Scuba diving

FamilyDoc

Has anyone got any recomendations for scuba in Costa Maya? I saw on the Costa Maya tour site 2 different options and wondered if anyone had tried them.

My DH and I are both certified and want to scuba this trip and so our options are Belize, CM, Nassau or Coz.

Suggestions appreciated! :)

Hi,

No, I haven't been diving in Cozumel yet.... I've been there but wasn't a diver. All I know is that it's a must do for divers.... So on my Panama Canal cruise we got there and I'll get to dive Coz... I'm going with Diving with Allison on that one...... Not only from the reviews but the communication with her...... But I have no personal experience yet.......lol..........

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I recently returned from a 7-day cruise abroad the Carnival Miracle, which stopped in Costa Maya on 12-22-06 from 8am to 5pm. We had booked a 2-tank reef dive with Costa Maya Tours. Upon arrival we caught a taxi over to Tequilla Beach Club around 9am ship time where we were greeted by Otto from Costa Maya Tours. Our 1st dive was just my wife and I, Otto, and our divemaster Herve????, it was right out in front of the beach club on a portion of the one of the most beautiful healthy reefs we've seen. Herve??? was quite knowledgeable of the reefs and led us on a very relaxing dive. We returned to the beach club for our surface interval and were able to relax on the beach. On our 2nd dive another couple joined us and again we went right out in front to a different area of the reef where we encountered this giant eagle ray with about an 7-8 ft wingspan. This was an awesome sight to see and photograph, and an appropriate last dive of our cruise. The other nice thing was that we were done before noon ship time and had time to do other things. We had dove in both Grand Cayman and Belize earlier in the week and aside from the x-large green moray eel we encountered in Gr Cayman, this was the highlight of our dives.

Otto, the staff at Costa Maya tours, and the Tequilla Beach staff were all very friendly and eager to provide a excellent experience. Oh, the Octopus from the restuarant was excellent, and the 2 Marguarita's afterwards kicked my butt. Good Luck.

Hi,

I recently returned from a 7-day cruise abroad the Carnival Miracle, which stopped in Costa Maya on 12-22-06 from 8am to 5pm. We had booked a 2-tank reef dive with Costa Maya Tours. Upon arrival we caught a taxi over to Tequilla Beach Club around 9am ship time where we were greeted by Otto from Costa Maya Tours. Our 1st dive was just my wife and I, Otto, and our divemaster Herve????, it was right out in front of the beach club on a portion of the one of the most beautiful healthy reefs we've seen. Herve??? was quite knowledgeable of the reefs and led us on a very relaxing dive. We returned to the beach club for our surface interval and were able to relax on the beach. On our 2nd dive another couple joined us and again we went right out in front to a different area of the reef where we encountered this giant eagle ray with about an 7-8 ft wingspan. This was an awesome sight to see and photograph, and an appropriate last dive of our cruise. The other nice thing was that we were done before noon ship time and had time to do other things. We had dove in both Grand Cayman and Belize earlier in the week and aside from the x-large green moray eel we encountered in Gr Cayman, this was the highlight of our dives.

Otto, the staff at Costa Maya tours, and the Tequilla Beach staff were all very friendly and eager to provide a excellent experience. Oh, the Octopus from the restuarant was excellent, and the 2 Marguarita's afterwards kicked my butt. Good Luck.

That sounds great! I'd love to do a small (tiny) group like you did. We did the manta ray night dive in Hawaii and only saw one at a distance, the eagle ray would be really cool. Sounds like you liked CM better than Belize. We've been trying to decide between the two. Thanks for the info. :)

• 4 weeks later...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to BOS after a day of diving with them during our cruise a few weeks ago. Usually one to avoid the ships excursions, I looked into BOS and Maya Palms. After exchanging a few emails with Phillip we were set up with two tank dive for the wife and I. Phillip emailed directions, map, etc. to make sure we found our way over- the system in Costa Maya is a pain- switching taxis, etc. but it's another story. Anyways, we grabbed a taxi over to town and then walked a few blocks to the cantina/dock. We met up Phillip and the gang and set up and headed out. Our DM Rodrigo was a great guy and everything was handled perfectly.

Prior to booking I'd read the review on CruiseCritic and here mentioning the tank issues, etc. but found things had been taken care of. We had no issues what so ever, and highly reccomend them. They even addressed the previous issues before diving which I thought was very nice on their part. I'd suggest anyone who stops off in Costa Maya, or who heads down for a a week or so to check them out. The hotel also looks great!

The diving was excellent as I've seen previously mentioned. It's still unspoiled down there and there was lots of life and health reefs. We had two great dives and hope to get back down there soon! Keep up the good work guys!

Archived