QM2 review...My Affair To Remember

patwell

WOW...I just noticed this...my last post was the 200th on this thread...whoever thought my little review would get such interest...WOW!!

Cheers, Penny....really flattered

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

And I can't wait for the "Affair" to continue.....what do you think??? Do you think QM2 will remember me???;)

Now I ask......How could the QM2 forget you? I'm glad that not only are you continuing your affair but taking Beth along for the ride this time.

Hard to believe yet another year is coming to a close but hope its not the end of the affair.........

David

Now I ask......How could the QM2 forget you? I'm glad that not only are you continuing your affair but taking Beth along for the ride this time.

Hard to believe yet another year is coming to a close but hope its not the end of the affair.........

David

Indeed. Wherever I went I thought of Penny. As if the ship was whispering her name...;)

Or it might have been how she inspired me to enjoy every minute and I also took her advice--the less you sleep the longer the voyage is--you can sleep when you get home.

David

Why thank you David...I sure hope not. And what fun it will be to have beth along this time!! I sure hope she doesn't woo QM2 away from me though!!

Can't imagine the affair ending, can you??? But now I can't wait to see where it leads to this time!! Hmmm, the thoughts one gets....;)

Cheers, Penny

Indeed. Wherever I went I thought of Penny. As if the ship was whispering her name...;)

Or it might have been how she inspired me to enjoy every minute and I also took her advice--the less you sleep the longer the voyage is--you can sleep when you get home.

Thank you Angela...what a sweet thing to say. So, you really think you heard her looking for me??Maybe she was missing me just a little??:rolleyes: Am I truly delusional and in need of locking up??? ;)

Cheers, Penny

Thank you Angela...what a sweet thing to say. So, you really think you heard her looking for me??Maybe she was missing me just a little??:rolleyes: Am I truly delusional and in need of locking up??? ;)

Cheers, Penny

Shoot, I think we've already established if there was any locking up to be done, the locking-up places would be full to bursting with the lot of us.

Yes, I thought of you often. Which surely means she remembers you and anxiously awaits your arrival...;) I especially thought of you when I was so tired I could hardly walk even down the stairs....:eek:

And what fun it will be to have beth along this time!! I sure hope she doesn't woo QM2 away from me though!!

Cheers, Penny

Not a chance! I want your "Affair" to continue forever!!

Beth

Hi Penny.. days hopefully will continue to pass quickly as Nov. 10th can't arrive soon enough. So question?? Is the next review of your affair entitled part deux , II, 2 or a continued saga either way I'd like a signed copy!!

Looking forward to an Excellent Adventure:)

Barry

Hi Penny.. days hopefully will continue to pass quickly as Nov. 10th can't arrive soon enough. So question?? Is the next review of your affair entitled part deux , II, 2 or a continued saga either way I'd like a signed copy!!

Looking forward to an Excellent Adventure:)

Barry

Hi Barry...how nice to "see" you here too...and thank you for stopping by.

As to the next review....ahhh, who knows. Does absense make the heart grow fonder? Will the lovers meet at the foot of the Empire State building (substitute Red Hook:eek: ) as planned??? Does a lady really tell how the "Affair" progresses? I'd like to think of it as a continuing saga as I patiently wheedle Steve for a B2B TA next spring as well as Nov of 2008. Obsession is like that....one just can't get enough! OOOPS, I think I've said that before!!;) Or was it "addiction"...I get them so confused when it comes to QM2!!

And I shall happily sign the sequel to you as we will be sharing the "Excellent Adventure" together :D

Cheers, Penny...see you on the Roll Call!!

Penny

I can't wait to read the next part of your affiar... I'm looking forward to the excitement and surprises you've got in store, it will be a joy to read.

A note of caution however, aren't you concerned that the first item on your on board account will be the bill for the damage you caused on departure last year?:D

Very best wishes, I can't wait to hear all about your voyage.

Penny I am so happy to see the activity on your AFFAIR again. It all takes me back to July and my BTB. Yes do the BTB it was great and as you so rightly say the sea days are best of all.

