Cruising during school vacations

Snowbird

DH and I will be on the Star for a 7 day cruise starting 4/7. We do not have children. This is the spring break week for most of the schools in southeast MI. Since I am a high school teacher, I have no choice but to vacation during school holidays.

Although I enjoy the 150+ students I teach each day, it is nice to have a break from them. While I understand that there will be more children on this trip compared to our last cruise on the Golden in July '05, I hope they are well behaved. DH and I went to WDW about five years ago during the same week and didn't have a problem with the crowds/kids, so I am hoping the cruise is just as enjoyable.

ibfern - where do you teach? You get such a nice, long holiday break in Dec/Jan - we get one week!

Happy travels to all!

As you can see from this thread about the only thing you can do to avoid kids is to take the World Cruise or go to Alaska in May....

It is often not the number of the kids but some other unknown factor that seems to influence the feel of the ship in any given week.

When we did HAL 12 days London to Athens we sure didn't think that there would be over 100 teenagers alone...

They were no problem- but were other tales to tell from that voyage.

Hi Patches05 and everybody,

I teach middle school in Los Angeles Unified School District, where we have a long winterbreak but don't get out in Summer until the end of June.

I just took a Christmas cruise to Mexico and while the kids were goofing around, my "don't-mess-with-me-I-am-a-middle-school-teacher" face sure stopped them when I was around.

One day while returning form a port, I got on the elevator to go up to my room but the door kept opening and closing. I leaned out of the elevator with my teacher face on and a child yelled "Mom, stop playing around, this lady is trying to get to her room!" I almost got out of the elevator and sent that lady to the corner.

Amelia

ibfern - where do you teach? You get such a nice, long holiday break in Dec/Jan - we get one week!

Happy travels to all!

my "don't-mess-with-me-I-am-a-middle-school-teacher" face

I hear you! I finished my 30-year teaching career a year and a half ago. Most of it was with middle schoolers. My "teacher eye" does the trick every time! My husband tells me I don't have to worry about disciplining any longer, but 'the eye' is all it takes. I don't have to say a word. ;)

I felt terrible for the cabins down the hall from us. There was a baby, less than a year old, in one of the cabins there and that baby screamed long into the night most nights. We were in a mini at the end of the hall, so no noise inside our cabin we could hear from it. But I felt so sorry for whoever was next door, or even two doors down from that cabin. I am sure sleep must have been totally impossible for them as the screaming could be heard all the was down the hallway each evening and afternoon at nap time.

Vacations for little ones that small, can end up being a nitemare for the parents and children if the child does not deal well in strange surroundings.

That is so not cool. Why do parents think that it's ok to take small children on a cruise? I don't get that at all. They can't go in the children's program, they can't go in the pool, and they cause a disturbance to other passengers. I would not have been a happy camper had I been next door to a screaming baby all night. I wish parents would be a little more considerate and wait until the child is older before taking them on a cruise.

Archived