Captain's Cocktail party

BarbSW

Hi, I don't plan on bringing a lot of dressy clothes on my cruise (one for

formal night) so my question is, if you are invited to Captain's cocktail party, is it usually on formal night or some other night? How do people dress? Thanks.

There are really 2 parties.

The 1st is part of "formal" night & is where everybody has the option of having their photo taken w/ the captain.

The other is a private party given for certain VIPs. The dress for that is usually resort casual but people tend to kick it up a notch though not all the way to formal.

The last one I went to a year ago on the Sun was really disappointing, I know how everyone feels about the I am on vacation and don't want to dress up thing. but still it just left a icky feeling to see some people in suits and nice dresses meeting the Captain, in his Formal whites and Many in the line in shorts and flip flops. It just seems that people might be willing to at least go the extra 1/4 mile, or not attend. At least dockers and real shoes? or a sundress if you are a lady , not a halter and shorts? is that really too much to ask?

For dinner with the Captain/officers expect to be a little dressier. It was not the regular formal night, but most people participating were dressed better than resort casual, mostly jackets and ties for the men. To improve your odds of being invited, attend the cruise critic meet & greet, usually a few officers will show and there will be sign up for those interested. They usually only have openings for 100 passengers and reserve about 30 for cruise critic members. So your odds improve greatly. Though on our cruise only approx 40-45 cruise critic memebers signed up and all were invited to the dinner.

Lukes, that is fine except not all cruises have meet and greets. I wish the line would set them up.

NCL isn't affliated to Cruise Critic, hence the reason they are not organised by the ship but, on most ships, they will do all they can to help a "meet and greet" organised via the Roll Call and some senior officers will usually attend.

NCL isn't affliated to Cruise Critic, hence the reason they are not organised by the ship but, on most ships, they will do all they can to help a "meet and greet" organised via the Roll Call and some senior officers will usually attend.

Yes I do realize that but there is no official person to ask as on some lines, and trying to organize one from a roll call means someone has to take charge to do it, there is no organized way to do it etc.

We have a roll call for the Majesty Feb 3 cruise, and have bandied the idea of meeting in the Royal fireworks lounge right after the Life boat drill, wearing yellow post it notes, now that is hardly something that is orgainized or would have anyone on staff attending if you know what I mean, be lucky if a handful show up at that rate.

My DW and I cruised in an Owner's Suite on the NCL Wind a couple of years ago and when we met the Concierge he asked us if we had brought formal dress. We later received an invitation for the Captain's dinner (there were around 12 of us), so I think the concierge was pre-screening us to make sure we had formals for the dinner.

Yes I do realize that but there is no official person to ask as on some lines, and trying to organize one from a roll call means someone has to take charge to do it, there is no organized way to do it etc.

We have a roll call for the Majesty Feb 3 cruise, and have bandied the idea of meeting in the Royal fireworks lounge right after the Life boat drill, wearing yellow post it notes, now that is hardly something that is orgainized or would have anyone on staff attending if you know what I mean, be lucky if a handful show up at that rate.

It is real easy to setup a Meet and Greet on NCL. Just an email to the shipcoordinatorXXXX@ncl.com Replace the XXXX with the ships name. Tell them how many will be attending and a preferred date and time. They will email you back a time and location. Usually it ends up being the first seaday at 11:00am to 12:00pm.

We have over 76 people attending ours on the Sun.

Dave

Archived