Me I have done nothing further about my booking. WHY? Yesterday after battling with this chest infection I had an emergency appointment with my GP. (Dr) I am now on a course of antibiotics so that should perk me up. Got a call from ALI and she is her price is miles away from what I have been quoted by 2 other agents.

I am just stepping back for a day or two. Wrapped up warm and I do feel my legs are less lead like today. Mind you I am still not dressed or have done anything as yet.

November 10th looms near and so too does my 21st October. Looks like Century is all but sold out. I called Cunard and there is still good availibility and also I am flexible about dates so if one is full then I can do another. NY Hotels I will put a post on and see what the good people out there can come up with.

Have a good day and keep dreaming.

Sue

• 3 months later...

Penny,

I am a new comer to the boards, and....

I have to say that you were recommended as a must read for me, I plan on booking for a upcoming event, grades do well.

I must admit that I was not too interested in ships, they were cool, and they were fun. But I was a fan of the ships of the White Star Line, from that time frame, and then... in a AAA store, I found it, a booklet, that I got for free about her. The QM2.

What got me, was that she was toted as the first Ocean Liner built since the QE2 roughly, and it was truely love at first sight, in a sailor term. The ship had me like the Titanic did when I was a child, and... oh, your story has fired my desire to see her in person even more so.

You have put into words that say what I think about the ship, and how I dream of how the experience will be like, and you have given me insight of what it is really like on the ship.

I have echo an older saying, but if Cunard is looking for a someone to write their next season brousore, they should talk to you.

Thank you for your wonderful review of the ship, and I look forward to reading about your latest trip.

Penny,

I am a new comer to the boards, and....

I have to say that you were recommended as a must read for me, I plan on booking for a upcoming event, grades do well.

I must admit that I was not too interested in ships, they were cool, and they were fun. But I was a fan of the ships of the White Star Line, from that time frame, and then... in a AAA store, I found it, a booklet, that I got for free about her. The QM2.

What got me, was that she was toted as the first Ocean Liner built since the QE2 roughly, and it was truely love at first sight, in a sailor term. The ship had me like the Titanic did when I was a child, and... oh, your story has fired my desire to see her in person even more so.

You have put into words that say what I think about the ship, and how I dream of how the experience will be like, and you have given me insight of what it is really like on the ship.

I have echo an older saying, but if Cunard is looking for a someone to write their next season brousore, they should talk to you.

Thank you for your wonderful review of the ship, and I look forward to reading about your latest trip.

Hello Cunard Dreamer....and welcome to our board. What a wonderful surprise it was for me to find my review bounced back to the first page again. And what lovely thoughts you've written here to me.

Thank you so very much! I am honoured that my words touched you and helped to fire your dream to sail on the lovely QM2. I felt exactly the same as you when I saw my first picture of her....love at first sight. I never thought that was possible but she certainly snared my heart from the very first. Like you I am a huge fan of the old ships and am more and more grateful as time goes on that I had the privilege of sailing on some of them. They are wonderful memories to have and QM2 continues to stir them up for me....I am truly addicted to her I fear. She has an allure that has bewitched me for sure and I hope that she will one day do the same to you.

Don't give up on that dream to sail on her...it is something you will always cherish, just as I cherish the memories I have of those long ago voyages of mine. We can never return to the days of the old ships but we can enjoy some of the feeling of what they were like in so many aspects of QM2. So if your grades must do well in order for you to do this, you must study hard and stay focused on your dream. I will wish for you that it be as wonderful as my dreams of her have become.

And thank you for your compliment about writing Cunard's next brochure. At the moment I am busily writing the continuation of my "Affair to Remember" as i look forward to fulfilling my own personal dream, to take a transatlantic once more and to do it on this grand ship so many of us adore. When that happens, the "Affair" will have come full circle as I return to my early roots of ocean liner travel. For me that voyage will have very special meaning and I hope to write about it and together with the original review, publish my "Voyages Remembered" hopefully early next year.

