Lesbian Couples who love cruising

mithryl

My new love and I are going on the Olivia cruise on the Zuiderdam at the end of January. I have cruised several times before, but this is her first time.

I understand that many don't care for Olivia because of the prices, but it sounds worth it to me for the environment. :D

Anyone else going? I don't see a roll call for it . .unless MANY pages back.

I found your roll call thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=614560

I would say that Olivia's environment probably IS worth what they charge for it...I just can't AFFORD what they charge for it! If we had the money, we'd definitely go. I may make my wife go on one for our 25th anniversary, which will be 15 years down the road...so hopefully Olivia will still be around!

My girlfriend is not the girly type. Me, on the other hand, OMG, I cannot wait for formal night to throw on my hot little number. However, I'm getting kind of worried that we won't be able to go to formal night because she doesn't get dressed up and certainly will not put on a dress. So what do we do? Will a pair of dress pants and a button down shirt suffice? I mean, I'm talking about the kind from NY and Co? How have you no-so-lipstick-pantyhose-and-dress type of girls worked it?

- Lisa (preparing to tantrum on the floor if I can't go to formal night)

Also I'm new here so any help on how I add my favorite threads will be helpful.

Hi Lisa,

Back several pages you'll find other discussion about formal nights, but basically, your GF would be fine with black slacks and either a dressy (somewhat girly) top (like sequenes, shawls, etc. or a tux or tux look. The button down shirt by itself sounds a bit too casual. Would she be willing to do the button down shirt with tie and jacket? That's what many men do in lieu of a tux. I think a tux is a great formal look for women who prefer not to wear more feminine clothing. I think you would need to bring it with you, as the ship board rentals are sized only for men.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

Donna1009 - Hi there. We're on the Zuiderdam Olivia in January also. Hopefully we can manage to say hello on board somewhere. Maybe we can all wear a sign saying Olivia Cruise Critic Member, hahaha.

P3sgirl - Well, I feel the same way your girlfriend does. No dresses for me! My wife dresses to the teeth and so do I, but in a custom made tux with a silk shirt and a cameo or broach at the neck (instead of a tie). However, on the Olivia cruise I will wear a tie I think. The broach or cameo feminizes the tux just enough to make it ok on a straight cruise. We got lots of compliments last cruise we took on Celebrity's Mercury.

Mithryl - Too bad you guys aren't going on the Olivia cruise. We didn't get a chance to hang out on the Mercury. Have a great Christmas.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic holiday season!

Carol and Linda.

Hi Pussycat! We're counting down. When do you and Phyl arrive in FLL? We're taking the red-eye out of Seattle on Wednesday night, the 23rd, arriving in FLL Thursday morning, the 24th. We've never been to FLL before so we're pretty excited.

See you at the Alhambra.

Carol and Linda.

"I may make my wife go on one for our 25th anniversary, which will be 15 years down the road...so hopefully Olivia will still be around!"

Has anyone heard anything further regarding the lawsuit and counter suit between Olivia and the ex-employees? I haven't been able to find anything further talking about this situation. I'm curious as to what happened/will happen.

Carol and Linda.

Thanks for your response regarding my dp's dress options. She won't wear a tux or a tie. I guess I will just go shopping for her and see if I can find a happy medium.

My next question is do many young lesbians attend the FOD? We are in our 20's and would love to meet other 20 somethings or 30 somethings. I am really hesitant to attend FOD because my impression (please correct me if I am wrong) is that it is going to be like stepping into a gay club with guys cruising each other.

"I may make my wife go on one for our 25th anniversary, which will be 15 years down the road...so hopefully Olivia will still be around!"

Has anyone heard anything further regarding the lawsuit and counter suit between Olivia and the ex-employees? I haven't been able to find anything further talking about this situation. I'm curious as to what happened/will happen.

Carol and Linda.

Hi Carol & Linda!

I can't believe your '09 cruise was cancelled again!:mad: Are they just planning on keeping the ship "downunder" for another year?:confused:

Why don't you hop onto the RT Hawaii cruise we're taking on 3/2/08? :D It could be alot of fun to sail together when we'd have time to get to know each other more. I think there are still a few mini-suites and outsides (with or without balconies) available. It's not as grand a cruise as you had planned, but there are still a lot of sea days to enjoy and I'm sure it's less expensive than the 30+ day trip you had planned (especially the airfare to LA versus Sydney!). Just a thought.

