QM2 review...My Affair To Remember

patwell

Hello Penny,

I just finished reading your " Affair". Wonderful! It was like being back on the voyage for me. When people ask me how the trip was I seem to forget and leave so much out. Reading your review reminded me of all the places and things I would forget to tell them. Sometimes when we have such high expectations it's easy to be let down a bit. I'm glad you weren't. Neither was I. It was great meeting you and Steve and all the rest of the C.C.ers.

Here's to the next voyage,

Randy

PS Hello, Beth, Karrie and Maria

Randy...how great to "see" you again!!! And thanks for reading my little story. Glad it brought back good memories. We're still alive over in roll call land...some things never seem to end. Make sure Janine reads this too and you'll have no trouble getting her to book! I'll pass along your greetings to the gals but stop by anytime and say hello.

Cheers, Penny

They don't call this year Two Double-Oh-Seven for nuthin'!

Karie,

who would love to see Penny and Pepper (even has a nice ring to it!) gliding sophisticated, across the dance floor, all eyes on them, as their respective partners sit back and appreciated their choice in partners.

I would be so honoured if I was thought in any way good enough to dance with a lady like Penny....

Karie...Pepper...you are both REALLY making me blush!! That's not nice to do to silver haired ladies of a certain age! Karie, you are incorrigible!:p Then again, a chance to dance with Bond? James Bond?.....;)

Cheers, Penny

Karie...Pepper...you are both REALLY making me blush!! That's not nice to do to silver haired ladies of a certain age! Karie, you are incorrigible!:p Then again, a chance to dance with Bond? James Bond?.....;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny

I'm brushing up on my Sean Connery accent as I type...

Dear Penny

I've been desperately trying to get a copy of your book the guide to QM2, all attempts to open links have failed for me. Myself and hubby will be on the Christmas celebration cruise 2007 I know it's a long way off but the excitment is overwhelming us. Please please could you email us a copy eternally grateful and many thanks.

Pauline & John panieszwiec@tiscali.co.uk:)

• 2 weeks later...

Penny,

Unlike so many reviews that I have read that are descriptive of places and events, your writing caputed the heart of the moment. You gave us a peek inside your heart as much as inside the QM2. I was there today, onboard, feeling the subtle rocking, sensing the granduor of the ship, experiencing the walk down the stairs, dressed in my tux, with my wife on my arm...I lived it all today...I've never been on a cruise, never even seen a ship up close (hope to rectify that soon)...but I lived it today...I felt like I was Jack on the Titanic...don't ya just love stories? Stories are the language of the heart...they are what speaks so profoundly to us...I had to go to the ATM after work today. It was cold, misty and rather dreary, and I kept feeling like I wanted to go back, back to the conversation I was having, go back to the ship, back to the Commador's Club for a drink before dinner. Your writing transported me to a different place. Thanks. I'd love some advice if anyone reads this post, I am considering taking the 4 day Labor Day trip with my wife for our 25th anniversary and would like to know as first time cruisers, is just getting on board enough, or do I splurge for the Princess Grill? I would be greatful for anyones advice or insight. I am already excited and haven't even booked anything...I just want my wife to be well cared for and enjoy the trip. thanks for any help you can give, and please keep writing...you have a gift.

Jimmy

Jimmy,

I was going to say Go for it.

Then I red Yojimbo's response and remembered my own "rise" through the levels of cruising.

One of the problems with starting at (well, near) the top, is you have nowhere to go from there.

I have discovered, if you had an outside cabin, you will never want an inside. After a balcony,. you will feel put upon if you have an outside. and so on. So, if you want to go "whole hog" (Smithfield, of course) on your first go-round, then go for it. but be forewarned, you'll never want to settle for less after that.

Then again. you only have 1 25th anniversary. I'll be she's worth it.

But I will say, the Britannia is so elegant and the Princess (to me) looks so ordinary- drab. Yes. it's upscale, but the Britannia is elegant style. It's grande style!

Take a good look at some of the pictures people have posted various places of the Britannia. You may find that to be well worth going on just a balcony cabin.

Karie,

who thinks that is one of the most romantic notions I have heard in a good long while. Are you going to spring it on her for Valentine's day?

I think you're a keeper, Jimmy!

