Hotel Continental Palacete Tribune Room

We are staying here in October pre our Royal Caribbean Med cruise.

Thank you so much for the pics.

What is the Tribune room? I did book a double room, but no balcony as I recall. Do they each have a name?

How was the food, I understand there is something available to eat 24/7.

Was the location good for sightseeing and getting to the port/airport?

Thanks for any help.

I'm not the OP, but I stayed in this hotel a couple of years ago and we also stayed in the Tribune Room.

To answer your questions:

No, the rooms don't all have names. The Tribune Room and one other room (I forget the name) are the largest rooms. We peekd into some of the other rooms and many were small and/or overlooked the airshaft.

None of the rooms have balconies.

The food is fine. There is breakfast served and then there are snacks and beverages available all the time which is very handy.

It's an excellent location. Las Ramblas is just a few blocks away. Many shops and restaurants you can walk to. There's a taxi stand right across the street from the hotel. From the airport, we just took a taxi to the hotel. It wasn't very expensive.

We are staying here in October pre our Royal Caribbean Med cruise.

Thank you so much for the pics.

What is the Tribune room? I did book a double room, but no balcony as I recall. Do they each have a name?

How was the food, I understand there is something available to eat 24/7.

Was the location good for sightseeing and getting to the port/airport?

Thanks for any help.

To my knowledge, none of the rooms have true balconies (outside), although the salon does. The Tribune room (I don't think they all have names) is the room shown on their website. It has the little seating area shown in the pictures and also larger closet area. Our friends stayed in the Sun-Sol room and it was smaller than ours, no window seating area and smaller closet. I understand the rooms get smaller from there. Every room has a safe and a microwave and a refrigerator.

The hotel has free internet from two desk-top stations (one at the desk, the other by the salon) and also wireless connection if you have your own laptop. You will need an adaptor, but they had one that we borrowed. The key here is that they only had one.

We ate almost every meal from the buffet. Available all day long are juice, soda, water, beer, OJ, milk, coffee, tea and wine. For food there are a couple types of bread (toasters available), breakfast sweet rolls, cookies, fruit (bananas, pineapple, oranges, melon. etc.). cold ceral, a couple of kinds of nuts, hard boiled eggs (plus a hot breakfast dish of sausage or egg casserole), tomatoes, fresh spinach and lettuce, shredded carrots,cold salmon, a hot rice dish plus another hot meat dish, olives, three types of candy, and more that I cannot remember right now. I should have taken a picture! I made salads out of the various fresh vegetables and added cold salmon. They had oil and vinegar for a dressing.

We took the bus from the airport that dropped us off Placa Catulunya (I think 3.5 euro's per person). However, our luggage did not arrive with us, so we did not have to deal with luggage. You pick up the bus right outside the luggage area of the airport and you can pay the driver directly. There are luggage racks inside the bus. From Placa Catulunya it is a two block walk - very easy. People are always walking around with luggage so it is not a strange sight. There is a taxi stand across the street from the hotel so it is easy to get one to the pier.

Placa Catulunta is a main hub for sight-seeing. The hop on - hop off bus for all routes start here and you can buy tickets where you get on. The train station also has a terminal here. In addition, it is a reasonable walk to the Gothic Quarters and Las Ramblas to the port. Some also walk a little further to many of Goti's buildings.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Barb

You mean you didn't eat any of the fabulous food of Barcelona for lunch and dinner???

We ate one dinner out, but it was not that good. We cruised for 23 days so food was the last thing we were concerned about knowing we would be eating way too much anyway.:)

Barb

I have thought a great deal about booking this hotel. We will be doing a 14 day cruise and are concerned that it will be difficult to haul all our (overpacked bags) up one floor to the elevator. What do you think?

We had 15 days of clothing in our luggage and managed the steps to the elevator without a problem. Had 1 person stay with the bags at the entrance to be sure they didn't "walk away" while bringing the others up 1 at a time.

Also be careful loading the bags in the elevator. We had the handle broken when we placed a bag against the back of the elevator. It got hung up through the open area of the elevator.

The hotel was clean and comfortable with a friendly staff.

I have thought a great deal about booking this hotel. We will be doing a 14 day cruise and are concerned that it will be difficult to haul all our (overpacked bags) up one floor to the elevator. What do you think?

We had 4 large pieces of luggage. While we did not have to lug it up the steps (luggage did not arrive with us and was delivered at 10pm that night), we did lug it down and helped our friends with their luggage when they arrived one day later. It was not difficult to do. The steps are not steep and there are not that many of them.

Barb

Archived