Free Upgrade or Ship Credit question

dml1216

Ok, I've booked a 4 day cruise out of Port Canaveral that I am also getting married on. I have approx 25 people sailing with us, as well as 5 more coming aboard the ship for the actual wedding. I feel that the price of the wedding is a good one ($1500) however, this only covers 20 people and I'll have to pay an addtl $25 for the other 10 people. (not that big of a deal) It started out as only about 10 people going and has exploded. Since everyone has just booked on their own we are not under a "group rate." Everyone would have to cancel and rebook and it doesn't really save everyone much money, as only 1 person would get to go free and plus all of the port charges, taxes etc. it comes out to hardly any savings. Carnival would not do it any other way and I felt it would be more of a hassle for everyone. Ok, for my question. I thought about asking if they would just give us some type of ship credit or something. I mean, we are bringing a ton of people on and spending a lot of money. Any pointers? Calling ahead? Asking the day of? Should I just ask for a cabin upgrade instead? Has anyone done this and been successful? Thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

Well, gosh, I think it's at least worth a phone call. Get your ducks in a row, names of everyone traveling, etc. and call and ask to speak with a supervisor. You didn't say how soon your cruise was but explain the situation exactly as you did on here. If it's a date further out, maybe they can somehow regroup the reservations.

By the way, you mention five additional guests coming on board for the service. Carnival policy states no visitors. We were married on the Celebration and couldn't have anyone not sailing come to the wedding. I'd get that written in stone.

Well, gosh, I think it's at least worth a phone call. Get your ducks in a row, names of everyone traveling, etc. and call and ask to speak with a supervisor. You didn't say how soon your cruise was but explain the situation exactly as you did on here. If it's a date further out, maybe they can somehow regroup the reservations.

By the way, you mention five additional guests coming on board for the service. Carnival policy states no visitors. We were married on the Celebration and couldn't have anyone not sailing come to the wedding. I'd get that written in stone.

My brother got married on Celebrity in 2002 & was able to have guests come onboard just for ceremony.

We sat with folks in September that were just boarding for a wedding and then getting off, must be a policy change, because they boarded when we did.

We were on the Elation week of Thanksgiving and there was a wedding taking place in one of the lounges. I later heard an announcement that it was time for any guest who was not sailing to leave the ship. This was just prior to us going to the Muster drill. The guest were allowed on the ship for the wedding and reception.

Good Luck to you trying to get shipboard credits!

the people would not have to cancel-- they would just transfer the booking to a group agent.

Sometimes group prices are worth it-- save almost 100 plus cabin credit.

A good agent can rebate the free berth into a savings for each cabin.

Depending on how many in your group-- you could get a free get together party.

Well worth it to get it organized with one person.

Groups are a lot of work-- thats why the incentive to book as one.

PS-- make sure ALL those agents know to link their own bookings with other people in your wedding--or you will be sitting all over the place come dinner times.

Archived