Jimmy....what can I say. I am flattered beyond belief at your kind words about my review. And yes my review was truly heartfelt and I'm so glad you were able to feel my emotions thru my words. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this...it really made my day!

As to the trip I say TAKE IT!!! You will LOVE the QM2. She is every superlative you can think of and so much more. If you have never cruised before you will feel like royalty and your wife will feel pampered everywhere you go onboard. I truly have to say that you needn't go Princess Gill to feel special on this ship, and as Karie says, dining in Britannia is an event you will always remember. The room is so elegant...the Grills can't compete in that. And we found every meal to be a delight. But do treat yourself to a balcony. We were on Deck 11 with no obstructions and it was fabulous.

What a lovely thing to do for your anniversary. And just like I said in the review, you must tell Cunard that you are celebrating this wonderful event...make sure your TA notes it on your voyage personalizer. They will bring a cake to your table at dinner and sing to you...your wife will be enthralled. Keep it a secret as I did with my husband's birthday...so much more fun that way.

You have come to the right place to get your questions answered. We are all here to help in any way. Last year as I waited for my first trip on her, it was here that I received invaluable help, so ask us anything and we'll do our best to ensure that your trip is as memorable as mine was. And do what I did, read old postings about the various topics...there is a wealth of info there.

And truly, I do thank you so very much. What a lovely way to end my day with such praise ringing in my head. Let us know how we can help...and yes, just getting onboard is enough on this great ship. :D

Cheers, and thanks! Penny

All,

I am quite thankful for such quick responses! You are so nice to be helpful to a "virtual" stranger or as so aptly put, friends who haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet. It sounds like the consensus would be that a balcony room on this ship would be more than just adequate accommodations. Thanks, and I feel like the Britannia will be magical as the pictures are great. I will be sure to keep you posted as to the progress of these plans. I am truly indebted to you all for sharing your knowledge with me. Thanks.

Jimmy

Jimmy,

What a lovely description of Penny's Review! She certainly makes one feel like they are enjoying the journey with her.

The only additional suggestion I would make would be to book a longer cruise if possible. Four days is just not long enough to enjoy the QM2.

But whatever you book, I'm sure you will have a lovely time.

Beth

Thanks for your cruise story Patwell. We are cruising on the QM2 on our honeymoon on the 6th April 2008 out of New York and have the cabin booked right next door to the one you had so hopefully we may have the same cabin steward.

The ship sounds wonderfull.

Thanks Yorky...and congratulations on a terrific honeymoon choice! You'll love being up there on Deck 11. Our steward was named Arnel and he was a kind and gentle soul who took wonderful care of us. I hope he'll be there for you too. He's been with the ship since her maiden voyage.

I wish you the brightest future and may the QM2 give you "an affair to remember" too.

Cheers, Penny

Finally the moment had arrived....darkness had descended and the other ships in port had sailed. I had this moment of superiority watching them from the heights of QM2’s uppermost deck....and shamelessly I felt they paled by comparison. Somehow rock climbing walls, “movies under the stars” screens and bizarre hull art look a bit garish when one is sitting on a true work of art. I know, I know, love is delusional at times but after a few hours onboard I was beginning to recognize the signs.

Ironically, I just experienced this scenario from the deck of one of those other ships. My parents recently took my family on a Carnival cruise and the QM2 was docked right in front of us at Fort Lauderdale. Arriving at the dockt felt like a homecoming as I had not seen the ship since sailing on her. Even more, it was the first time I had ever been at a vantage point to see her in her entirety. I headed straight to the stern after boarding and spent the rest of the evening watching her. She became truly radiant as darkness descended as her warm, inviting lights were illuminanted. Even though it had been two years, I could picture exactly what all the stylish passengers looked like as they wandered the beautiful corridors on their way to an elegant meal. Nostalgia turned to despair as we began to pull away. I looked around me and the horror of what I was in for suddenly sank in for the first time. A whole week of bingo, hairy chest contests and singing waiters. Good God.

You were absolutley right to allow yourself a moment of superiority!:)

Peter

(P.S. Can I just say that after a year of surfing the Carnival boards for reasearch on my cruise, this board is a breath of fresh air. Complete sentences, civil discourse and not a glitter signature in sight. Sigh.)