So what better place than on this very special thread to tell you that I am booked on the Oct 16th tandem sailing eastbound with QE2. I can think of nothing more memorable than to be alongside QE2 as she makes her final Atlantic crossing and to watch the last of the Atlantic greyhounds do what she does best. What an honour it will be to share that poignant voyage with such an elegant ship as the QE2 and to do it from the deck of the ship I have come to love wth a true passion.

Thank you again and do stay around and share your excitement with all of us on other parts of this forum. We'll all be happy to help you anticipate your own dream.

Cheers, Penny

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

2008...THE AFFAIR" GOES TRANSATLANTIC..

Penny, I am also a new Cunard Cruiser and found your posts enthralling! They were so long and descriptive that I had to copy it into a word document and print it off for bed time reading!! It covers 12 pages you know.

After reading the whole thing, I fell asleep in a daze of QM2-ness! I dreamt of how our room will look and how I will enjoy the formal nights.... how did you get an invitation to the Captains table I wonder? You must have been delightful to talk to. Reading your review I think you are a very interesting person, I would invite you to dine with me!!

Anyway thank you for the review it was very entertaining and I will definitely take on board the hints and tips you provided on my trip on the 29th February from New York.

Joanna

Let me add my heartfelt thanks and admiration to those above, as your "Affair" honestly had me laughing and crying at work! You cannot believe the excitement I feel to be looking forward to a (short) journey on her majesty for this coming Presidents' Day "Beach Day Cruise"; reading your diary has raised my anticipation to unforseen heights! If my travelling companion and I have 1/10th the experience you have had, I will count myself lucky! I imaging I will be racing around to see all the wonderful places you described, but perhaps that will burn off some of the many calories I intend to consume. Happy sailing and may you never fall out of love!

Penny, I am also a new Cunard Cruiser and found your posts enthralling! They were so long and descriptive that I had to copy it into a word document and print it off for bed time reading!! It covers 12 pages you know.

After reading the whole thing, I fell asleep in a daze of QM2-ness! I dreamt of how our room will look and how I will enjoy the formal nights.... how did you get an invitation to the Captains table I wonder? You must have been delightful to talk to. Reading your review I think you are a very interesting person, I would invite you to dine with me!!

Anyway thank you for the review it was very entertaining and I will definitely take on board the hints and tips you provided on my trip on the 29th February from New York.

Joanna

Hi Joanna...and THANK YOU!! What lovely things to say, and yes, I turly had the most memorable "Affair"...both times, the one I wrote about and the one not written yet. As to that grand invitation, darned if I know other than the fact that our Captain is also a Golden retriever "parent" as am I....

I wish you the most memorable trip as well...please don't trip on my clawmarks in the Commodore Club! I must find a better hiding place next time.

And thank you for the dinner invitation...I'll be arriving in the UK on Oct 22nd...on QM2 of course as the "Affair" continues....I'm free anytime after that!;)

Cheers, Penny

October 16, 2008...the "Affair" goes Transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage....what a thrill!

Let me add my heartfelt thanks and admiration to those above, as your "Affair" honestly had me laughing and crying at work! You cannot believe the excitement I feel to be looking forward to a (short) journey on her majesty for this coming Presidents' Day "Beach Day Cruise"; reading your diary has raised my anticipation to unforseen heights! If my travelling companion and I have 1/10th the experience you have had, I will count myself lucky! I imaging I will be racing around to see all the wonderful places you described, but perhaps that will burn off some of the many calories I intend to consume. Happy sailing and may you never fall out of love!

And thank you as well SeaMates...I am so pleased when others enjoy my ramblings! And a bit of a secret....I still laugh as I remember various things about that trip and I've been known to get a tear in the eye when I remember the most special moments of both voyages.

Do enjoy your cruise...any time spent aboard is wonderful, so just do what I did and turn left instead of right....you walk off those calories but you also find the most delightful places. Stay up late and get up early too...you get more time that way! I hope you'll fall in love too...

Cheers, Penny

October 16, 2008...the "Affair" goes Transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage....what a thrill!

And thank you as well SeaMates...I am so pleased when others enjoy my ramblings! And a bit of a secret....I still laugh as I remember various things about that trip and I've been known to get a tear in the eye when I remember the most special moments of both voyages.

