Question re: Nikon D50 SLR Camera

JJHA04

I recently got this as a gift to use on my upcoming Tahitian cruise. My question is if I'll be able to somehow use it underwater? I know there are underwater casings that can be used, but are there any that would hold this one?? Or would it be better to use this camera for land or dry shots and use something else for underwater pics? Any suggestions?

Look forward to your responses,

Joe

Congrats on your new gift. I also got one too, and did do a search on underwater cases and the ones I found where quit expesive. So I decided since I was not going to use it that much I passed on the case. You might search some scuba sites and see if they camera cases.

Also if you are like me, I know someone with a Nikons!

good Luck and enjoy your new gift

• 3 weeks later...
I recently got this as a gift to use on my upcoming Tahitian cruise. My question is if I'll be able to somehow use it underwater? I know there are underwater casings that can be used, but are there any that would hold this one?? Or would it be better to use this camera for land or dry shots and use something else for underwater pics? Any suggestions?

Look forward to your responses,

Joe

Hi Joe,

I have a Nikon D50. It's a fine camera but unless you get the casing that's more expensive than the camera you can't use it in water.

There are great inexpensive Waterproof digital cameras. I think Olympus has them and mayne Casio as well.

My friend bought a Panasonic and it leaked the first time he used it. They replaced it but it's a good thing he tried it at Laguna Beach before going on vacation.

I have a Nikon D70 and bought the Ewa-Marine housing from B&H. It worked and I only had one close call! I do have my camera on a protection plan and if it got damaged it would have been replaced free of charge. If you don't have that then maybe it is not a good idea to take it in the water! My biggest complaint was that it was hard to focus it and a lot of my pictures were out of focus. Also it was very hard to swim with the camera, it is very heavy and got in the way. I am going to go with a disposable camera next time. The housing will come in handy for other things though.

Carla

Some of Nikon's new point and shoot cameras (non-dslr) have reasonably priced cases, but Nikon doesn't seem big on that. I bought a Fuji F30 and a Fuji case, spending $325 total. Better than the cheapest case for my DSLR, which is $1300. :eek:
Mountainhouse is right, cheaper to go out and buy a separate housing and non-DSLR camera. I found a housing for my Olympus E500 for "only" :rolleyes: $1200.

I also have the EWA housing from B&H. It was expensive, but it works great. I use a D70 with it and it does have trouble focusing sometimes. It is much slower underwater than normal.

I have the same camera and case as Mountainhouse - a Fuji F30 with the underwater case. It works great! I used to have the F10 and I killed it twice (I shoot A LOT). This F30 has much more features and I love it! I just used it today, actually!

Ok, I think I'll be going with the underwater disposable cameras. My question is if the film can be replaced with any of them or do you have to keep buying cameras that are only for one-time use?

Any recommendations on good disposable ones? Thanks.

Ok, I think I'll be going with the underwater disposable cameras. My question is if the film can be replaced with any of them or do you have to keep buying cameras that are only for one-time use?

Any recommendations on good disposable ones? Thanks.

I think they are all one-time-use. I don't think there are good or bad cameras. We usually buy whatever is cheapest.

BTW, how is the D50? I love mine and haven't touched 1% of it's capabilities.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For my last trip to The Mayan Riviera I bought an Olympus Stylus 720 SW. I also have The Nikon D 70 but did not want to invest in the underwater housing. The Olympus takes great pictures, and you can take it underwater up to 10 feet. The only drawback is the viewfinder. Sometimes if you're underwater and it's really bright it's hard to see what you're shooting. But the pictures I took came out great. And it;s a great camera to take with you because it's so small you don't mind carrying it.

Check these out.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k288/Donnaluv2cruise/119retouched.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k288/Donnaluv2cruise/082retouched.jpg

Archived