QM2 review...My Affair To Remember

patwell

I have just read this entire thread. I have been out to town and missed all the wonderful postings from Penny and all the lovely responses. You have truly captured the magical experience of sailing on the QM2. I have been transported back to 1967 when I first crossed on the Queen Mary. I have relived my voyages on the QM2. Like Penny, I never expected to love the QM2 like I do or to continue to travel on her. Penny, I loved every word and just wish your journey did not have to end. As so many others have stated so eloquently, you have a true gift for writing and we are all so blessed that you decided to share your experience with us. Yes, a voyage on the QM2 is truly a "high cotton" experience!!! Karie has hit the nail on the head (as usual!!!) by suggesting that Cunard use some of your words for advertising -- for a fee, of course! Now we are all hoping that you book another voyage very soon so we can sail along with you as you so beautifully share your amazing love affair with us.

Beth

And truly I do thank all of you who read these ramblings of mine, and especially those of you with such kind comments and encouragement for my writing. I appreciate those generous words as I expect my son, the REAL writer in the family, to read this thread. I know he'll appreciate how kind you have been to his Mother!

Malcolm...ahh, but this time my friend you are worng..yes Cunard of course but definitely the QM2...I shall make a believer out of you someday.

HAppy Cruzer and Bill and Charmaine...nice to have you stop by and thanks for the nice words. And doesn't one always love to share that new affair with others?

Karie...you thought of my bestemor...amazing, and probably true. (for the rest of you, bestemor is grandmother in Norwegian). Now about that bear...Babette!!! Are you listening? Shame on you!! Karie probably boosted your stock with your client and you didn't have the decency to pay her for all she did out of kindness to help you? WOW!! Sure doesn't help the credibility score...:eek: karie..I'll hug him for you.

Cusyl...if that book ever gets written it will come from such kind encouragement as I've found here. And I'll gladly autograph yours "to the kindest lady with the best lifeboat offer I've ever received"

Ruby...how terribly perceptive of you to know the lovers met a year later. How about 9 months? Like Nov 10th? Thanks for coming over to read my little story my friend.

Beth...again, without all your helpful advice this trip might not have been so easily undertaken. Grateful beyond words to you my friend too!!

And Pepper...so many thanks for your generous words of praise with each of these "episodes"...and you are right of course...it hasn't ended. And you have been too kind, so her is just a brief "epilog" if you will for all of us who have been smitten by QM2...

As I boarded I had a moment of worry that the year of dreaming might have been more fantasy than was actually possible. It wasn’t! Incredibly in an instant it seemed the week came and went. And left me with enduring memories

Those of you who have sailed her and loved her have probably nodded your heads in agreement as you read of my growing addiction. I have no doubt many of you understood what I fumbled to express. And like me, scheme to get back on her for your next “fix”. Addiction is like that...one can never get enough.

Those of you who are anticipating your first voyage on her are probably doing as I did and devouring every scrap of information you can find, and having your own dreams. I hope those dreams will come true for you as they did for me. Anticipation is like that...it can never come fast enough.

But I feel I must warn you all that my evil twin has not been sighted recently. She makes such frequent appearances that i notice when she’s missing. I’m worried she might have found the perfect hiding place and is still onboard seeing all those magical places the QM2 visits. So I’d caution you to watch out for her and avoid contact at all times...she has been known to make you order two desserts!

As for my addiction? My need for "the fix"? Tune in Nov 10th when once again I will be "Penny, Live from the QM2"....WE BOOKED TODAY!

Cheers, Penny....hmmm, the Bea of QM2...has a nice ring to it Karie... interesting thought!

Tune in Nov 10th when once again I will be "Penny, Live from the QM2"....WE BOOKED TODAY!

Penny

Just got up to see this wonderful news, congratulations!

I can see the scene now, you entering the Commodore Club again or gliding down the stairs in Britannia with all the waiters and bar staff around you singing "well, hello Penny, it's so nice to see you back where you belong"

If anyone from Cunard has read your review you will be welcomed back on board with the biggest celebrations since New Year. And you deserve it.

Do you have any pictures posted of this cruise that I could take a look at?

Thanks!

If you'd like to see pictures of the ship you could try http://community.webshots.com/user/pepperrn but if it's Penny's, then I've seen a couple and they are really great.

If there is anything you want to know and if I can help, please ask.

Pepper,

So enjoyed viewing all your pictures. We will sail the QM2 for the first time in May and what a great introduction for me.... I just cant wait to put on my dance shoes and do a waltz or tango on the Queens Room floor... Looks incredible!

Thanks again for sharing.

Hi Painter...thanks so much for the compliment!! Wow....As to photos, I have a bunch of nice shots but I'm a computer dufus and don't know how to post them for everyone to enjoy. I"m working on that little exercise, but in the meantime, do enjoy Pepper's shots. He has a fabulous eye for detail, a great camera and his photos are wonderful. I guarantee you'll enjoy them as I have...repeatedly!

