What are the chances we'll get our Elite perks?

gooch47

We are booked on the Sun Princess next November for a month long cruise that will circumnavigate Australia (Sydney to Sydney). BTW ... thanks, Cruise Critic ... we wouldn't have know about it if we hadn't have found out about it on your board.

Our travel agent booked it through Princess, got to use a Future Cruise thingy, and we are getting some onboard credits. We were upgraded automatically to Gold Insurance, too. But the cruise is being operated by P&O, not Princess.

I'd sure hate to not get our free internet and laundry or other Elite perks.

I'm curious about this too. I know we get "days" and a credit for a Princess cruise, but because I'm not sure about the bene's. I'd like to hear from someone who has been in this situation. My guess is that it would depend if the "loyalty" program on P & O mirrors Princess. I'll go check that out.

That is what I'm afraid of, but it seemed strange that we'd get to use other Princess goodies but not get the Elite Status perks. It looks like even P&O's highest status doesn't get anything close to what we get on Princess. I think we'd qualify for their middle status which isn't much. A 7.5% discount on on-board charges is about it.

We've been wanting to do this ever since our first cruise to Australia. We talked about it and felt we could live without laundry and internet.

Princess has really got involved cruising in Europe in the last few years and many P & O passengers have been using that line. It hasnt affected me as I am a Gold member with P &O and Elite with Princess but, how it seems to work is. You are not a member of either the Princess or P & O clubs until you have done a cruise with that company. After your first cruise, you are then registered and all your cruises are then taken into consideration with the two companies. If your cruise is a months itenary, you wont qualify but, if it had been two cruises back to back, I believe the second two weeks would have qualified you for Gold status.

Although P & O and Princess are part of the Carnival group, they operate independantly but seem to be unique within the Carnival group in this system. As far as I am aware, it doesnt work with Cunard, Carnival, HAL etc.

Jimmy

To be honest, the perks on P&O are such that we won't miss out on much. The itinerary of the cruise overshadows any disappointment we might feel.

Have a wonderful time. Sounds like a great cruise even without the Elite perks.

Dear Gooch47: I get the same offers you get. Lets compare two cruises. Sun Princess, Nov 7th, balcony 28 days $7213 + fees and taxes. Saphire Princess Dec 20 - Jan 21st. - 31 days balcony -$5590 with your Princess elite perks. The later does Bangkok to Aukand back to back. In Australia it does Darwin to Hobart and Dunedin - Auckand in New Zealand. The Airfares are similar. You get More ports on the Sapphire, less money and the perks but miss 5 Western Australia ports. The choice is yours, I'm used to the perks. Did a segment of a World cruise several years ago and missed them. Just food for thought.

Yes we had the same situation. Our cruise in a few weeks will be our second on Pacific Princess under the P&O banner. Our Princess cruise didn't count but our very first cruise 30 years ago with P&O counted though so we were invited to the Captains Coctail party :D Remember everything will be in $AU so you will have to work out exchange rates. When Princess ships are under the P&O banner, your daily tips are cut from $10US a day to $4AU so you will make some savings there :D Mummsie

This will be our third visit to Australia. We've also been to New Zealand twice before, too. We've seen Bangkok and Singapore. We really like the idea of going completely around Australia seeing the ports we've missed, especially on the west and north coasts.

This will be our third visit to Australia. We've also been to New Zealand twice before, too. We've seen Bangkok and Singapore. We really like the idea of going completely around Australia seeing the ports we've missed, especially on the west and north coasts.

Yes, we would have loved to do the same cruise. Pacific Princess has just finished going around OZ - we went and saw her when she docked here in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately for us its not possible at the moment. Maybe when we get closer to retiring :D Mummsie

Archived