No clue about tipping NCL kids crew members

icanflossu

We are sailing on our fourth cruise with children in a month and I think it's the first time our little guy will really use the kids club. I honestly have NO idea how much to tip these people. Can someone give me some kind of a guide. I see him going maybe five - seven times total, probably in the evenings after we eat dinner so my older kids can hang out and do what they want.

Thanks so much.

This is really open to your own comfort level , but heres what we have done . If they ( 2 girls 5&7 ) where in the club once a day , not all day , we gave each of there consulors $20. . If they spend alot of time there ( which they have and not because we made them but becuase they insisted endlesly ) we have given up to $50 each. And for the record no we dont leave them and go off ship , they go on all the excursions we do.

Its kind of tough , some consulors are great and some are just baby sitters. After a week on board you will know what to tip them. There where one or two I wish I could have brought home..:rolleyes:

MPK

Thanks MPK ~

That is very helpful. We would not leave them on the ship while going on an excursion either. In fact we are looking forward to spending lots of time on and off the ship with them. The kids crew will just give them an opportunity to be with other kids instead of spending 9 days with adults only. I know they will enjoy it since they are already talking about it. We have shown them pictures that other kind CCers have posted and they are excited.

A couple of questions...

Do you tip them each day or do you wait until the end of the cruise?

Do you sign up for kids crew on board or just go there with the kids?

Are there certain hours for kids crew or is it "whenever"? LOL

PA Cruisers

Thanks MPK ~

That is very helpful. We would not leave them on the ship while going on an excursion either. In fact we are looking forward to spending lots of time on and off the ship with them. The kids crew will just give them an opportunity to be with other kids instead of spending 9 days with adults only. I know they will enjoy it since they are already talking about it. We have shown them pictures that other kind CCers have posted and they are excited.

A couple of questions...

PA Cruisers

1. We always tip at the end.

2. First day you sign up . after that you can just show up ( but with NCL you must show up at the begining ) RCL you can drop in any time..

3. yes there are certain hours.

Thanks MPK ~

A couple of questions...

PA Cruisers

Hi PA Cruisers,

I can share my experience with the Kids Crew (2 times on the Majesty and 1 time on the Spirit). Our kids are now 12 and 8 and we are looking forward to our 4th NCL cruise. This time on the Dawn. We love the Kids Crew and our kids really enjoy spending time with new friends. On sea days, we let our kids choose to go to Kids Crew or do something with us as a family. We do not allow our children to go around the ship by themselves. On port days, the kids come with us and we choose an adventure that is family oriented.

To answer your questions:

We have tipped on the last night of the cruise. On our cruises, there were envelopes at the Kids Crew to put them in (we pick it up when we sign the kids in and leave it when we sign them out).

When you board the ship, there usually is information about the Kids Crew orientation/sign up listed in the Dailys. We just went and signed them up on the first day. We also purchased soda bands and the smoothie books for our kids (age 12 and 8) at that time. A brochure with the activities/times that the program is open for the week are also are also available (by age group) at the Kids Crew. You can also sign the kids up through out the cruise if you miss the orientation. The first night 7-10 pm is when most of the kids go. They get to meet other kids and find out when their new friends plan on coming to Kids Crew.

My wife and I have been able to have dinner for 2 a few times on our cruises, thanks to Kids Crew. The kids sometimes wanted to eat early and get to the 7-10 pm session. We would go to the Blue Lagoon, Buffet, Pizza place, or get room service for them, drop them off, then go have our dinner. This is also possible because of Freestyle Dining!

The usual times for Kids Crew are:

Sea days 9am -12pm ; 2pm-5pm; 7pm-10pm

Port days 7pm-10pm

Group Sitting (hourly rate)

Port Days 9am -5pm

Afterhours (hourly rate/ every night)

10pm to 1am

Also, you do not have to sign in right at the beginning of a session. We have signed in late or signed out early based on the activities of the day.

Have a great cruise.

Jimswims ~

Thanks for all the information. We have been on the Spirit once and the Dawn 3 times. Loved both ships but the Dawn is my favorite so far. Loved the layout of the pool area...kind of a theater effect with rows and rows of lounge chairs for sun bathing and watching the goings on at the pool. This time we will be on the Pearl. It doesn't look like the kids pool is as large as the Dawn or the Spirit, but I am sure they will have fun. I think they can use the big slide in the family pool too, so that is a BIG plus.

Another question...do they give you a peeper so that if you are having dinner, etc. and the kids don't want to be in kids crew any more you can go get them? They are 4 & 5 (just a month short of 5 & 6) and we are a little nervous about leaving them for lengths of time. And, of course...as you said, we would never let them roam the ship alone.