Do enjoy your cruise...any time spent aboard is wonderful, so just do what I did and turn left instead of right....you walk off those calories but you also find the most delightful places. Stay up late and get up early too...you get more time that way! I hope you'll fall in love too...

Great advice, Penny! Not sure about the turning left instead of right (do most people turn right? I am a lefty so I am not aware of this pattern...) but assume it means that you end up in the less travelled areas...will keep that in mind...My partner has already said "I think I will need to stay up later with you rather than going to bed" for this upcoming cruise, as on our recent 11-night cruise, he felt like he missed out when I would recount my adventures (nothing shocking!) the next morning - all the fun, interesting, social moments I had the night before.

I am in love already, mainly due to my vicarious joy at reading your travelogue, and look forward to seeing my own affair come to life outside my head!

Great advice, Penny! Not sure about the turning left instead of right (do most people turn right? I am a lefty so I am not aware of this pattern...) but assume it means that you end up in the less travelled areas...will keep that in mind...My partner has already said "I think I will need to stay up later with you rather than going to bed" for this upcoming cruise, as on our recent 11-night cruise, he felt like he missed out when I would recount my adventures (nothing shocking!) the next morning - all the fun, interesting, social moments I had the night before.

I am in love already, mainly due to my vicarious joy at reading your travelogue, and look forward to seeing my own affair come to life outside my head!

Ah SeaMates (love the name by the way)....turning left instead of right is merely my own dsylexic way of seeing more of the ship. I found myself ignoring all those great little signs that say "you are here", so instead of turning to go to the bow I'd find myself at the stern...and vice versa. I found the neatest stuff this way. Dyslexia has its moments!!!

And do be sure to keep your partner up....you don't want to miss a moment of being onboard. So do what I do...enjoy that affair in your head and it'll be ready when you board. I can't even count the number of days til Oct 16th...too dreadful to contemplate, thus no countdown clock!!;)

Cheers, penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

Hi Joanna...and THANK YOU!! What lovely things to say, and yes, I turly had the most memorable "Affair"...both times, the one I wrote about and the one not written yet. As to that grand invitation, darned if I know other than the fact that our Captain is also a Golden retriever "parent" as am I....

I wish you the most memorable trip as well...please don't trip on my clawmarks in the Commodore Club! I must find a better hiding place next time.

And thank you for the dinner invitation...I'll be arriving in the UK on Oct 22nd...on QM2 of course as the "Affair" continues....I'm free anytime after that!;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny,

We read your posts (I read them, in bed, to my husband. It seems a popular place!) after we had been on QM2 for the first time & had fallen totally in love with her. We went on QV for the TA with QE2 in january & she was lovely, but not our 'first love'. We are back on QM2 in september for the 'autumn sojourn'. 19 NIGHTS!!!!! 34 weeks today!!!:D We adore her &, as you may have guessed, can't wait!

Thankyou for your posts.

Sharon & Steve

Cheers, Penny

Penny, you are welcome anytime! We live 15 mins from Manchester Airport. :)

Which Captain did you have? Will he still be the Captain of the QM2?

By the sounds of it I will be making my own claw marks!! :p

Joanna

Penny, you are welcome anytime! We live 15 mins from Manchester Airport. :)

Which Captain did you have? Will he still be the Captain of the QM2?

By the sounds of it I will be making my own claw marks!! :p

Joanna

Thank you Joanna....a lovely invitation. However I'll be hanging around the southwest part of the UK with friends for a bit before I have to (GASP) board a plane and return home.

Captain Rynd was on with our Captain when I wrote the "Affair"...the loveliest gentleman and his wife was a delight. last fall he returned the day we disembarked...I am hopeful that at least one of the trips I have booked this year will see him as our Captain again.

Clawmarks are good...I believe there are some who will be following my lead. Such a lovely place the Commodore Club for clawmarks....see attached photo!!;)

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

OOOPS...sorry...forgot to add the photo...here you go....

Cheers, Penny

Archived