No cruise booked, but want to be ready just in case? JOIN ME!

PhinsAndGills

Okay okay, I admit, I have no cruise booked, but MANY MANY picked out... hee hee...

Anyway, is there anyone else out there who would like to form a group of people who just want to be ready for that cruise? Maybe you sail last minute? Maybe use booking a cruise as incentive (when I get down to such-and-so pounds, I'll book!)?

So, I'll start...

Hi, my name is Lesley ("hi Lesley") and I can't wait to book my next cruise. I've been married 2.5 years. In that time, between my butt being glued to the computer chair working on my masters and a new Mexican restaurant in town (with the most AMAZING margaritas...) I've gained 20 lbs. and weighed in today at 154. I'm 5'4".

I joined a gym and, starting today, plan to go daily because they're doing a partner-effort contest. My ultimate goal is to get back to wedding weight before my masters graduation August 4th. HOWEVER, I'd be happy to see 10 lbs. of it gone, too. I'm kind of at the point right now where even seeing a pound LOST is better than constantly seeing them added, you know what I mean?

So, my "deal" with myself is that if I weigh 135 on my graduation day, I get to book a cruise. It's kind of like winning a contest, don't you think? (except I'll have to pay for it... ah well.)

So, those of you without a cruise booked (yet)...WHO'S WITH ME?!?!?!?

I am fairly positive I've gained a pound or so this past week. I am quite an emotional eater and have been under alot of stress this past week, and have been eating everything that isn't nailed down! I'd be happy with no loss, and annoyed at myself if there is a gain! But I'll do better this week!

Thanks for this, I'm sure it will motivate me!

Elaine

THREE POUNDS LOST! I'm sure a lot of it is simply water... but it's still THREE POUNDS! I worked out (30 minutes of cardio and at least 30 of a weight plan designed for me by the gal at the gym...) 5 out of 7 days. I did the same yesterday and plan on going yet tonight!

GOOD LUCK! If you're a stress eater, maybe pack the fridge with yummy healthy things. I really like those little baby carrots. Fresh fruit settles my sweet tooth after meals, too. One of my friends told me drinking a Low-Sodium V8 works well for curbing her appetite.

I'm still not anywhere near where I want to be, but hey, 3 steps in the right direction.

Maybe we should come up with little rewards for milestones... Like, something we're allowed to get after 5 pounds, 7 pounds, 10 pounds, 13 pounds etc...

Hmmm... here's mine...

5 pounds = New beauty item (like make-up, nail polish, etc.)

7 pounds = A small piece of jewelry (think Claire's)

10 pounds = a new pair of shoes (maybe I'll need a new pair of running shoes if I reach this goal!)

13 pounds = ITUNES gift card (My IPod and I are inseparable)

15 pounds = spa treatment (I think a facial would be nice)

17 pounds = New pair of jeans (because I'll probably be back in my old size...)

20 pounds = bathing suit! I'll need one for my cruise! :)

Feel free to use my ideas if you'd like to create a "list" as well! I'm REALLY motivated by rewards like this. My team is in the lead of the gym competition I'm in. It's figured on attendance, not weight lost, so it's obtainable for everyone. I'm motivated by competition as well. What motivates you?

Wow, I think I'll be using some of your list! Although I am hoping to book my trip at the 20 pound mark. Want to do the Mexican Riviera with us next April? We are thinking April 16/08, NCL. Just need to get around to booking it, as I need the motivation!

Great news on 3 pounds! Way to go! You'll be at your goal in no time! Even if it's just your body flushing out some extra water, it's still gone! Hooray!

Talk soon

Elaine

So I was thinking last night that since I had 14 months to go till we hopefully leave on our Mexican cruise, that if I lost 1 pound every 2 weeks, that would still be a 28 pound loss by then. I think I'd be quite happy with that. I am wearing a size 16 now, and would really like to be a 12 for our trip. Hmmm...might have to work for a little more than 2 pounds a month...

