gift shop merchandise

Lachase

We bought some of the watches they had on sale. They were Cote d'Azur brand which I haven't even been able to find listed as a brand looking online once home. When I opened one of the boxes which had been securely packed in my luggage after arriving home yesterday, one of the men's watch bands was broken loose with a piece of metal off and the pin off. They were suppose to be gifts and now I am wondering if we just bought overpriced junk. I have emailed HAL but no response so far. I know they weren't terribly expensive, but neither is Timex and they do make dependable watches (at least that last longer than before they come out of the boxes). Has anyone else had experiences with the ship merchandise purchases? Pleased or displeased. Also, I think my husband may have bought me an expensive piece of jewelry for Christmas as a "surprise". Do you think he got ripped off or good value? I am feeling kind of low at this point and wished we had not purchased a thing.

I have often bought watches and inexpensive jewelry on the ships and have never had any problems. I know that if I buy a watch for $10 it's basically costume jewelry and something to wear for fun. I'm so sorry this happened to you. We did buy a watch once where the stem came out but we were still on-board and they just traded out the watch.

Hope you didnt pay more than $15 for that watch - as that's the going rate on eBay.

Sorry to say, you bought a piece of junk - exactly the crap that should be nowhere near a HAL or even a CCL giftshop.

:(

They do have some decent things, but its typically the pricier/name-brand stuff.

I hope you write a letter to HAL in Seattle and let them know how displeased you are.

Yes, we did pay a bit more---they have a $79 pricetag, but were listed at $50 and then they had their half price sale which made it seem like a superbargain price. We knew that we weren't getting pricey watches but thought that HAL had a reputation for quality and knowing that, as I noted before, you can get a reliable for years inexpensive Timex for about the same price, thought that it would at least be the same quality, that HAL wouldn't sell totally shoddy merchandise; it goes against their reputation they claim as a quality company. When I couldn't even find the watch brand listed online as a company, I felt "had", seeing the one broken still in the box watch and we did buy a few others as Christmas gifts. Now I feel bad even giving the others as gifts, like they are watch imitations. Yes, I will write a letter and be wary of making future purchases on the ships in the gift shops. Still wondering if my husband made a wise purchase for my "surprise" gift as I think he plunked down quite a larger sum for supposedly a nice piece of jewelry.

We purchased 2 Echo Drive Watches on board last year for the exact same price which was quoted in Little Switzerland in a Carib. port..Have also purchased much less expensive watches (under $50.00) for our grand children & had no problem with them..Many years ago I purchased a pearl in an Oyster for a Grandchild & it was defective..I phoned HAL & they gave me the name of the Company which runs the gift shop..(Gift shops on board are not run or owned by HAL or any other Cruise line for that matter...They are owned & operated by a private company which leases space on HAL ships-Even the personnel in the shops are not HAL employees..)

I sent the pearl back to the company & received a full refund..Suggest you call HAL to secure the name & phone number of the company & call them prior to sending the item back for replacement or refuns..Also purchased the inch of gold ankle bracelet for myself last year..It was too short & I sent it back to the company in Florida with a check & requested they add 1/2 inch to it (it had broken) They sent me a new one & never cashed my check..I've sent the inch of gold bracelets back several times & they've always sent me a new one..

Years ago my DH purchase a Blue Topaz gold pendant on board a HAL ship & have received many compliments about it..However, on the more expensive items, there really are no great discounts & can occasionally be the same price or slightly more than you can get them for here in the States..It's the same way in most jewelry shops in the Carib...I'm sure your DH purchased a nice piece for you & you will be happy with it..

Good luck & please let us know if you were successful in receiving a replacement..

Betty

Let just put it this way: we do buy the $10 watches sometimes cause they are fun, we will buy t shirts also, other than that we spend nothing on the ship in the shops. As for the expensive jewelry, I do think it is more than junk and some I have ssen is very nice, but would I buy it? Probably not, I would rather shop in port. There are usually better selections. NMNita

Archived