QM2 review...My Affair To Remember

patwell

Pat - I know that this is an old thread, but I'm happy to have discovered it. Your writing gift is very rare. Thanks for sharing it - the QM2 is breathtaking when seen through your eyes.

I'm off to read all of the "affair" installments.....:)

My,what a surprise to see this return. Thank you QM2Dreamz, I'm so pleased you managed to find it. And I thank you for the compliment....very kind.

If you have not yet experienced this magnificent lady you must...then you will see for yourself just how breathtaking she really is. Words cannot really do her justice despite my feeble attempt. My heart melts every time I stand on a dock under that spectacular bow and look up....pure elegance.

I do hope you'll enjoy her as I have done. Yes, this is an old thread by now, but the "Affair" continues and deepens. Thank you again for reviving this little tale of mine....

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour...

2010....the “Affair” is indecisive, but back to QM2 for 14 days somewhere

Penny: You have written all the words and emotions I have felt about the lady..but could not put them to paper as well as you. I also feel in love with her.....and booked a 2nd trip in November 2010. Keep writing Penny...I look forward to your next post.....

What a lovely thing to say Corkala...thank you! She must surely be my muse as the chapters of this grand "Affair" of mine continue to be written. I keep saying perhaps a little book...and I keep writing as the "Affair" just grows and grows with each crossing and cruise. One of my favorite chapters is our departure from New York on the fantastic Tandem Crossing with QE2 on her final crossing ever....now that was magic of a special sort. I read it and get tears in my eyes each time as I remember the images of that never-to-be-forgotten night.

You have obviously found, as so many of us have, that once is never enough. I hope your voyage in November will be as delicious as all of mine have been.

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

I agree, Penny has a way with words, her descriptions are superb, her prose is beyond praise, her writing grabs and involves her readers on many levels. Re-reading this made me realise, all over again, how useful and informative it is.

Some of us can’t write anything. Many others, like me, have a go at writing our thoughts and memories down. But Penny shows us how it should be done, with wit, style and deep understanding of her subject.

I am so very pleased to see this thread once more, it is a joy to read again.

Thank you

Ahhh Pepper...how you flatter me again with such generous praise....saying thank you never seems to be enough. Your encouragement when this was being written in the beginning and for the subsequent chapters that I've finagled you to critique has meant so much, but most of all it was your own fantastic review that spurred me on in the first place. What can I say....you know me so well.;)

Cheers, Penny

It is wonderful isn't it? When we were planning our honeymoon TA last year, I read this and it convinced me to book. I was right! My DH cannot wait for our next trip (yet to be booked :()

Bispham Boo...that's one of the highest compliments I can have for my writing. Many thanks!!! I"ve had others tell me they booked after reading it too and I can't thank you enough for saying that. What a romantic place for a honeymoon! As the catalyst for your booking I"m so pleased you seem to have found what I have on that great ship and plan to book again...obviously you had your own wonderful "Affair" as I continue to have. Don't wait to long!!

Last summer QM2 took me home to my roots....a true voyage of the heart to a place I love on a proper ocean liner once again, just as I did thru my childhood, New York to Oslo, Norway....the stuff dreams are made of, and QM2 made them come true.

Cheers, Penny

I just returned from the Holiday Voyage on the QM2 and during our Meet & Greet, Patwell's review was mentioned by one of the members.

Patwell, "The Big Lady" is looking forward to seeing you back soon.

Just read your affair, it brought back lovely memories for me. Really looking forward to our next trip on QM2 in September for 12 whole nights, can't wait.

One thing I realised from reading your post we did not use the Commodore Club enough, will deffinately be going in there a lot more often. I think when it is your first time on the QM2 you just try to fit as much in a possible. However, the second time around can be all about going in the places we liked the most.

We will be on second sitting and will get organised earlier to take in the Commodore Club for a martini or two before evening meal.

Thanks again Penny for reminding me of the great time we had.

Catherine

Hi Penny (sorry about calling you Pat previously)!

I sure hope you publish as I will be first in line to purchase the book. It would be beautiful as a small leather bound book sold in the Queen Mary logo shop. If I were in publishing....

:)

Alas, I have yet to "meet" her in person, but am determined to do so at the first opportunity. I know that I will be as enamored with her as you - I hope she'll be ok with new "affairs"...

• 2 weeks later...

What fun to see new members of Cruise Critic discovering Penny's amazing review. It is a timeless review and has so much wonderful information for anyone planning a voyage on the QM2. If you have already sailed on the QM2, this review will help you relive wonderful memories. Enjoy!!!

• 1 year later...

Hello again my dear Friend!! Here am I on the Cunard first time for a couple of years!! I have still been cruising but with Celebrity including to OZ and all over the place.

But TODAY I have booked the Home Coming on the Queen Elizabeth 20 nights and I leave on the 30th March. Yes 2 weeks on Wednesday. I made an enquiry today and after a call and a return one confirming prices the deal was done.

All paid up need to look now and see just where I am going. The other option of the QM2 due to sail on the 2nd April both out of Dubai (so tired and very excited not sure if it is Dubai or Dubia) Forgive me if it is wrong!!

Again I am liberated and sailing on my own! I got a fantastic deal Flight from UK with Emirates transfers and a A3 balcony room all for the grand total of £1820 Yes you read correctly! It is a steal! I would also asked if I would like to be considered for an upgrade and of course I said yes.

I came home after 8 weeks in Austalia 6 weeks ago and my Son laughed when I called him in Ireland. He said when are you going? August/September and I said no in 2 weeks!!

All this looking to book a cruise started last Thursday as my Friend June and I will cruise on the Celebrity Solstice in the Med in probably July or maybe September. She is not impulsive so keeps pondering me I can decide in an instant. Price! You have a deal what is there to wait about!!

I have another little Granddaughter born last July Isla Grace. I have been over twice to see her. Stephen and Roisin now have Keela 8 Eva 6 and their beautiful little Sister.

I am going over on the 3rd June and Keela will make her First Communion on the 5th. I am only staying 5 days but the flight is only 40 minutes.

I want to read your adventures and looks like there have been a good many since I last conversed with you.

For me now it is no chocolates for the next 2 weeks!! Isn't it fortunate that I have just bought 2 new evening dresses. They require shortening so will be going there tomorrow!!

I do hope that you and your beloved Husband are well and that he forgives you for the AFFAIR to REMEMBER!

God bless

Sue

Archived