And I'm hoping for sure that I need a new bathing suit by then! I told hubby to pick one out of a Victorias Secret catalogue, and I'd be sure to fit into it by the time we left. I thought he would pick out this tiny string bikini and I'd look like a big dork in it, but he picked out a halter style bikini top and a tankini top, with a higher waisted bottom. Bless his heart...I don't think my post-baby stretch marks will ever disappear to the point of being able to wear the tiny bikini bottoms or even the low front scoop bottoms, no matter WHAT size I am! Now if he could just get his rear in gear. Am I the only one with a hubby who is completely unmotivated to lose weight? And who desperately needs to? When he has his full police gear and gunbelt on, he's carrying an extra 40 pounds. On top of the extra 40 pounds he has without anything on. Hard to chase someone, I would think. But at least he seems to think I look fine now, which is nice. My SIL's first husband would be sure to tell her every time she gained an ounce, and made sure to tell her exactly what to eat every day. Now they arent' together...I wonder why? Not that she had a single pound in excess in those days!

Anywhoo, hope you are having a great day!

Elaine

I wish I COULD do the NCL Riveria with you, but I'm a teacher and cruising during the school year is OUT unless I want to pay dearly for extra days off... *sigh* Somehow I don't think calling in "sick" days will work... but THANKS! I'm hoping Caribbean for my masters college graduation the week of August 4th, of THIS year. Probably a RCCL which is what I've always sailed.

My DH is also completely unmotivated, but he supports me. He's one of these tall and annoyingly skinny guys. His biggest complaint is that he has to special order his pants because stores don't usually carry size 30x34. *sigh* Ah, if I was only too tall and skinny... I figure that if we ever bother to have kids, that kid will have the PERFECT butt. DH has NO butt (or negative butt, it's actually a little concave) and I have total BOO-TY. So, hey, there's got to be a happy medium.

1 pound every 2 weeks sounds really managable. I think you can do that. I've discovered that V8 juice is actually pretty good!

I am liking V8 juice, although finding it with low sodium is taking a bit of leg work.

A cruise in August would be nice! At least you won't have to worry about heavy fog or snowstorms at the various airports. Or having to wear your parka and touque on the plane, only to get off an have it so humid you can't breathe!

Ah, I wish I had your hubbies problem. Well, some of his problem. I'd like to keep some butt, but a 30 waist would be nice. So would the 34 inseam. I'd be happy with a 32 inseam!

Did you know that checking in here is actually keeping me honest with my food intake? How nice is that?

That's the idea I guess.

I went a little food-freaky yesterday and today.

1. Yesterday we went to my favorite Mexican restaurant. I did order the veggie fajita which is one of the least offensive things on the menu, but still had cheese, chips, and salsa. Oh that's not the worst of it. I split a pitcher of margaritas 3 ways. I recently found out that margaritas are the most fattening of the "common bar drinks". Sigh. I guess I'll just have to commense to shooting tequila straight...

2. Today I've eaten pretty good, but been very munchy all day. The worst was the handful (ONLY ONE, I SWEAR) of potato chips and a scoop of sloppy joe... but at this point I figure that everyone would rather have a happy, still slightly overweight Lesley and a skinny, grumpy Lesley. My body is just going to have to learn to lose weight AND consume margaritas... *sigh* We'll see if I lost any this week.

Oh yeah, and we're going out tomorrow night. Back to the bar at the Mexican restaurant where the margaritas and tequila flow like water...

AND I can't work out tomorrow, either...

Okay, THIS week, I pray to maintain my 3 pound loss. ha ha.

Well, I have to make lesson plans for tomorrow.

Well Leslie, how did the last 2 days go? 1 bad day won't kill you! In my house though, 1 bad days flows nicely into 1 bad week and I'm back to where I started. I've only had a couple of bad days this week, so I'm hoping to be down a pound or two. I do an official weigh in, the one that I actually write down in the calendar, the first monday of the month. With that coming up, I need to make sure I am down my minimum goal of 2 pounds a month. I am equal now to the beginning of the month, so I'm going to have to really step it up next week.

Mmm, margaritas. Yum, I also like pina coladas too, and could easily sit and drink 10 of them in one sitting. I'd be the life of the party afterwards I'm sure, regardless of the 500 calories or whatever they are per drink!

Have a great weekend! One day closer to graduation for you! Yay!

Elaine

Hi ladies........and anyone else wanting to lose before they cruise. I have a Crown Princess booked with my family for August 2007. I just booked about 10 days ago, but have been planning since before the Holidays.

