Any (recent) Queen Victoria Construction photos out there?

ebrunoski

I just posted some pictures of the Queen Victoria float-out ceremony here:

Were you there, greybeard?

Couple of observations:

Bow - looks a bit finer than other Vista class, but not really the sharp ocean going bow of either of her sisters.

Bow thrusters - looks like she uses grills, rather than doors as QM2 does - is this because she also sails at slower speed than QE2/QM2?

Funnel: Wonder why they did not carry the casing up to cover those smoke pipes - which would also have helped give her a taller more elegant funnel a la QE2, rather than the short dumpy Verezanno job of the QM2 - does anyone know if her superstructure is so high she faces similar bridge clearance issues a la QM2?

Peter

Guernsey

Yes, Yes, I know, I'm only allowed to go 'oh isn't she beautiful, I shouldn't comment until I've seen her........'

Were you there, greybeard?

Couple of observations:

Bow - looks a bit finer than other Vista class, but not really the sharp ocean going bow of either of her sisters.

Bow thrusters - looks like she uses grills, rather than doors as QM2 does - is this because she also sails at slower speed than QE2/QM2?

Funnel: Wonder why they did not carry the casing up to cover those smoke pipes - which would also have helped give her a taller more elegant funnel a la QE2, rather than the short dumpy Verezanno job of the QM2 - does anyone know if her superstructure is so high she faces similar bridge clearance issues a la QM2?

Peter

Guernsey

Peter,

1. Bow is identical to the Vista class... just painted differently.

2. Grills instead of doors... low service speed as you say.

3. Height of funnel limited for possible cruising in Alaska... problem there with power cables.

Stephen

1. Bow is identical to the Vista class... just painted differently.

2. Grills instead of doors... low service speed as you say.

3. Height of funnel limited for possible cruising in Alaska... problem there with power cables.

Thanks for clarifying Stephen. On the January QE2 Transatlantic Ted Scull made the point that the QE2 was able to maintain 24 knots through a moderate/heavy swell and force 8 gale as her bow enabled her to do that - a 'cruise ship' would have to slow down to 12-15 knots - what would be your guestimate be for the QV in similar conditions? I like Bruce Peter's suggestion, on another board, that the exhaust vents look like chimney pots on a Victorian tenement! Though I doubt that was the intent - if saving weight was not, then what?

Peter

Guernsey

Thanks for posting these Penny.....thats not you in them is it?

Peter

Guernsey

LOL Peter...no not in these photos but if you should happen to see one of the QM2 with this demented looking woman clinging to the funnel, THAT would be me! I managed to elude them that far before they dragged me off her.

Cheers, Penny

Does anyone know why Nassau is painted over SH on the stern?

The current owners, Fincantieri, have registered her there - when they transfer ownership to Cunard, Cunard will register her in the UK.....we hope.....

Peter, Guernsey

The current owners, Fincantieri, have registered her there - when they transfer ownership to Cunard, Cunard will register her in the UK.....we hope.....

Peter, Guernsey

Yes, I was there. That's how I managed to take the pictures.

The ship WILL be registered at Southampton, its home port, when it is handed over to Cunard. The Nassau registration is a temporary measure for Fincantieri's convenience.

Yes, I was there. That's how I managed to take the pictures.

The ship WILL be registered at Southampton, its home port, when it is handed over to Cunard. The Nassau registration is a temporary measure for Fincantieri's convenience.

Greybeard,

Actually the reason the ship shows Nassau as Port of Registry is because the ship is being built to comply with the Bahamian Registry requirements and as the ship is to be registered offshore there are certain taxes and duties which do not apply to a vessel being built for EEC registry.

At the moment the vessel is not registered anywhere. Nassau is only the intended registry. On completion of trials and official acceptance from Fincantieri, Cunard registers the ship at Nassau. Once the ink is dry on the documents, there is formal application made to re-register the ship under UK flag. This is done immediately and as the ship is coming into the registry as 'second hand tonnage' the rules and requirements for a 'new' vessel are waived. The paint crews then paint out the word Nassau and paint in Southampton. The whole process takes less than five minutes. All of HAL's recently built ships do this double registry thing when they are built.

Stephen

Sea-Sea, Look at the pic of the stern again.

SOUTHAMPTON can be seen on it, but painted black with NASSAU over it. Fincatieri, the ship's builders, have registered her there. When she is handed over to Cunard, they will change it to SOUTHAMPTON.

It was just stated in the topic above if you missed it.

Sea-Sea, Look at the pic of the stern again.

SOUTHAMPTON can be seen on it, but painted black with NASSAU over it. Fincatieri, the ship's builders, have registered her there. When she is handed over to Cunard, they will change it to SOUTHAMPTON.

It was just stated in the topic above if you missed it.

Archived