Walkie-Talkie's - do they work?

Jackies0812

We are sailing on RCCL August 1st with my 9 year old daughter. I would like to give her a little bit of freedom on the ship but don't know if walkie-talkie's work on a cruise.

Has anyone used these? Do they work? How did your kids like it? Is there a better method of keeping up with your child?

What brand did you use?

Thanks so much!

Jackie

We started cruising with our boys (4) way before there was such a thing as cell phones or walkie talkies and we never lost anyone on a cruise ship. I honestly have to say that those things can be a real pain when you're trying to sit by the pool and hear the music or if you're napping at the pool or just trying to talk to another person and all you're hearing is the incessant yelling into those radios. You have no idea how many times you're hearing someone say something to the effect of, "Yeah, I'm by the pool and now I'm walking to the pizza bar. Where are you? OK, now I'm getting something to drink. When should we do this?" and on and on with completely stupid conversations. In the "olden" days we just set times and places to meet so everyone could check in. Like another poster wrote on another board about the WT's, it's not like you're on one ship and the kids are on another. Plus, you'll find that a lot of the kids misuse them by just talking into them for no real reason, and this happens in the show lounges and even in the dining room.

I agree completely, Tracy, but it's going to become even worse. NCL had announced that they're going to enable cell phones aboard through the use of a satellite dish. I can just hear it in the dining room now. Geez. It'll be just like the rude people in restaurants here in the States. Can't get away from then anywhere.:mad: Glad I don't sail with NCL anymore.

Sometimes I think people with no families monitor this board to try and train us into their way of thinking. :p

;) To answer your question, yes, they do work, and yes they can be handy. We have not brought them on a cruise yet, but everyone says they work great. We use them all the time on vacation. We use a number code, 337 when we want each other, stands out more then "hey mom", we state our business like "dinner time, or go to the room, or time for the treasure hunt" We never take them into lounges, restaurants, or quiet areas. And we try to keep them to a minumum.

I am sure you are as thoughtful of others as we try to be. I just wish they would return the favor, and spare us their opinions. Each to his own I always say.

I hope you have an awesome cruise. :) Theresa

northerner, you obviously didn't read my post because if you did you would have read that I do in fact have a family and raised four boys. Don't assume we're trolls trying to brainwash the people on these boards. I will abide by my previous post. Walkie talkies are unnecessary on board a cruise ship. If you want to use them in the ports to keep an "ear" on the family, then fine, but we families have gotten along without this type of technology for many years, and we haven't lost a child on any cruise ship. There are clocks everywhere on a ship and if you want your child to meet you for lunch or go to the room to get ready for dinner, all that's needed is to tell the child to go to whereever and at what time. It's not a matter of being polite, but imagine when you have 400 families on any large cruise ship, and if even half of them use walkie talkies, how insane it could be with everyone beeping and yelling into the things? Believe it or not, there don't seem to be many like your family who are respectful of others when using cell phones or WT.

Walkie talkies worked great on the ship. They are very convienient for large groups trying to keep track of kids/older grandpaprents.

They even worked on the tenders. I got a cheap pair... about $10 but may go for something with better distance on our next cruise.

I dont think they are any more annoying than listening to a loud person at the pool or bar. Just be tactful with their use. you wouldnt bring a cell phone into a movie theater or the formal dining room. Its just a matter of being polite....

God Bless,

Kelly

• 1 month later...

The only problem I had with the walkie talkies is picking up other peoples' conversations. I thought my son was being very rude to me once, when he wasn't even on!:o After that, we just used the "ringing" feature - I would ring him when I needed him, and we would meet in our room. If he needed me, he would "ring" me. It worked much better than trying to hear each other.:)

busybusybusy- what a wonderful idea.. just ring and then meet instead of letting everyone know where you are gonna be.

We used the motorla that had a rechargable batteries...which if you dont use the walkie talkies wille at through the batteries..like we eat through desserts on a cruise..