I started a "healthy" eating style on January 1. Trying to avoid what I consider the bad stuff - white flour, sugar, trans-fats, etc. Not being too crazy with depriving myself though. We all know where that goes.

Also been trying to walk on the treadmill for at least 30 minutes - say 5 nights a week. I have two 10 pound weights that I leave in my bedroom and pick-up a few times a day (when I walk by them). I do 8 or 10 reps - I guess for my biceps (obviously nothing too official - just trying to tone the arms alittle.)

I have a total of about 25 pounds I'd like to lose. That would get me to my "I wouldn't mind weighing this the rest of my life" weight. At 46, I realize I'm never going to be at my pre-baby weight (my baby is almost 16, by the way). That pre-baby weight really is just too light for me now. I've put on this extra 20 or so pounds in the past 2 years. I'm ready to take it slowly and lose it in a healthy way. I really would like to look and feel good for my August cruise! So far, since January 1, I've lost about 5 pounds.

Good luck to everyone. It's nice to come on here and just talk about this stuff.

Great news Suzie! I doubt I'll ever get to my pre-baby weight either! I had many extra pounds on me for 5 years before my husband went half way across the country for his police training. In the 6 months that he was gone, it was just me, one dog and the cat. I ate when I felt like it, didn't really ever make anything, went to work and lost 35-40 pounds. Granted I didn't have wonderful food habits, I was lacking in fruits and veggies. This is proof that men make you fat. I keep trying to use that excuse, yet it is me filling my face, right? So anyway, he was finished, we got transferred way up to the North Coast, just south of the Alaska Panhandle, and spent 4 years there, before moving back to the sunny Okanagan where we are from. The week after we got to our first post, we found out I was pregnant. Yay. After trying for 5 years and losing one halfway, I was unbelievably pregnant again. However, by that time, having 3 weeks with hubby, I was back up 15 pounds, I kid you not. But I was still lighter than when he left, and didn't really gain much of anything until the last 2 months. However, today I am the same as I was the day I went into the hospital to have our daughter. And I've already lost 12 pounds over the last year. We recently saw our financial planner guy about critical illness insurance for hubby, and for my height, which is 5'2", the acceptable weight for me from the life insurance company is 160. 160? That makes me quite happy, because every weight chart that you read says 118-128 for my height. Yeah, that's attainable and maintainable! I would be very happy to sit between 150 and 160 permanently. However, hubby got home from work an hour ago and was kind enough to bring home coffee and donuts. And I was kind enough to eat them instead of saying no thanks. I am my own worst enemy.

Off to the gym tomorrow! Time to step things up a notch or 6. Only a week to go till I have to write my weight on the calendar.

Hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend!

Elaine

Elaine-Aug01.jpg.0bd6112998097c3a0a02b7ef31a8ac99.jpg

This is where I'd like to be. My sister got married the weekend before my husbands police graduation, and I think I was 155, which is by far the lightest I had been since meeting my husband in 1995. Okay, I guess I was 140 then, but you get my meaning...

Elaine:

Guess what: my hubby's a police officer too!! Wonder what else we have in common? Well, I know that my guy loves his coffee and donuts too, so maybe we share that issue as well.

Actually, I'm on a mission to get him to lose some weight as well. He's put on a few pounds in the past few years, and I don't think it's good for him. So, I'm trying to keep him "involved" in my weight loss plans to get him to lose too............

Have a fun weekend and keep working at the goal!

Hmmm... stuff in common...

Married for 10 1/2 years, together for 11 1/2

Husband is Marty

2 dogs, 1 cat

Twin sister

Older brother

Capricorn

Like to do crafts

Retired nurse

Like to cook, hate to clean

1 daughter

1 apple and cherry orchard

Like to camp, although it's in a 5th wheel...

I guess that's about it that I can think of.

OK - let's see:

Married 18 years next week

Together for almost 20

(Yikes - I guess when I get lower on the list I can't say I'm 33 years old, can I)

Husband is Marty

Husband is Douglas

2 dogs, 1 cat

1 dog (but she's soooooo cute.......)