Pepper...do you know what you started? I keep hearing this song in my head all day...over and over...how easy it is to switch Dolly for Penny...;)

Vic and Pepper...after all the nice comments from you guys it's probably only fair that I buy the first round...Commodore Club of course...white seats over the bow. And if one of you feels compelled to buy the 2nd round I'm a cheap "date" as I don't drink! So....November 10th...Commodore Club...first one's on me!:D

Cheers, Penny

Cusyl...if that book ever gets written it will come from such kind encouragement as I've found here. And I'll gladly autograph yours "to the kindest lady with the best lifeboat offer I've ever received"

"And DON'T FORGET TO SIGN THE CUNARD LOG BOOK!"

Penny,

I've been working late this week, and Marc and I both not feeling well-(Different problems. I figure tonight we'll swap and feel each others' pain! <G>) plus this old computer is about to give up the ghost. Sorry I have not responded to this sooner!

I can't see my way clear to go on November 10th unless I go alone.We will be in Key West the week before and his business would suffer with him gone for two weeks in a row. Not that you asked, but I would be honored to be there at the same time, even if you did not deign to look down upon this poor peasant from your royal perch. Perhaps I could come polish your high heels in the Commodore Club, for I am not worthy to be in your presence!

<EG>

And perhaps, (speaking of evil grins- Oh, you said evil TWIN-) Perhaps she is roaming around 6 deck with the purported resident ghost of the QM2. tapping on walls and ceilings, wafting past like an almost felt ocean breeze. Maybe scaring folks away, to make room for your much-heralded return, or perhaps preparing, with her impish sense of humor, the way for her lady!

Well, now you've set me to thinking. Hmmm, November 10th, Hmmmm.

At least I can look forward to the next book!

Karie,

who knows it is not to be, but still needs to book something soon!

Pepper,

So enjoyed viewing all your pictures. We will sail the QM2 for the first time in May and what a great introduction for me.... I just cant wait to put on my dance shoes and do a waltz or tango on the Queens Room floor... Looks incredible!

Thanks again for sharing.

smoothdancer

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed them, yes the Queens Room is very special, you'll love it I'm sure. Let us know all about your voyage.

Have a great time, and I'm sure I don't need to suggest you re-read Penny's wonderful review, it's the best!

(My rather less poetic and not nearly so well written review is several pages back (boohoo) Westbound crossing 24th September 2006)

Vic and Pepper...after all the nice comments from you guys it's probably only fair that I buy the first round...Commodore Club of course...white seats over the bow. And if one of you feels compelled to buy the 2nd round I'm a cheap "date" as I don't drink! So....November 10th...Commodore Club...first one's on me!:D

Cheers, Penny

Nov 10 ?????

Darn! ... I'm on the sailing before you! :(

Hi Painter...thanks so much for the compliment!! Wow....As to photos, I have a bunch of nice shots but I'm a computer dufus and don't know how to post them for everyone to enjoy. I"m working on that little exercise, but in the meantime, do enjoy Pepper's shots. He has a fabulous eye for detail, a great camera and his photos are wonderful. I guarantee you'll enjoy them as I have...repeatedly!

Pepper...do you know what you started? I keep hearing this song in my head all day...over and over...how easy it is to switch Dolly for Penny...;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny

"That" song, well, I'm sure that's the reception you deserve and will get when you set foot back on board. Surely, once you settle down in one of those deep white seats in front of the windows overlooking the bow, you'll feel that you've come home?

Thank you for the compliment about my pics, but I think it's you who've got an eye for detail, judging by the photos of yours that I've seen.

Now, how do I get the time off and the money together (I will have just retuned from the QE2), so that I can take one of the outside elevators to deck 9 and, as the doors open on the wonderfully atmospheric Commodore Club, see an elegant lady in her glitzy gown, centre stage (already planning "they got me off last time, this time, I'm staying")?

Once again, I'm very pleased and excited for you Penny, sincere congratulations!

Nov 10 ?????

VIC!

How could you!

The INTERNATIONAL Parrothead convention is the week before in Key West, with over 3500 Parrotheads "partying with a purpose" Sometimes "the old man" shows up, but that's not why any of us go. It's more for the people, the other bands, (Jimmy and the Parrots- Jimmy Maraventano from your neck of the woods will be there, as will Fingers Taylor, Sunny Jim, Jim Hoehn, Jim Morris, and many, many more fabulous performers) the great partying, even the service projects we do while there, the auctions, the "mini mart" the special events for us at the bars, the taxi (shuttle) drivers, whom many of us have gotten to know personally, the balcony decorating contest- which Marc and I won one year, with our full-sized, built out from the balcony, Tiki bar and animated Easter Island style tiki gods belching smoke, winking and flapping their jaws- All designed beforehand, materials (bamboo poles and palm fronds, giant margarita glass built from a plastic bowl, thin bamboo stalk for a straw, plastic plate for the glass base, PVC pipe for the stem of the glass, lime wedge from a Styrofoam round and painted to look like a lime; tiki gods made from Styrofoam and painted, with a fog machine for the smoke and simple servo-motors for the moving parts designed by Marc, plus lots of duct tape, twine, and paint) bought and shipped and built from scratch that week, no nails or destructive practices allowed - theme "Thank God the Tiki Bar is Open" Do you think we could do this on the balcony of the QM2? It worked on the Casa Marina's Balcony!)