We haven't planned ahead yet to 2009. I'm looking into the possibility of a Greek Isles & Med. cruise. I'm not use to putting out so much in airfare (about $1,500 ea.) as well as the price of the cruise. If we end up doing it, we'll probably fly over a few days in advance and stay a few days after the cruise as well. I'm also still considering the Panama Canal for 2009. I'll just need to wait a while and see what the finances are like in 2008.

Hope I can talk you two into Hawaii !! Aloha!;)

Hey, if, after the January cruise, you decide that Olivia is worth the $$$'s there's already a couple of great cruises planned for early 2009.

What does Olivia have planned for 2009?? I looked at their website and could not find anything for 2009. We are always interested in an Olivia cruise, we just can't ever decide if it is worth the extra money.

Hi Carol & Linda!

Why don't you hop onto the RT Hawaii cruise we're taking on 3/2/08? :D ]

Hi Mithryl - Much as a Hawaii cruise sounds terrific, we're doing an Olivia cruise Jan 26 thru Feb 2. Another cruise the following month is just not in the cards, either for time off (Linda) or money-wise.

However, the Med/Greek Isles and or Panama Canal in 2009 caused our ears to perk up. Both of those destinations, as well as the Amazon and or Antarctica, are on our 'like to do' list. We might be up for any of those with you guys. That would be lots of fun. Let's explore that after we each get back from our cruises.

Hope you guys have a terrific Christmas and New Year.

Cheers,

Carol and Linda.

Hey Ladies,

Merry Christmas to all! Missy and I are going on the Majesty of the Sea three day cruise January 25,2008. It's our Christmas present to our selves. I can't wait to get to swim in the warm water and relax together for a long weekend.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year! Happy Cruising!

shan9700:)

What does Olivia have planned for 2009?? I looked at their website and could not find anything for 2009.

So far there's a cruise on Windsurf out of Barbados in January 2009 & a Paul Gaugin cruise in Tahiti, March I think. If you are interested give Olivia a call.

Check out the Olivia website & you need to decide for yourself if you feel it's worth the $$$$'s.

happy Xmas..........

We are a gay male couple who have two wonderful gay gals as friends and neighbours. We ourselves cruise considerably but when we try to get our female friends to join us on a cruise they decline. From their questions we think one of their concerns may be dress code. Perhaps they would not like to be put into a position of having to dress up for formal nights. Apart from passing up formal nights, we would like to give them some idea as to how other gay women cruisers handle the situation or what you might wear for the occasion. But quite frankly we really do not know. Anyone like to comment on this?

We are a gay male couple who have two wonderful gay gals as friends and neighbours. We ourselves cruise considerably but when we try to get our female friends to join us on a cruise they decline. From their questions we think one of their concerns may be dress code. Perhaps they would not like to be put into a position of having to dress up for formal nights. Apart from passing up formal nights, we would like to give them some idea as to how other gay women cruisers handle the situation or what you might wear for the occasion. But quite frankly we really do not know. Anyone like to comment on this?

Hi Ron & Jon,

Welcome! If you read back through several pages, I think you'll get the answers you need. There has been lots of discussion on this thread about formal night attire. There are even some pictures posted.

Basically, tell your Les friends they have nothing to fear.:rolleyes:

They can choose to skip formal night and go to the buffet, or they can choose outfits that are dressy yet "them" depending on their preferences. The only folks that seem to have issues are those that choose, for whatever their personal reasons, to not "put on the Ritz" and strut their stuff. (Not an issue I've ever heard from any of our wonderful brothers!!) Some of my "sisters" seem reluctant to assume any kind of formal "persona".

To me it's like Halloween... be a queen, a king or anything in between! It's fun to play the game and to take pride in being the very best you that you can be!:D

You might invite your friends to check out this thread. We'd all be glad to tell them all the great benefits of cruising...and to advise on anything that makes them uncomfortable.

Several years ago, my image of cruising made me afraid to try it.:( My current partner, Bonnie encouraged me to try an Olivia cruise and I've been hooked ever since!:) (She had worked for Robin Tyler on some of her cruises).

I got over my fears very quickly and now love to "strut my stuff" on straight and gay cruises alike! I love it when the two of us pose for pictures on formal nights. I think the photographers enjoy it too! (many of them are gay.)

Even if they choose to avoid formal night, there's still plenty to enjoy...food (24/7), night life, pools, spa treatments, shore excursions, bars. etc.

