In Rio Sheraton or Intercontinental

hnllulu

I would definitely not stay at the Sheraton Hotel. It is right down one end of the beach area and very close to the slums - favelas - and I wouldn't feel safe even wandering around on the beach.

We stayed at the lovely Hotel Sofitel on Copacubana Beach. If the Intercontinental lives up to the high standards elsewhere, then I would choose between the Sofitel and the Intercontinental.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

I also heard bad things about the Sheraton but I spoke with them and was given a fantastic rate and told they would give me a great room. Is it just the neighborhood or is it the whole hotel. I also spoke with Princess and HAL as to why they use them if there are that bad and was told they have had no complaints about them. I am totally confused as to where to stay. Can anyone help.

CZC

The Sheraton Hotel itself looks very nice, it is just where it is situated. You cannot go walking anywhere near there on your own as the area is so risky. If I were only staying one night and the rate was good, then I would probably stay there but if I was staying in Rio for a few days, then I would hate to be so isolated and not able to walk anywhere by oneself.

Of course the reason the rate is so good is because of the area where the Hotel is situated. You will find that the hotels in the better areas are much more expensive. HAL and Princess are putting people in a cheaper 5 star hotel and making a large profit on the deal. My sister stayed there a couple of years ago on a HAL precruise package and said "never again".

Whereas we were staying at the lovely Hotel Sofitel, which is right opposite the beach. We were able to just walk outside the hotel, cross the road and we were on the pavement which ran right beside the lovely Copacabana beach. This pavement goes for miles and you can just walk and walk and during the day you will be safe. We did pay more for the hotel but it was well worth it.

Jennie

I totally agree with Aussie Gal. I originally was going to stay at the Sheraton but was talked out of it by my local tour guide. He steered us to the Leblon area and I was delighted with his recommendation. My wife and I walked all over Leblon (day & night) over a several day period and never had a hint of a problem. The Sheraton is a very nice hotel in a terrible area. Sometimes it's just too costly to save money and this is one of them. Enjoy your trip!

Jim

I have been to Rio several times and I would not stay at the Sheraton or Intercontinental unless its only for one night and you do not want to walk around. Cabs are cheap in Rio but then again you must be careful. We are staying in Leblon at the Promenade Palladium. This is a suite hotel. It is one block from the beach in a very nice area. Our son flys this route as an airline pilot, as did my husband, and he suggested this hotel. Just make sure you have caiperinhas

on the beach. That is their cocktail..

CZC:

We stayed at the Marina Palace Hotel which was right across the main drag from the beach. We splurged and had a room overlooking the beach (beautiful view!) for $215 a night. The hotel and it's restaurant were wonderful. The hotel write ups talk about a bar and pool on the roof overlooking the beach and while it sounded great, it was vacated while we were there in January of '05.

Jim

Archived