maasdam info please

ludwigdrums

All cabins on all HAL ships have a safe. IIRC, the one on the Maasdam uses a card with a magnetic strip. Some of the other ships use a 4-number code that you decide on. I don't know if any of the ships (the Statendam comes readily to mind) still use the separate key-card system.

There are no refrigerators in inside or outside cabins on the S- and R-class ships. Those ships have a fridge in the mini-suites, S-suites, and PH only. Others may rent a fridge for a fee. Last I knew it was $2.00/day. Arrange this through the TA in advance.

The Vista class ships have a fridge in every cabin.

I can never remember the fridge set-up on the Prinsendam. :o

Does a large outside stateroom on the Maasdam have a refrigerator and a safe?
We just returned to Norfolk on the Maasdam and were upgraded from MM inside guarantee to DD outside obstructed view on the Lower Promenade deck. We had clear view directly out window and forward, but looking aft we saw metal support structure. Being on LP gave us a large teak 'wrap-around-the-ship verandah' which we gratiously shared with our many new friends aboard. We had a safe (locked/unlocked with a mag strip card) and two good size drawers which locked with individual keys. (Kept 17" widescreen laptop in one of the locked drawers). A refridgerator would have been nice, but we didn't bother trying to rent one. I brought four 2liter bottles of diet Pepsi and just poured into a glass full of ice. Much preferable to drinking coke and considerably cheaper than a 'soda card'. The ship really isn't that big I couldn't go back to our centrally located cabin, if/when I really 'needed' a DP fix. I obtained larger glasses from time to time and filled them with DP/ice to enjoy at a meal or lounging around on our 'verandah' (or other popular ship areas). And that is how the trick is done. I'm sure I could of asked for ice bucket/etc, to chill my DP (or a bottle of wine/etc.), but we didn't really need to. (ymmv) Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
Does a large outside stateroom on the Maasdam have a refrigerator and a safe?

We just returned yesterday from a 11 day holiday cruise aboard the Maasdam. The staff and crew were terrific! We were in an outside cabin on the lower promenade deck. We had booked an HH guarantee (obstructed view) and received an upgrade to an unobstructed view. Yes, there is a safe in the closet, but no refrigerator. We too brought our own soft drinks...and wine. I carried 3 - 1 litter Glen Ellen White Zifandel bottles on board, with no problems. The ship does not carry that brand of wine. We were charged a one time uncorking fee in the dining room for each bottle, which was okay with us. What we didn't use, they kept on ice for the following night.

We did not bring litter bottles of Pepsi. We bought the smaller plastic bottles, and were able to replenish our supply in the various ports with no problems bringing them back on board.

We also brought a collapsable cooler in our luggage to store extra ice and keep our soft drinks cold. Hope this info helps in your planning.

Archived