Croisieurope

laughoutloud

We also went on a Douro cruise , in sept 2009, but on a Portuguese ship: the Douro cruiser. Difference is that in my opinion they offer better service. For ex : in Porto we were docked across the city in Porto, while the Croisieurope ship was docked FOUR bridges away upstream (look it up on Google Earth, you can see where the croisi ships are berthed). Forget about taking a stroll into Porto, you have to take a shuttle!!!

There were also two evenings where they took us by bus to a winery and a convent for a nice 3 course dinner. Croisi does not do this!

This year we went on a Guadalquivir cruise with Croisi. Announcements are done in 4 languages : french, english, italian and spanish. Food was a 3 (not a four) course meal for lunch and dinner (albeit there is NO choice in the menus), this year for the first time wine INCLUDED (and after dinner coffee)! Selection between white, rosé and red wines, each from trhee different wine chateaus! Overall service was excellent, ship is very young (5 years), excursions are very worthwhile (Gibraltar, Cordoba, Jerez, etc...)

And yes there were no Americans on board, but we did not miss them (there were 6 nationalities on this ship)!

Smoking was NOT allowed inside the ship, only on the sundeck! When the French traffic controllers went on strike on 23 sept, the day the French passengers were supposed to return home, the Croisi people bent over backwards to help these people by offering extra meals and an extra excursion to the village of Carmona to kill the time. The French were scheduled to leave in the middle of the night. The ship was still docked the day after waiting for the new passengers. I wonder when these got to the ship for the new cruise.

Cabins are small, but manageble , both for the Croisi and the Douro ship. Don't expect a ball room on this type of ships. Cupboard space is very limited also. Gala evening is NOT like on a sea cruise, so don't take your tuxedo on this trip, a jacket or long sleeved shirt with tie will do. Other nights are casual, i even saw a few men in shorts (bah)

If you woul like to hear more info, just ask.

Janneke

in one post there was a comment about smoking being a problem? we are non smokers so would not like smoking on board.

Just back from their Classical Cities of the Danube, no smoking inside, just outside on the deck.

Wonderful food, no problems with language - we had 8 different nationalities on this cruise and each announcement was translated to the relevant language. Excellent staff.

Our first river cruise and would certainly recommend.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday, I have been investigating CroisiEurope a little more as I intend using them in the future. I think I am right in saying with 27 ships they must be the largest operator of river cruises in Europe. Next year its the Norwegian Coast again for me but I think back to the river in 2012.

We will certainly use them again too! I brought the French brochure back with me (I speak French) and notice that the selection here is larger than in English version. I was assured on board that you could book direct thru the website if you wanted a cruise that was not in our English brochure. We fancy the Douro next.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone had any experience with this company? We're thinking of taking a river cruise in August.

Maryann

Did a Rhine cruise with them in Oct 09. Almost all of the passengers were French as was the main language aboard, however Aurelie and Christophe (animator and cruise director) were absolutely wonderful - making sure we were comfortable and understood everything. The atmosphere was comfy,intimate and very cordial. On our cruise, the excursions were included. Everything was simple and stressless, just as a river cruise should be!

The WOW factor were the meals: stunning presentation, flavor and quality

from starter to desserts. You could feel the young chef's pride in all that he did. Service was attentive but discrete. Cabins were small but clean and

cozy.

In August you may a somewhat different experience but considering quality

and pricing, I'd go for it!

Archived