Hope you can talk them into giving it a try!:)

My partner and I, who have been together for 11 years come February, just booked the Olivia cruise in January. I am 35 and she is going to be 52 (but will beat on me for writing that). Normally we wouldn't pay the extra for Olivia compared to the cruises we have done before, but Olivia sent me an amazing deal via e-mail that really helped make this more reasonable (I hate to say it, but it was a 2 for 1 off the early bird pricing). I am almost afraid we will get hooked and have to pay the full price when/if we cruise with them again. We love to cruise and did 3 mainstream cruises in 06 but for various reasons didn't cruise in 07 so this is a great way for us to start the new year. We are really excited.

Jenna

Mithryl

Thanks so much for your input on this matter. As suggested and being new to the site we have a lot of reading to do. And yes, the best way to alleviate any fears the gals may have about cruising is to introduce them to this site also. Especially if reading your response to our question. Thanks again.

Mithryl

Thanks so much for your input on this matter. As suggested and being new to the site we have a lot of reading to do. And yes, the best way to alleviate any fears the gals may have about cruising is to introduce them to this site also. Especially if reading your response to our question. Thanks again.

Your welcome. Hope you can talk them into joining our thread!!

Happy New Year everyone!!

My partner and I, who have been together for 11 years come February, just booked the Olivia cruise in January. I am 35 and she is going to be 52 (but will beat on me for writing that). Normally we wouldn't pay the extra for Olivia compared to the cruises we have done before, but Olivia sent me an amazing deal via e-mail that really helped make this more reasonable (I hate to say it, but it was a 2 for 1 off the early bird pricing). I am almost afraid we will get hooked and have to pay the full price when/if we cruise with them again. We love to cruise and did 3 mainstream cruises in 06 but for various reasons didn't cruise in 07 so this is a great way for us to start the new year. We are really excited.

Jenna

Welcome Jenna,

Have fun on your January Oliva Cruise. Others from this thread will be aboard with you!:) We look forward to hearing all about it when you return,,,and we promise not to tell your DP that you exposed her age on CruiseCritic!:rolleyes:

I also got the 2-for-1 from Olivia the other day. I didn't realize they send it to so many people, I know someone on another board who got it too. Of course we still can't afford it because I'm in school now! So the one we go on in about 6 weeks will be our last for a while.

I hope everybody had a wonderful New Year!

Oh and Jenna, my wife and I have a big age difference too - I will be 27 in two weeks and she will be 40 in September. Not as big a difference as you though! We are celebrating 10 years next month. :)

Hello all

I love to read this thread, but alas, so not join in , well maybe once!! Anyway my partner and I love to cruise, and have taken a few lately with the next one scheduled for march. She is in grad school,otherwise I would have jumped at the Olivia cruise in Jan..but I digress..We are starting to plan a Med cruise for June 09. We actually like the 12 day itin that Carnival has primarily as it does alot of italy , especially with 1 1/2 days in Venice..( a city I have dreamed about..)..this leads me to my worry,I mentioned to a friend our plans and she said that we should be very careful in Italy as it is not very gay friendly..This was news to me? Has anyone else had this problem. I mean we are not overly affectionate in public, but I also dont want to be kicked off my gondola!!! lol..

Any thoughts or input would be welcomed!!

Happy cruises

Mel

Hello all

We are starting to plan a Med cruise for June 09. We actually like the 12 day itin that Carnival has primarily as it does alot of italy , especially with 1 1/2 days in Venice..( a city I have dreamed about..)..this leads me to my worry,I mentioned to a friend our plans and she said that we should be very careful in Italy as it is not very gay friendly..This was news to me? Has anyone else had this problem. I mean we are not overly affectionate in public, but I also dont want to be kicked off my gondola!!! lol..

Any thoughts or input would be welcomed!!

Happy cruises

Mel

Hi Mel,

I've not been yet, but am also looking at a Greek Isles and Italy cruise for '09 or '10. I'd be interested in the same input from those who have gone before. Also considering a HAL 24 day repositioning cruise that I think starts in Rome, does Italy, Greece (with the Isles), Portugal and I think Spain, then does a transatlantic crossing and ends up in Ft. Lauderdale.

Hi Mel,

I've not been yet, but am also looking at a Greek Isles and Italy cruise for '09 or '10. I'd be interested in the same input from those who have gone before. Also considering a HAL 24 day repositioning cruise that I think starts in Rome, does Italy, Greece (with the Isles), Portugal and I think Spain, then does a transatlantic crossing and ends up in Ft. Lauderdale.

The 24 day Hal sounds great, but I dont think I can take more than 21 days off at a time!! Definately will be summer 09, as this summer I think we will finish some projects around the house, though maybe I will sneak one more in the Fall..

I love to research the trips, love to figure out what we will do in port, it is half the fun

Mel