HAL and American Express Platinum Cruise Privileges Program........

sail7seas

This is the caption in fine print under what dakskewer posted:

The Premium Global Assist Hotline must arrange all medical and visitor transportation. Because the Premium Global Assist Hotline is an assistance service, we cannot reimburse you for expenses you incur on your own.

What is this extra 'rider' you have called?

I feel comfortable in terms of cruise travel that if a ship's doctor says the condition needs care he cannot provide in ship's infirmary, AmEx is not going to fight the issue.

Ship's docs want pax off and gone if they are that ill. They don't want/need the risk of trying to care for a very ill person in a facility that is not equipped to do so. Too much paper work if they should go and die on them. ;)

For cruise travel, we don't have a problem.

For land travel, it might be different. What is this extra insurance?

Yes, they will remove you from the ship to a local medical facility. We pay extra (the policy Cat1 mentioned) for evacuation back to our home city.

My last cruise on the Grand Princess, we had to take a detour to Guatonomo Bay and drop off a passenger who had a heart attack. The US Military met us a few miles off the base and picked him up. Can you imagine being dropped off there? This was 3 years ago when it was housing military prisoners. I'll pay the extra $$!

It's a small premium extra. I agree the small sum isn't the issue. My research into it is to determine whether it is worth it for us.

I see there is a choice of either writing the additional insurance for one trip or annually.

Seeing how often we travel, if we choose to write it, we will take an annual policy.

I see much of it is duplication of the Platinum. At the moment, I am seeking verification of return to home by AmEx.

Also......pre-existing condition terms.

Archived