Twin sister

1 sister - 5 years older but as close as a twin. She's like a second mom to my kids

Older brother

3 older brothers

Capricorn

Libra

Like to do crafts

Like to do crafts (scrapbooking especially) but have been struggling to find the time lately. Probably because I've been spending too much time on this crazy cruise forum!

Retired nurse

School secretary (I stayed home full time with the kids until they were about 10 or 11. Started part time then and have now worked my way back to full time since they are getting older. Of course, when I say full time, I do mean that I follow a full time school schedule. I don't want to give up what would be necessary for a full time 9-5, 12 month a year job. Time with the kids is way to valuable!!)

Love to cook, hate to clean (is there a word stronger than hate?)

1 daughter

1 daughter (17 - junior in HS)

1 son (almost 16 - sophomore in HS)

Wish I had any type of orchard......just your basic backyard

Going to have to be honest here: Don't really care for camping. I do love to watch my son play baseball!

And just to comment on some earlier posts: I definitely love a good Margarita OR a good Pina Colada!!! Of course, I like both of them better when the temperature is ABOVE freezing, unlike it is outside right now!

On the "healthy living" front: I haven't gotten on the treadmill in the last 2 days. I am absolutely, positively walking my 30 minutes tonight!!! I swear.

Hi there, I'm from Florida and trying to lose 13 pounds. I don't have a cruise planned either, but do have a wedding to go to in March. Also we are planning a trip over to Italy in May.

I started watching what I eat today. I weight 133.5. and 5'2". I would like to get down to 120 if possible by May. I would like to lose about 5 pounds before the wedding.

If want to know more about me just ask....

Kim

Of course we want to know more about you Kim! If you are shedding pounds with us, we need to know everything! Kidding, really!

Welcome! I think you'll find us entertaining! I think that's why my daughter always says "you're so funny Mommy". Oh to be 4 again... But I'd like to lose the weight of my 4 year old, I think she's about 36 pounds...

Well I've been married 2 years this Feb 26. We live near Ocala, Fl. We are just south of Ocala about 30 minutes in a town called Weirsdale. We are only a few miles from The Villages. Its a big retirement area. We moved here from Tampa. The reason we moved here was for a neighborhood called Loves Landing. Its a aviation community. Everyone here has airplanes or is in between planes ;)

My husband and I eat pretty well. We changed the way we eat back in Aug of 06. We went to eating all organic foods, well at least when we are at home. We take vits. and exercise when its not to cold. We have our exercise machines out in the hangar. Which is NOT heated.... So the last few days we haven't exercised :o

I would like to lose a few pounds, which I have been trying to do for a while. I had a thread going but it seems everyone stop posting.. So I have given up on that one and found this one...

I'm glad to meet everyone..

Kim

Hi Kim:

How cold is it down in Ocala, Florida? It's about 30 degrees here in NJ!!!! I've been trying to following recommendations by Dr. Oz (Book: You on a Diet). It's pretty basic, healthy type eating - no transfats, white flour, sugar. Well, at least I think it's healthy. Do you try to avoid any thing special when you're concentrating on organic foods? My daughter and I went shopping at Whole Foods recently, and I liked it - but is was sooooooo expensive!

Nice to meet you!

Okay, I must pipe in...

Hmmm... stuff in common...

Married for 2.5 years, together for roughly 18 (no kidding, we've been best friends since age 10)

Husband is Marty

Husband is Dan

2 dogs, 1 cat

2 cats, 1 fish, one bunny

Twin sister

no sisters

Older brother

me too!

Capricorn

Leo

Like to do crafts

Just started making my own jewelry

Retired nurse

been teaching 6 years in grades 1/2

Ditto - dusting is devil's torture. Don't mind sweeping since I got a Dyson Ball though.

1 daughter

No kids

Large gardens - EXTENSIVE herb (all organic), 20x20 veggie, randomly scattered flower gardens. Grapevines that will produce for the first time this year! Wine making, here I come!

Not a big camper, but I love the outdoors. We cook out over open fire a lot in the summer. Toasted marshmallows are a weakness.

I'm adding:

- Will graduate with my masters in August (classes over in June, though). Goal is to accept my diploma weighing 130.

- Live in family farmhouse of 170+ years.

