Victor Bodden guide/driver recommendations? (MERGED THREADS)

RealDeal

Jeff ~ what time did you arrive? It says we arrive @12n in Roatan, depart 7p. I would like to book with Bodden and do iguanas but not sure what beach to snorkel from. We would like to see as much as we can in the water just not sure which place is best or how much time to allow. Do they plan all of that out for you? First cruise so any help is appreciated :)

Peggy

If you google Victor Boddden, you will get the website information. We just returned from the Legend and had an outstanding day on Roaton. Our guide was Lionel and he was fantastic. He showed us around the island and shared so much information about his homeland. We did the monkey visit ( they love fruit loops ) and went to the beach where we chilled, rode the banana boat, and basically didn't want to leave.

Lionel was a wonderful tourguide. You will have a great visit to this beautiful island. I would recommend Victor Bodden tours highly. You won't be disappointed!

what beach did you go to? How much were the banana boat rides?

Thanks

Edited by CMM

Jeff ~ what time did you arrive? It says we arrive @12n in Roatan, depart 7p. I would like to book with Bodden and do iguanas but not sure what beach to snorkel from. We would like to see as much as we can in the water just not sure which place is best or how much time to allow. Do they plan all of that out for you? First cruise so any help is appreciated :)

Peggy

Just tell them what you'd like to do and ask for suggestions. The schedule is very flexible, since you will have your own individual guide. The guide will have great suggestions, but your whole day will be geared for what you want to do. You can spend as much [or little] time as you want at each location you visit. Victor is very good about answering questions if you email him.

I can't recommend the best beach as I've only been to one- Half Moon Bay. this is a very tropical snorkelling beach with great views. I've read about many other nice beaches also.

I think we went to a resort called Bananarama.We asked to go to a beach near Tobyana and Lionel took us here. It was a beautiful beach with chairs available to rent. There was a bar (and maybe a restaurant--we didn't eat there) The banana boat was right there and was $10 for a pretty long ride.

If you google Victor Boddden, you will get the website information. We just returned from the Legend and had an outstanding day on Roaton. Our guide was Lionel and he was fantastic. He showed us around the island and shared so much information about his homeland. We did the monkey visit ( they love fruit loops ) and went to the beach where we chilled, rode the banana boat, and basically didn't want to leave.

Lionel was a wonderful tourguide. You will have a great visit to this beautiful island. I would recommend Victor Bodden tours highly. You won't be disappointed!

Do you remember what this excursion cost you and how many were there in your group?

The tour was called"Best of Roaton". That means you get to design your own day. We met our guide as soon as the ship docked and he returned us to the ship in plenty of time to board. The cost was $40.00/person for 2 people and $25.00/person for 4 people. We had 4 people in a Toyota Sienna-like Van. It was great!

We are booked for November and have Tex as our guide. So excited. We have put in for doing the Cameo Factory, Victor's house for the monkeys, and West End for some shopping and lunch. Anyone have suggestions for places to eat in West End? Anyone done anything else than what we have listed and enjoyed it? Also, wouldn't mind visiting a local church. Has anyone done that and what were your thoughts or where was the church? So excited to visit this port!

We are going on 11/6 and have Ali as our guide. I think I might have read on here that he is a pastor. We listed visiting a school or church as possible activities. I am also curious about a good place to eat. I'll try to post a quick review when we get back and maybe that will be before you leave.

I booked with Victor a few days ago for our trip on Dec 1. Will he email the name of our guide or do I need to email and ask who it is? How does the payment part work? We are planning on a tour around the island, snorkeling on the glass bottom boat, seeing the monkeys, and DH and DS are going to do the zipine - do we pay seperately for each part - at the zipline, boat, etc. or do we pay all at the end? Anyone feel uncomfortable carrying that much cash around?

I booked with Victor a few days ago for our trip on Dec 1. Will he email the name of our guide or do I need to email and ask who it is? How does the payment part work? We are planning on a tour around the island, snorkeling on the glass bottom boat, seeing the monkeys, and DH and DS are going to do the zipine - do we pay seperately for each part - at the zipline, boat, etc. or do we pay all at the end? Anyone feel uncomfortable carrying that much cash around?

I just booked a trip for next year with Victor (my 4th time using his company). I have never requested a guide and always been pleased with his selection. However, you can write him and request a certain guide based on the reviews/comments available here, on his website, Trip Advisor, etc.