Ironically, I just experienced this scenario from the deck of one of those other ships. My parents recently took my family on a Carnival cruise and the QM2 was docked right in front of us at Fort Lauderdale. Arriving at the dockt felt like a homecoming as I had not seen the ship since sailing on her. Even more, it was the first time I had ever been at a vantage point to see her in her entirety. I headed straight to the stern after boarding and spent the rest of the evening watching her. She became truly radiant as darkness descended as her warm, inviting lights were illuminanted. Even though it had been two years, I could picture exactly what all the stylish passengers looked like as they wandered the beautiful corridors on their way to an elegant meal. Nostalgia turned to despair as we began to pull away. I looked around me and the horror of what I was in for suddenly sank in for the first time. A whole week of bingo, hairy chest contests and singing waiters. Good God.

You were absolutley right to allow yourself a moment of superiority!:)

Peter

(P.S. Can I just say that after a year of surfing the Carnival boards for reasearch on my cruise, this board is a breath of fresh air. Complete sentences, civil discourse and not a glitter signature in sight. Sigh.)

Hi Peter....and thank you for reading my review. I'd just written you a reply but the "board gremlins" ate it!! You truly made me laugh when you mentioned your "horror" at what lay ahead for the week for you! I confess, I actually wondered to myself what must all those eople on those other ships think, and how jealous they must be of all of us on the QM2. Only one thing for you to do...BOOK NOW!!! DOn't wait! It's the only cure I know of.;)

So welcome to the Cunard forum...stay and chat with us anytime. We're a pretty civil bunch...most of the time...and I promise, NO "glitter signatures":eek:

Cheers, Penny...who felt guilty about that moment of superiority thing...but not for long!

I looked around me and the horror of what I was in for suddenly sank in for the first time. A whole week of bingo, hairy chest contests and singing waiters. Good God.

Are you sure that you weren't on a Cunard ship? :confused: That kind of thing does happen (not the hairy chests admittedly) but you can avoid it if you want.:)

Complete sentences, civil discourse and not a glitter signature in sight. Sigh.

I sometimes forget just how civil we are (can be:D )

Welcome to the Cunard boards

• 2 weeks later...

We will be sailing April 10th from NY, and are breathlessly excited. My dh and I have never been on a cruise. My mother crossed twice as a child on Cunard, and she is sweet enough to watch our children for us as we enjoy our extended vacation.

Penny, could you email me the handbook that you wrote. If the writing is half as eloquent as your "affair" I am sure we will have a wonderful time reading it.

Thank you

Tricia

rand"nospam"tyork@earthlink.net

remove the quotes for the addy.

We will be sailing April 10th from NY, and are breathlessly excited. My dh and I have never been on a cruise. My mother crossed twice as a child on Cunard, and she is sweet enough to watch our children for us as we enjoy our extended vacation.

Penny, could you email me the handbook that you wrote. If the writing is half as eloquent as your "affair" I am sure we will have a wonderful time reading it.

Thank you

Tricia

Tricia..,I tried to send you an email but it bounced back...I removed the quotes....Penny

Trish

I hope that you will join the CC on the 10 April voyage. Just add you name to the list and we hope that we shall meet up with you on the cruise. It is our first cruise for 40 years.

Thank you

Tricia

Dear poodlecruiser (Tricia) & DH,

I noticed your are also sailing on the 4/10 QM2 8 Days - Taste of the Caribbean out of Brooklyn. As Bpos stated that there is a Roll Call started for the sailing and I attached it below if you wish to sign on. We only have about a dozen CC'ers signed on and will together close to the date arrange our own gatherings (meet).

As we have been on the Mary in the past, and knowing that this is the first time you will be sailing and especially on the Mary - "You Have A Real Treat In Store". But, don't let her size fool you - we found her easy to navigate around by the 2nd evening.

I know that it will be a pleasure by all the CC'ers to meet you and your husband during a Warm, Restful & Relaxing Voyage on the "Queen of the Sea's!"

QM2 4/10-18/2007 8 Days - Taste of the Caribbean

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=8940570#post8940570

• 4 weeks later...

I finally figured out how to post photos so here's some pictures of the encounter that I mentioned above.

Family_Cruise_nov2006_(12).jpg

Family_Cruise_nov2006_(23).jpg

Family_Cruise_nov2006_(27).jpg

Family_Cruise_nov2006_(32).jpg

Family_Cruise_nov2006_(38).jpg

Archived