Mercury Alaska - Formal wear question

sueclark

A friend from work is sailing Mercury in Alaska early in August. It is their first cruise. His TA just told him that he doesn't need to worry about packing a suit because most people just wear a turtleneck and sport coat. Is this true? We've never done Alaska and I've read that it tends to be not quite as formal as other cruises - but that doesn't sound like Celebrity to me.

A friend from work is sailing Mercury in Alaska early in August. It is their first cruise. His TA just told him that he doesn't need to worry about packing a suit because most people just wear a turtleneck and sport coat. Is this true? We've never done Alaska and I've read that it tends to be not quite as formal as other cruises - but that doesn't sound like Celebrity to me.
Hey Sue:D

The TA is not correct! Dress is more casual during the day, but formal night is formal night. We have sailed Alaska 4 times and you will see many tuxes and long gowns as well as dark suits and cocktail dresses.

I was on the 6/18/04 mercury sailing to alaska. The vast majority of men wore suits or a tux - even saw one brave man in a kilt! If you don't want to dress for formal night there is alternative dining,

Last year, on the Summit west coast/ Alaska cruise, formal nights were just that: Formal. I agree with the above posters.

Some of the TA's are talking down dress, just to be sure to get the booking?? :eek:

IMHO!

That TA is sorely mistaken. No matter where it is, Celebrity is Celebrity and formal nights are formal nights. We've done Alaska and altho the days are quite informal, the nights remain as always. Thank Goodness!!

Marilyn

I just noticed you are from Henderson as well--small world!! When are you sailing again? We are on the Oct. 11 Canada/NE cruise on Constellation (the only way to see some fall scenery for we desert rats!)

I was on the 6/18/04 mercury sailing to alaska. The vast majority of men wore suits or a tux - even saw one brave man in a kilt! If you don't want to dress for formal night there is alternative dining,

What's brave about a kilt!!

I wear one regularly and you don't see many people facing up to anybody wearing one, other than other wearers!

At least it doesn't get as creased as trousers.

PS

I suppose it will have to come to Mercury on 20 August now.

Look forward to meeting you all

You will at least recognise me

Rodney and Jane

I felt underdressed on formal nights! I wore my prettiest dress and i was tempted to bring my puffy prom dress after I saw many of the women wearing massive gorgeous gowns! The high tea ...they will kick you out if you dont dress apporpriately. My dad was kicked out even though he was wearing a tie and a dress shirt and nice pants...u had to have a jacket!

crazy i know!

To those of you who were on the Mercury to Alaska recently: WHICH nights were formal? my best guess based on the itinerary would be Saturday and Tuesday as these are at-sea days...

Also, anything special to request in the dining room (or elsewhere!)? We are going 8/6/04 for our thirtieth anniversary.

Archived