Thanks for all the Kids Crew info! :D

We have only gone on Carnival and Princess so I can only write about them. We always tip on the last night of the kids' program, the amount would depend on how much our girl utilized the program and how much we think the quality was. On Princess, when you first get to your cabin, there's a packet of info about the program, and info on going to the mandatory registeration the first night.

I know that Carnival and Princess both have advance sign ups for kidsitting (post 10pm). Princess has free in-port kidsitting, with advance sign ups due the day before. We have left our child onboard in the kids program room (from age 3 up) but only if we're within walking distance or on a ship-sponsored excursion so we don't risk being left behind.

I would say, no matter what the cruiseline, read the info about the program on your cruiseline's website and then read the newsletter when onboard to make sure you don't miss any special orientations.

Jimswims ~

Thanks for all the information. We have been on the Spirit once and the Dawn 3 times. Loved both ships but the Dawn is my favorite so far. Loved the layout of the pool area...kind of a theater effect with rows and rows of lounge chairs for sun bathing and watching the goings on at the pool. This time we will be on the Pearl. It doesn't look like the kids pool is as large as the Dawn or the Spirit, but I am sure they will have fun. I think they can use the big slide in the family pool too, so that is a BIG plus.

Another question...do they give you a peeper so that if you are having dinner, etc. and the kids don't want to be in kids crew any more you can go get them? They are 4 & 5 (just a month short of 5 & 6) and we are a little nervous about leaving them for lengths of time. And, of course...as you said, we would never let them roam the ship alone.

Thanks for all the Kids Crew info! :D

We went on the Dawn in '05 with our 2 little ones (2 and 7 then). Your 4yo will be in one program and the 5yo will be in another. You can request a beeper from the 4yo room if you want. My 2yo wasn't potty trained yet, so the beeper was mandatory. They don't change diapers. They only used it once and the kids were in the kid crew (because of their insistence) probably10 times. You'll love the kid crew. And, what's more important, your kids will love it, too. In my experience, the counselors were fantastic, the activities very diverse and creative; and it was very convenient. DH and I had dinner alone twice. We don't even get to do that at home!

Happy Sailing!! :D

Jimswims ~

Hi PA Cruisers2,

We did not get a beeper from Kids Crew. Maybe because our kids were older.

On one of the nights our daughter (8) was upset about something and we were contacted by Kids Crew (we needed to write on the sign in sheet where we would be so they did find us).

Have a great time on the Pearl. The ship looks great. We will have to add that to our list after the Dawn!

Guess I'm just a "Nervous Nana"! Our DD & SIL (their parents) will be along so I don't have to worry about them...just wanted the info to pass along to them. I feel better about letting Kids Crew know where you will be so they can come & get you if needed. I am sure they will have fun. They are very outgoing kids.

Enjoy your cruises everyone...ours is just 25 days & a wake up!

NCL has an automatic tip service, it's charged each day for the child. Something like $4.50 per day. (You can opt out). We always fill out a card for our DD that praises the people she likes. This time is was just one of the counsellors and one waiter.

We're told that all tips received in hand must be placed in the 'pot' to be shared amongst all workers according to their comment card scores. As such we'll tip the staff during the cruise. One lass loved Starbucks coffee and couldn't get off the boat at a specific port, so we got her a cup.

But to answer your question: the same as your room steward. Circa $10 a day per child.

NCL has an automatic tip service, it's charged each day for the child. Something like $4.50 per day. (You can opt out). We always fill out a card for our DD that praises the people she likes. This time is was just one of the counsellors and one waiter.

We're told that all tips received in hand must be placed in the 'pot' to be shared amongst all workers according to their comment card scores. As such we'll tip the staff during the cruise. One lass loved Starbucks coffee and couldn't get off the boat at a specific port, so we got her a cup.

But to answer your question: the same as your room steward. Circa $10 a day per child.

Unless the rules have changed in the past few months, the Kids Crew Staff on NCL are not part of the Tip pool that is part of the automatic gratuities that are part of your shipboard account.

I was told by one of the counselors that they Kids Crew staff do put all of the tips that they get into a pool and it is divided up accordingly.

Unless the rules have changed in the past few months, the Kids Crew Staff on NCL are not part of the Tip pool that is part of the automatic gratuities that are part of your shipboard account.

I was told by one of the counselors that they Kids Crew staff do put all of the tips that they get into a pool and it is divided up accordingly.

Correct. It is not part of the general pool.. And yes they somtimes pool THIER tips and split with other counselors , but not required.. I think $10 a day per child might be a bit high..:eek:

mpk

Archived