What we used to do is do a cruise either before or after the convention, since we were already in southern Florida. We can't really do that any more, because of work, and it could be a bit exhausting, with all of the participating in stuff we do!

So why don't you sign up for MOTM (Meeting of the Minds) for Nov 1st thru the 4th (We usually go from Tuesday to Tuesday) then go on with Penny on the 10th!

Karie,

who is scheming how to do this!

Nov 10 ?????

Pretty poor planning on your part Vic!!! And with an offer on the table to buy the first drink too....Am I going to have to watch them bodily hauling you off? Will you make a scene? I do love a scene as long as it isn't me making it!!! :p

Cheers, Penny...in practice to be once again, "Live from the QM2....my, doesn't THAT have a nice ring to it!:D

"And DON'T FORGET TO SIGN THE CUNARD LOG BOOK!"

Penny,

I've been working late this week, and Marc and I both not feeling well-(Different problems. I figure tonight we'll swap and feel each others' pain! <G>) plus this old computer is about to give up the ghost. Sorry I have not responded to this sooner!

I can't see my way clear to go on November 10th unless I go alone.We will be in Key West the week before and his business would suffer with him gone for two weeks in a row. Not that you asked, but I would be honored to be there at the same time, even if you did not deign to look down upon this poor peasant from your royal perch. Perhaps I could come polish your high heels in the Commodore Club, for I am not worthy to be in your presence!

<EG>

And perhaps, (speaking of evil grins- Oh, you said evil TWIN-) Perhaps she is roaming around 6 deck with the purported resident ghost of the QM2. tapping on walls and ceilings, wafting past like an almost felt ocean breeze. Maybe scaring folks away, to make room for your much-heralded return, or perhaps preparing, with her impish sense of humor, the way for her lady!

Well, now you've set me to thinking. Hmmm, November 10th, Hmmmm.

At least I can look forward to the next book!

Karie,

who knows it is not to be, but still needs to book something soon!

What is this nonsense? peasants and such? HUH??? And you know you wouldn't miss the parrotheads for all the tea in China, and after the year you've had there is no way you are taking any cruise without Marc. If I can dance on deck, so can you...and you can't do it alone. It loses something that way!!:p

Now, as for the sequel? Yikes, this one was hard enough....it's one thing to share a budding affair with the world, it's another to tell them how it progresses after a year!!;)

Pull out that brochure that you keep within arm's reach, open the page, point and go!

Cheers, penny...who is a bad influence lately I think (evil town sighting anyone?)

Penny

Now, how do I get the time off and the money together (I will have just retuned from the QE2), so that I can take one of the outside elevators to deck 9 and, as the doors open on the wonderfully atmospheric Commodore Club, see an elegant lady in her glitzy gown, centre stage (already planning "they got me off last time, this time, I'm staying")?

Alright, that's it Pepper...you're coming! Here's the scheme....transfer QE2 to 2008...SOLAS won't have her yet for sure, and probably not for quite some time I'm betting. So she'll still be there...Then, and here's the easy part, tell Cunard you are going Nov 10th with a few very strange people. I can see it now....the outside elevator doors open, the muted light from the Commodore Club softly illuminates the entrance...a tuxedoed gentleman exits...all eyes turn to that corner as he steps out and surveys the room...from the shadows a voice is heard....Bond? James Bond? Welcome to the QM2.....

Do you see how easy this is getting?

Cheers, Penny

Worng? Will it hurt?Should I see a doctor?: Is it infectious?:confused: :D

Congratulations:)

Nothing so drastic...fear not! Merely highly contagious and totally addictive!!:p And thanks for the congrats...still floating over here...imagine that, and no ship in sight!:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

I can see it now....the outside elevator doors open, the muted light from the Commodore Club softly illuminates the entrance...a tuxedoed gentleman exits...all eyes turn to that corner as he steps out and surveys the room...from the shadows a voice is heard....Bond? James Bond? Welcome to the QM2.....

They don't call this year Two Double-Oh-Seven for nuthin'!

Karie,

who would love to see Penny and Pepper (even has a nice ring to it!) gliding sophisticated, across the dance floor, all eyes on them, as their respective partners sit back and appreciated their choice in partners.

Archived