After you fill out his tour request form, look for a "please confirm" email with pricing quotes. Once you confirm by responding to this email, he sends a "Confirmation" letter with payment information. You pay at each location for the individual options that you have selected, then pay for the Bodden guide at the end of your day. Cash is requested and I have never felt unsafe on the island or with Victor's guides (one of the reasons we keep coming back!)

A couple weeks before your trip, he will send out a Tip Sheet with some more information (where to meet, etc.) It's helpful and always reminds us to pack some Off towelettes, just in-case! This letter and the follow-up after your cruise really make Bodden's tour stand out from all of the independents we have used...in the Carribean AND Alaska.

Hope this helps a bit to reassure you. I bet you and the family will have an amazing time. Roatan (and its' people) are truly wonderful.

My sister and I have felt perfectly safe when travelling around Roatan with cash. Since you will be travelling with a guide, there is little chance anyone would harass you. We paid cash for everything other than when we shopped in some of the bigger shops, which take credit cards. The charges will appear in Lempiras [sp?], and I had no idea what the conversion rate was, but they were accurate when I checked my statement.

When you are snorkelling or swimming, you can lock your valuables in the guides vehicle. This turned out to be a perfectly safe option as the guides will be keeping an eye out, while you are having a good time. Your stuff is also safe on the glass bottom boat tour.

In Coxen Hole, a few years back, after we had parted with our guide and were shopping on our own, it was a bit intimidating at times. We had some young local men following us back to the dock. We paired up with another woman who was walking by herself and had no issues. I believe there is a much bigger police presence now [the are very friendly and helpful-not threatening].

After your day with your guide, you will be dropped off directly in front of the port. There was absolutely no opportunity for any problems there. So unless you choose to wander off on your own, I would have no worries about your cash.

Edited by MDSue

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else had trouble getting a response when booking from their web site? I sent off a reservation two weeks ago and heard nothing. So, I sent another one last week with a note that it was a repeat because I hadn't heard anything. Now it's been another week and I still haven't gotten a response. Their web site said to resubmit if you don't hear from them in two days and to check your spam folder (which I did). Any other ideas?

Has anyone else had trouble getting a response when booking from their web site? I sent off a reservation two weeks ago and heard nothing. So, I sent another one last week with a note that it was a repeat because I hadn't heard anything. Now it's been another week and I still haven't gotten a response. Their web site said to resubmit if you don't hear from them in two days and to check your spam folder (which I did). Any other ideas?

I booked with them around September 14th and got a response in less than a day. Our cruise is next week and also got an email with some followup data this week. You might try Victor Bodden's direct email: victorbodden@yahoo.com. Overall, I got relatively quick responses in this same timeperiod.

I booked with them around September 14th and got a response in less than a day. Our cruise is next week and also got an email with some followup data this week. You might try Victor Bodden's direct email: victorbodden@yahoo.com. Overall, I got relatively quick responses in this same timeperiod.

Thanks! I'll try that.

Thanks! I'll try that.

Another thought... go to Google Mail, or Yahoo and set up a "free" email account. Their Spam filters are not as strict as some (I really have problems getting mail from Road Runner and on my work domain!)

We usually set up an email address specific for each individual cruise (i.e. Gem080810). That way, I know exactly where to find all my confirmations for a specific cruise or vacation!

I hope that helps!

Planning on booking with Victor for our upcoming cruise in Nov. We are a party of 8, and some want to do the zipline, and others want to just go to the beach to snorkel, jet ski, and get massages. Those that have done the zip and dip, how much time did you actually get at the beach? Those that did a private tour, and did zip and beach, how much time did you get at the beach. I really do not want to separate, but want to make sure everyone stays happy doing what they want to do. Thanks!:confused:

Another thought... go to Google Mail, or Yahoo and set up a "free" email account. Their Spam filters are not as strict as some (I really have problems getting mail from Road Runner and on my work domain!)

We usually set up an email address specific for each individual cruise (i.e. Gem080810). That way, I know exactly where to find all my confirmations for a specific cruise or vacation!

I hope that helps!

I think this is what I'll have to try next because I didn't get a reply from Victor's yahoo account either. It's interesting because my domain is roadrunner. Maybe I'll try sending it from work. Surely booking this tour is more important than working. :D

Just booked with Victor yesterday (Best of Roatan) for our upcoming cruise aboard Carnival Dream in February. He responded to my initial email within 2 hours stating there was availability and then sent the final confirmation 4 hours later stating our reservation was confirmed. Very quick response/service from him. Looking forward to visiting Roatan. 1st time there for our family.