Another option that we did was at set times we would just use them to check in.

Like the previous poster stated these can be a pain in the neck for people around. Sitting trying to watch a show one night and the 4-5 kids behind me were having whole conversations with various family members.. where ya at--Im in the show.. where ya sitting.. etc.etc. (because of the walkie talkies we got to hear both sides of the conversations- and the many many kids who get on those things and yell out "MOM" only to have many moms answer with yes?

Have a code word. THey can be fun if used correctly.

As far as cell phones being used on a cruise ship-- I sincerly hope not- coz I can see me giving up my beloved hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

We did bring our cells with us on our last cruise, more to see if they would work than anything else. I did use mine to call my mom once, and to make my weekly call to my grandmother in her 90s. Did it from our cabin, so it would disturb the fewest number of people.

Technology is a wonderful thing if used with old-fashioned manners and common sense.

We brought our walkie-talkies and they came in very hand. Mostly my husband and I carried them when one of us by ourselves or with the kids when elsewhere. They worked well and we didnt have too much problem with other conversations, if we did we changed channels. We however, just came back and if you travel in the summer or other times when more families are travelling they might be a little busier.

Our walkie-talkies worked fine. I needed them to keep track of my teenage boys.

Cruisead: I had so much fun yelling into the walkie talkies and bothering everyone on the ship. All I did was scream into them for the whole nine days. What a riot, I left with a sore throat. Scream, scream scream! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to join the party so late, but I've been "cruising" these boards and had to jump in.

Yes, they can be truly annoying if not used properly. That stinks.

However, we (me, DH, and DD) use them for SAFETY reasons. No unneccesary talking or beeping, but if my daughter gets hurt/lost/scared/confused or just has a question I want her to call me...NOT talk to a stranger to help her out of whatever situation she might be in. Let's face it folks...just because you are on a cruise doesn't mean bad things can't happen and bad people can't be on board.

Cruisaed - It's not a matter of "losing" your child on board a ship, it's a matter of taking one little precautionary step. If somebody sitting next to you is talking that loud or being excessively obnoxious you have three options: 1. move, 2. politely ask them to take their conversation elsewhere, or 3. get a member of the staff to deal with it. I'm not trying to argue with you, but perhaps you should take another look at WHY people use these.

One of the last two cruises and Im sorry I dont remember which Carnival Pride or Celebrity Galaxy the cruise line actually had walkie talkies for rent while on the cruise. I didnt find them to be a particular annoynace but then neither of these cruises had many kids on them so there wasnt a lot of traffic just an occasional where are you type of thing. Had they had them when my kids were younger and cruising with us I feel sure we probably would have rented them. We all have Nextel phones and use the walkie talkie feature on them, but Never in public places or large crowds, and turn them off in restaraunts and movies.

• 3 weeks later...

On the one hand, parents on these boards are often criticized for not supervising their kids and on the other criticized for using walkie-talkies. I am traveling with three teen aged boys 13, 14 & 18. We are taking the walkie talkies and will use them with prudence. Its no vacation for them (or us) if we have to be together 24/7 - they are old enough to do their own thing, but young enough that I want to be able to keep tabs - in part so they will not be a nuisance to others who are having an adult vacation. Knowing where they are and what they are doing is key to this.

On the one hand, parents on these boards are often criticized for not supervising their kids and on the other criticized for using walkie-talkies. I am traveling with three teen aged boys 13, 14 & 18. We are taking the walkie talkies and will use them with prudence. Its no vacation for them (or us) if we have to be together 24/7 - they are old enough to do their own thing, but young enough that I want to be able to keep tabs - in part so they will not be a nuisance to others who are having an adult vacation. Knowing where they are and what they are doing is key to this.
Well, some people just think that it isn't a vacation for anyone on the ship if there are any kids on board, whatsoever. :rolleyes: We know better. The best thing in the world is to be pampered, cooked for, and cleaned-up after, and still have the people we love most nearby. Have a fabulous trip!!!

Archived