24 hours to go... And We're All SICK!

Rowan555

I'm so very sorry to hear that your hubby is struggling so hard with his asthma. Have you given any consideration to changing his environment? I've heard that places in the "deep" south, such as GA and perhaps W.Va are just not asthma-friendly places to live. the high humidity and high pollen count would do me in........

I thank God every day that I'm so lucky as to live in San Diego.

I'm so very sorry to hear that your hubby is struggling so hard with his asthma. Have you given any consideration to changing his environment? I've heard that places in the "deep" south, such as GA and perhaps W.Va are just not asthma-friendly places to live. the high humidity and high pollen count would do me in........

I thank God every day that I'm so lucky as to live in San Diego.

This is what we deal with - hot, pollen everywhere, and humidity near 100% lol. The asthma doctors just tell us to "move to Arizona." Not terribly practical, although I'm sure it WOULD help!

The last time my son was hospitalized they did a 3 day prednisone regimine with no tapering - so I guess it just depends on the patient and their situation.

Wyatt is sacked out on the sofa right now looking like death warmed over. We're ALL going to bed early tonight and hoping to wake up and all feel much, much better.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and well wishes. I appreciate it and hope to be here Saturday with a glowing trip report :)

As a matter of fact I am a nurse. Doses of Prednisone for children are much different than for adults. Also my husband has severe adult onset asthma. He didn't have asthma until he was 35 and he is 46 now. Unfortunately for him the only thing that does control his asthma is 60 mg. of Prednisone a day which is A LOT of Prednisone. He also gets a Xopenex injection once a month ($1500 a shot) and uses 3 different inhalers.

For this child depending on his severity of asthma along with antibiotics and his nebulizer treatments he may be able to benefit from a short dose of Prednisone even if it is given to him at a higher than ususal dose. Once he gets in the ocean breeze this should help him too.

My mistake; he uses Xopenex in his nebulizer he gets Xolair injections!

This is what we deal with - hot, pollen everywhere, and humidity near 100% lol. The asthma doctors just tell us to "move to Arizona." Not terribly practical, although I'm sure it WOULD help!

The last time my son was hospitalized they did a 3 day prednisone regimine with no tapering - so I guess it just depends on the patient and their situation.

Wyatt is sacked out on the sofa right now looking like death warmed over. We're ALL going to bed early tonight and hoping to wake up and all feel much, much better.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and well wishes. I appreciate it and hope to be here Saturday with a glowing trip report :)

Hope every thing works out and you all have a good time. If you are flying; make sure he takes his nebulizer with him on the plane. My husband didn't have any particular problem but sometimes the pressure in the plane can be a bit of a problem for asthmatics. We took it in a carry on with a letter from the doctor and had no problems.

The asthma doctors just tell us to "move to Arizona." Not terribly practical, although I'm sure it WOULD help!

Arizona doesn't help everyone. We moved there and it helped me because I am alergic to molds & grasses. However, my mother had different allergies and her's got worse because as the doctors said she dried out too much.

Arizona doesn't help everyone. We moved there and it helped me because I am alergic to molds & grasses. However, my mother had different allergies and her's got worse because as the doctors said she dried out too much.

Sometimes it is not allergies that trigger asthma. My husband has been tested for everything known to man and has no allergic reactions. His asthma seems to be weather induced. Too hot, too dry, too damp, ...etc. It has been very challenging. We cruised on the Destiny and sometimes when we were having our air conditioner problems it was uncomfortable for him and he had to do some neb treatments. The sea air was definitely good. I keep telling him we need to move to the Caribbean but since he works for Amtrak and the trains don't go there it makes things a little difficult.

when the asthma is severe, the prednisone is a 10+ day committment. They only prescribe shorter terms of prednisone for less severe maladies........such as poison ivy.

Unfortunately, not quite accurate. Prednisone is dosed not only differently in pediatrics, but also in adults based upon a number of factors and complications of the disease state. Some individuals respond extrodinairly well to a short treatment, others need a longer term treatment. The book of uses for prednisone is a good 2 inches thick, so more than just asthma and poison ivy are the indications.

As far as moving to Arizona, well ... Arizona does not have a shortage of asthmatics.

So many things can trigger asthma, I consider somebody quite fortunate if they can identify their personal trigger.

To Rowan555, hope the little one is better in the morning. Enjoy your cruise!

Oh that sucks!!! I have had to be on Predisone for long periods of time due to chronic uticaria, and it is the WORST drug EVER to be on!!!! I hate the stuff and feel so sorry for any child that has to take it!!!! Nobody should have to go through that!! 3 days I guess it wouldn't be so bad... I was on it for 3 months at a time 3 times, and then 2 weeks at a time... it is the devil as far as I'm concerned!!!! I hope he is better soon!

I was on it for 3 months at a time 3 times, and then 2 weeks at a time... it is the devil as far as I'm concerned!!!! I hope he is better soon!

Yeah, it sure can be nasty for some people! (The book of side effects is over 2 inches thick, too!) But it can be a lifesaver.

Fortunately, most short term therapies are tolerable. (take with food!)

And I empathize with the asthmatics, I have two of them at home.

Yeah, it sure can be nasty for some people! (The book of side effects is over 2 inches thick, too!) But it can be a lifesaver.

Fortunately, most short term therapies are tolerable. (take with food!)

And I empathize with the asthmatics, I have two of them at home.

I have 2 more treatments that I am supposed to take... bad thing is, I'll take the illness before taking the meds... I wish there was another option, it was truly the worst drug I have ever taken... I guess you have to outweigh the side effects against what you are dealing with... i thought what I was dealing with was bad.. but will never choose predisone again!!!! I did a few short stints, and that I can take... but anything over 30 days, never again!!!!!

My grandson has been on Prednisone for 3 months now for an infection surrounding his heart. The poor kid has gained 23 pounds and his face is so round! They take him off it and some infection remains? Hopefully this will be his last month. I also took it for pneumonia and asthma brought on by some kind of virus caught on a cruise to Mexico - I gained too. Awful drug (but I liked breathing better).

Archived