preventing seasickness

I am one of those pople who get sea sick very easy, even car rides can do it to me sometimes. so last year on our cruise I used scopolamine patches, but the side affect of dry mouth was terrible. nothing helped the dry mouth. 5 years we went to Jamaica and took the party boat ride up to ricks to see the jumpers. 10 mins out from the resort and I was already feeling sick and ready to hang my head over the side. I took one bonine and felt great. so I am wanting to know if anyone thought it would work good for a 7 day cruise. Does anyone know id bonine works as weel and without the dry mouth side affect? did I read somewhere the ingredients are the same? any opinions or experience would be helpful

I used Bonine all the time and it works quite well. Just got back from an 11 day Panama Canal cruise with two very rough days. Took the Bonine every day and was fine. Just be sure to take it BEFORE you start feeling queasy.

Start taking it a week before you cruise. This way it is in your system real good, then take way everynite at bedtime while on the cruise. I did this after I suffered on 2 other cruises. I never thought about been sick after I started taking Bonnie before the cruise.

Hope this works for you like it does for me.

BONINE! You will find it at drug stores, grocery stores, WalMart, etc

I take it the morning of the flight to the cruise 2 hours before we fly. Then every morning of the cruise when I awake. The fruity pill that dissolves in your mouth is a treat for waking up. I can handle the worst weather & 50 ft waves with no problem.

I am one of those pople who get sea sick very easy, even car rides can do it to me sometimes. so last year on our cruise I used scopolamine patches, but the side affect of dry mouth was terrible. nothing helped the dry mouth. 5 years we went to Jamaica and took the party boat ride up to ricks to see the jumpers. 10 mins out from the resort and I was already feeling sick and ready to hang my head over the side. I took one bonine and felt great. so I am wanting to know if anyone thought it would work good for a 7 day cruise. Does anyone know id bonine works as weel and without the dry mouth side affect? did I read somewhere the ingredients are the same? any opinions or experience would be helpful

This may sound crazy but if your concern is the side effects then try some of the over the counter meds at home for a couple of days. If you have the bad effects you can stop them with out worry about getting sick.

Every med works a little bit differently on each person. I have used the patches and various OTC meds and I have no side effects, not even drowsiness from any of them, but as you experienced others are really bothered.

I have used non-drowsy Dramamine and still could drink if I wanted to. I, also, carry SEABANDS. My DH swears by these. He puts them on each wrist and is good to go. They work on pressure points and do not have any drugs. Also, found some ginger gum that I took with me but didn't need to try. As another poster said, try various things at home to see how the work for you.

I am the same as you...I even get sick driving the car myself, that I feel is pretty sad. I discovered Bonine on my last cruise in April. I was using the patch and lost my vision,a side effect then started using the Dramamine I brought just in case. When I ran out of that I had DH go down to the ship shop and he picked up the Bonine. I used that for the remainder of the cruise and will use it for now on. For me it worked better than the others I have tried with no side effects. Minimal dry mouth and I wasnt tired.

Good Luck and Happy Cruizin!!

Guest rfrenchbaxter

Everyone has made some good suggestions. I feel for you all as I suffer from motion sickness. There are a lot of threads about this and I think all contain about the same info.

Bands do not work for me, Bonine works great, Dramamine works great also. Get the less drowsy kind though, regular makes me sleepy. I also take prescription meds. for motion sickness.

I agree with other post, BE SURE to start meds. before you travel. I always start 2 days before flight. Also, if you are going to take something you have never taken before try it a week or two before you go to make sure your body can tolerate it.

The Ginger pills DID not work for me. If you have a sensitive tummy anyway they can give you gas and heart burn.

I also take sugar free Ginger Ale on the ship to sip on sometimes. Ginger Ale can also help an upset stomach.

Th patches are a no no with me, I tried them and I had blurry vision, dry mouth, and I went through periods of memory loss! My Dr. said sometimes that can happen with the patches.

If you get really sick on the ship you can go to the DR. on ship and he/she can give you an injection.

Good luck!

well, last year we were on Enchantment and on the last day at sea, we had very large waves, captain warned us the night before. People were sick everywhere. they had the sick bags placed all over the place. People getting off elevators and vomiting. I had cruised before that so I know it is not always that rough of seas. I had the transderm scopolamine patch on and although I felt shakey and woosy I never got sick to my stomache. My sister used the scopolomine pills, prescription strength, just the dry mouth all week was terrible side affect. So I have the patches but think I will pick up some bonine. I am hoping if it works as well, it may not have the dry mouth affect so badly.

I am also very susceptible to motion sickness. I have found both Bonine and ginger pills to work equally well. Since I discovered ginger, I haven't bothered with Bonine. My Mom tried ginger this past cruise and it works great for her also.

No side effects that we experienced.

I start taking ginger the day before the cruise. I don't like to take chances on even starting to get sick.

Mom just took hers when she started to feel a little queazy. A few minutes later, she was fine!

Dorie

I also swear by the Bonine, but I have discovered that you can get the generic version from the pharmacy for much less money. I can buy 100 "meclizine" tablets (that is what is in the Bonine) for about $5 or $6 dollars, whereas the Bonine is 8 tablets for about $4.

The generic comes in a chewable, rasberry flavored version.

Mary Lou

Archived