Weather/Clothes in March

7SeasLover

We're leaving for South America on March 23rd. I thought I read that the weather will be in he 50's, so we're planning on several velour outfits, several jogging outfits and jeans and tees.

From all the collective experience from you on South America, do you think this attire wiil be appropriate for the time of year?

Duh... I didn't even think to list the itinerary...

Leaving from Buenos Aires march 25th

Montevideo

Puerto Madryn

Falkland Islands

Ushuaia

Punta Arenas

Puerto Chacabucco

Puerto Montt

Valparaiso/Santiago

We are actually planning for COLD weather. Being that we're from sunny Southern California, cold is anything below 65. I had read that the temps where we're going will drop down to 40 or 50. I guess I'm just trying to determine if velour suits for dinner and tees and jeans for day excursions will be satisfactory. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Sounds like a interesting cruise. Your idea of 50 is probably about right for most ports, though Santiago, should still be fairly warm then (it is autumn in this area in March, i was there in its's winter last year and during the day it was still t shirt weather).

I have been in the Falklands at this time and be aware that it can have first snow by then and heavy rain is more than possible. Buenos Aires and Montevideo should also be reasonably warm - more like upper 60's to low 70's. I would therefore advise packing layers that can be added or removed depending on your location. I would definatly pack a good quality out door waterproof coat (I wear Berghuas) and some footwear that you can walk in on uneven wet ground, as the Falklands have few roads.

Hope this helps

It will generally be VERY cold with ferocious winds in the Falklands and Puenta Arenas. MAKE sure you have hats, gloves, and a WARM (think Big Bear skiing) coat that is windproof. It also may snow (there was in inch of snow on the stern deck when we were sailing Cape Horn in February-still summer). Remember, you are only a short distance from Antarctica. The rest of the cruise will be 50's and up.

Archived