaling season and we saw half a dozen humback whales. This made the trip for me.

Big minus' I hated the beds. Very hard. The lack of nuts or pretzels at the bar during happy hour before dinner, Davids, and the lack of paper towels (at least) in the public bathrooms. Half the time the blow dryers were not working. Embarkation in Long Beach is not passenger friendly.

Plus' the service was fine, you could party or not (I am usually in bed by 10:00 even when cruising) the pool and hot tub and the varied activities that you could participate in or not. The Pride band was amazing and the photographers actually got some nice pictures of my husband and I that we bought.

If you have specific questions I would be happy to answer them. My perspective comes from having sailed Cunard, Disney, RCL and HAL in the past.

Considering this cruise for President's Week 2008 - something different leaving from CA to the Mexican Riviera, since we've done the Caribbean so many times from Florida. Also, our boys are surfers, and these ports are supposed to be good suring beaches. Plus, we figured we could arrive in CA a few days early and they could surf there as well.

What is it about Long Beach embarkation that is not passenger friendly? Not sure if we'd fly into Long Beach or LAX - it would depend on what kind of fares we get. Is it far from LAX to the pier?

Are the Pacific seas rougher in general from the Caribbean? Don't want any rocking and rolling on the ship!

Would appreciate any input you may have. Thanks . . .

Thanks for the review! I loved the french fries too! I agree with you about the lack of paper towels...everyone used the kleenex instead and it got all over our fingers.

Carnival Queen: LAX is 30 - 45 mins. from the port.

Considering this cruise for President's Week 2008 - something different leaving from CA to the Mexican Riviera, since we've done the Caribbean so many times from Florida. Also, our boys are surfers, and these ports are supposed to be good suring beaches. Plus, we figured we could arrive in CA a few days early and they could surf there as well.

What is it about Long Beach embarkation that is not passenger friendly? Not sure if we'd fly into Long Beach or LAX - it would depend on what kind of fares we get. Is it far from LAX to the pier?

Are the Pacific seas rougher in general from the Caribbean? Don't want any rocking and rolling on the ship!

Carnival Queen, the waiting area at Long Beach is entirely outside, so even though SoCal weather is usually fine, if it happens to be raining, it's a little difficult. The Pacific can be rougher , especially the farther north you go. Going south is usually good, but the return trip north on the last day can be a bit choppy. And the water isn't the 'aqua blue' you see on the other side.

Ifachance,

Thanks for the review. My family and I will be sailing the Pride

during the Christmas holiday. I was thinking of Dining at Davids

but Im not crazy over the menu. After your experience Im even

less interested. Was the atmoshere at the top of the ship very

nice at least. It looks like a beautiful place to dine. Maybe my

wife and I will do it for the experience.

Thanks

HLP

The atmosphere in Davids was nice enough but I really don't think it was worth the extra money that we spent. The menu is heavy on meat but I don't think it was any better prepared then what we got in the dining room...We had an excursion with some folks that said they had an absolutely great meal and unbelievable service (on the same night!) I think it all in the expectation and we have a wonderful steak house not far from where we live.

We had only one rough night (between Mazatlan and Cabo) but sailing north is much more windy then sailing south. I appreciated it more this time because there was the enclosure over the pool that broke the wind (our previous trip was when the Disney Magic was on the West Coast and their pools aren't covered at all).

Waiting in line to embark, outside, can be a problem if the weather is bad. The parking garage also gets very crowded with people getting on and off the ship. If you come by bus you would wait in the line but wouldn't have to deal with the parking issue. If you are there early you have the advantage of early check in at the Queen Mary. You can drop your stuff off and beat the line later

Yes the menu at Davids seems geared to mostly meat eaters

although the stone crabs sound interesting. The other thing

about Davids is the serving size seems way too large for us.

If your a big eater your getting your moneys worth. I personally

like the serving size of the main dining room better.

Thanks again

HLP

We did the early check-in for the Pride. If you get there before 11 am you can check-in on the back of the Queen Mary. There were NO lines for that when we got there at 10:30. You can check in as early as 8 am I believe. They offer you a discounted tour for the Queen Mary when you do this which is a way to pass the time before time for boarding. But we opted to just sit on the benches and people watch as people were coming off the Pride. By doing early check-in you then go the "Zone 1" line. The line starting forming about 11:30 and we were on board the ship by noon. I felt it was a fairly smooth check-in.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Carnival Queen: We are also from LI and looking for a Feb 08 cruise (not sure if we will go Pres Week with the kids or leave the kids home and go earlier in the month). I think SW may even fly from Islip to Long Beach. Did you decide to go with this cruise? My husband just sent me a link to this itinerary as he wants to go somewhere "different."

Interested in making sure the weather is warm enough in February... don't want to fly across the country and get stuck in cold weather (it was 50 degrees here today, before and during the rain -- don't want to go on vacation where it's under 75!).

When people say "rough waters," just how rough is it? Do they always have bags around the ship for you-know-what?

Anyone go on this cruise in February?

Archived