Newbie ? - whats the difference?

poolgirl3

This is our first cruise is scheduled on the Wonder 1/25/07. We are both big Disney lovers and members of DVC) but I don't understand the difference between a balcony, verandha, etc..

I also don't understand the difference between the categories. We are booked on a category 4, Cabin # 8552. We only booked that because both DH and I were concerned with being "closed in" a small space and him sometimes getting motion sickness. I believe it is somewere close to the middle of the ship & was lead to believe less movement. Is this true?

Can anyone explain the differences so I won't feel like such a dummy about cruising.

Thank soooooooo much!

A "balcony" and a "verandah" are the same thing. Some cruise lines refer to them as one, and some the other.

The sensation of ship movement is, as a general rule, less the farther down onthe ship you are and the closer to mid-ships you are. The middle of the ship will be the pivot point when the ship pitches (the bow rises and falls) in rough seas. The farther you get from this point, the more motion you will sense. Think of being on a teeter-totter. Same thing.

The cabin categories with Disney refer to whether they're inside cabins, outside cabins with a window, or outside cabins with a verandah. Cabin numbers will also vary according to location. Yes, it's just like real estate ... location, location, location. Also factoring in is stateroom size. (Standard inside, deluxe inside, etc.)

The Passporter Field Guide to DCL is a great book for first time cruisers, I bought it before our second DCL cruise in November and I read through the entire book, lots of great information. The 2007 edition is going to be released this month but probably not in time for you to get it before your trip. Here's the link and they're offering free shipping until 1/8. It's cheaper on Amazon, around $13 but you'd have to pay for shipping unless your order is over $25.

http://www.passporterstore.com/store/1587710307.aspx

Hi, we have been on many different decks on both ships. It is true that the lower the deck, the less movement. So deck 8 will have more motion.

We dont get sea sick so for us it is ok. The trouble i if you want a verandah, you will need a high deck.

I hate feeling closed in too, but we had deck 2 ocean view port hole window and I never felt closed in. It was a very nice room. We usually have balconies, but it really was just as nice on deck 2 ocean view as far as feeling closed in.

We felt no real movement once we got our sea legs on deck 2. But we have had upper decks with regular and rough seas and we really felt it. During rough seas our closet door kept slamming back and forth until we secured it. Modern ships have stablilizers which really help a lot. with normal seas you really wont notice a whole lot anywhere.

mid ship is also the best place for less movement as stated above.

If it gets to bothering you, go sit in the atrium. It is deck 3 med ship and has very little movement. There are nice chairs around that area to sit.

Also the same area, but on deck 4 has nice soft chairs and doors to an outside deck with padded lounge chairs to relax if you want or need fresh air. Not much movement there either.

mom x4,grandma x4

Archived