- VERY close to my family, they are my life. Live less than 5 miles from all 4 of my grandparents, all still living and healthy. I'm BLESSED!

- Husband is way hot.

Okay, multi-post

1. HI KIM! Welcome aboard!

2. Organic. You have to be really careful. The USDA has not defined "organic" as of yet, and it's subject to "how far back" organic goes. (Was the cow fed organic feed? Did the feed come from organic seed? etc...) Basically, anything with less preservatives is better than nothing. organic also doesn't necessarily mean healthier. There's a lot of organic food surprisingly high in calories. I'm a big hippie and have been eating organic for YEARS. I'm thrilled that it's becoming more mainstream, but also dissapointed because companies are starting to "cut corners" and "fudge" a little. To compare, here in Ohio, if you slap the word "Amish" in front of something, it'll sell better because people think it's made by a sweet little old woman in her kitchen. Explain to me then please why I've actually seen Amish Mu-Shu Pork. That's just wrong. I have found that I like Kashi brand, it's tasty and pretty easy to find. I eat organic more for the tree-hugger, Earth-lover, atmosphere-saver in me.

3. I'm discouraged today. I didn't eat the healthiest this week, but I didn't think I did too badly. I didn't lose a pound. I realize that slow weightloss is permanent weightloss, but I still can't help but feel a little down that not even a pound came off. I worked out like a feind last week and my team is in the lead for our gym competition. I did 6 days of 30-minute cardio (usually on a Precor or treadmill). I did 5 days of weigh training. I alternate legs and arms.

Something worth mentioning, I guess, about me and weight loss. I build muscle hard and FAST. I can pack on muscle better than most boys. Sounds good right??? WRONG! My legs are HUGE. It's very hard for me to find jeans because my legs are just STACKED. They don't look nice because of their bulk. So I do NO weights on the legs, but lots and lots of reps. After 2 weeks of pretty rigorous lifting on my arms, they've bulked up a half an inch each, but at least they're not jiggly anymore. That's where my frustration sets in, the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing really gets me because I pack on muscle faster than I lose fat, so for awhile, I carry both, which doesn't let the scale move. That's where I'm at now. *sigh* This week, ONE POUND... that's the goal.

Okay, I'm really long winded tonight. I'm so glad we've all found a thread to "chat". It's fun meeting other people.

OH, I had a pretty healthy dinner and watched my portions. Couscous (110 calories), Green Beans (frozen), and ham loaf (oops...). But, DH cooked, so I couldn't say no. I stopped at one small piece and am surprisingly full.

Contemplating the Special K challenge. The bars were on sale at the grocery yesterday.

Good explanation on buying organic. Notice not one of them is to lose weight. It's just a healthier lifestyle and promoting safer environmental practices.

http://www.karinya.com/organic.htm

HIPPE LESLEY TALKING: Have you considered an organic digestive cleanse to get the nasty little parasites out? (You don't have to actually answer that on here if you don't want to :) . Someone once suggested it to me because I was having health issues, it really helped, AND I lost 5 pounds on top of it! :D )

Here's the one I did and liked it. It's an awfully DETAILED site (complete with pictures, ew) but gives good info on the whole thing.

http://www.drnatura.com/

Some people swear by this, and some say it's hooey. All I know is I felt a ton better after trying the stuff.

OKay, enough of that. I'm going to work on my masters assignment now.

We didn't switch to organic to lose weight. Its like any other food on that point. You still have to watch the amount and calories.. Eating organic cake and non-organic still means you are putting on the weight... But if I have a choice I eat the organic cake because it doesn't have the chemicals and pesticides in it.

This is more of a health choice for us. We have seen a difference in our health. We eat meat totally organic and have gotten away from eating red meat.

We live in the real world of eating organic, which means we can only do about 80%. So generally we watch what we eat when eating out and at relatives houses. My husband is better then me. He tries to eat vegtarian.. I'm not so good at that :o

PhinsAndGills - That sounds like a Colon Cleanse to me. I have done that before. I personally think it works. Anything that can clean the body out and make it work better is good.

SusieQ - Tonight it will get down to 23 here :eek: Tomorrow the high is 53. To cold for me :(

Kim

Archived