Hotels in Ft Lauderdale

RayinIllinois

Hi Janet,

We stayed at the Renaissance Plantation last week. We also booked it through Holland America on the pre-cruise stay.

The hotel is lovely. The rooms are very nice and the beds extremely comfortable. There is a market across the street if you need to pick up any last minute items. Also about 5 minutes away there is more shopping.

The only downfall is that there are no restaurants close by so we ate at the hotel. Prices were pretty expensive...but that's typical for a hotel. Other than that, we really enjoyed our stay there.

The drive to the pier is about 10-15 minutes. We were picked up around 12:30 p.m. and arrived at the pier around 12:45 p.m. Embarkation was a breeze. We were through in about 5-10 minutes and on board before we knew it.

Hope you enjoy your stay and your cruise!

Colleen

Hi Colleen--

Thank you so much for your reply, and I am cheered by what you had to say. We don't arrive 'til rather late in the evening---as we come from Seattle--but still wanted a nice hotel for the night.

I'm sure you shared the weather we've "enjoyed" the last few weeks, so just the thought of going to the Caribbean in a few weeks is great.

Thank you again.

Janet

I was at that Ramada roughly 2 years ago. I travel a lot on biz and pleasure. I don't expect any Ramada to equal a Hyatt. However, this place was horrible. Check out some of the places that I referenced in a previous post and check www.tripadvisor.com for some opinions. 66 is too high for us in March; plus we are taking our son. So the Embassy Suites made sense to us. With the comp. cocktails and appetizers in the evening and made to order brakfast in the morning included - seemed like a no brainer. Good luck to you.

have you been at the FLL Ramada? We usually stay at Pier 66 but we're taking along four others this time so I needed to cut down expenses (couldn't afford three rooms for one night at Pier 66 PLUS the cruise for 6!).

Talked with local customer service. Currently replacing glass over atrium. The job is to be completed by the end of the month. If there is anything else happening I'll find out and post here. I'm going to follow up on this.

Granted I only stayed there once but a renovation is long overdue!:mad:

Karen,

Do they also provide a shuttle service to the pier?

Cobalt:

Which Karen? Which hotel?:)

If it's me to whom you are addressing your question, and if the hotel is Lago Mar, then no, the Lago Mar doesn't provide a shuttle service. We took a cab; it wasn't expensive.

Karin

This place was a total dump when I stayed there. I also had quite a few issues with this place. It WAS close to 3 years ago and I'd hope it was renovated since then. They did offer free breakfast and they offered parking while you were on the cruise (for a fee) and a shuttle to/from the pier.

This is a link to a post about the place I made a few years ago with pictures of sme of the problems in the room:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=192020

thanks for your input...did a little more research and you are correct. booked at Amerisuites based on board recommendations. Thanks!

I saw you booked this and just wanted to warn you. Stayed at this place about a year ago and it was horrible. Everyone has their opinions but when I'm about to board a luxury cruise ship I don't want to be departing a run down hotel. As expressed, check out www.tripadvisor.com and search for Amerisuites Fort Lauderdale. The most recent opinions mirror mine.

This search link that I did may work but I doubt it - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d87424-Reviews-AmeriSuites_Fort_Lauderdale-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

thanks for your input...did a little more research and you are correct. booked at Amerisuites based on board recommendations. Thanks!

Has anyone stayed at the Hollywood Econo Lodge? I know it is not grewat but we arrive at 8pm--sleep and get on ship. It is supposed to have a shuttle from airport and to the cruise dock. All for $150 Canadian. Chargap

Has anyone stayed at the Hollywood Econo Lodge? I know it is not grewat but we arrive at 8pm--sleep and get on ship. It is supposed to have a shuttle from airport and to the cruise dock. All for $150 Canadian. Chargap

I have not stayed at the Hollywood Econo Lodge.

However, I have stayed at the Best Western Fort Lauderdale Inn and am booked to stay there again this April (for U.S.$119). It provides complimentary airport/cruiseport shuttle along with a complimentary continental breakfast. I had no complaints or concerns when DW & I last stayed there in April, 2006, & do not anticipate any concerns this April either.

Also, the Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale/Plantation comes recommended on CCB as well.

Robb, there is it in a nutshell: Nov. 3rd which is very low season for Florida. As I said, high season starts Dec 24 and usually goes until about Easter. Even then, the rate you got is very good; I just hope you are satisfied with the hotel. NMnita

Now I am concerned. I have never stayed there so I don't know anything. Do you know something about the hotel that I don't?

Thanks,

Robb

Now I am concerned. I have never stayed there so I don't know anything. Do you know something about the hotel that I don't?

Thanks,

Robb

Rob, don't get too concerned. I would advise you to check the hotel thread here on Cc and see if there are reviews as well as checking tripadvisors and travelocity. Remember it is just one night; sure even one night can be a disaster, but normally, most of us do well with a one night stay. Where I personally may not stay doesn't mean I am right. We all have our views on what we look for when traveling. It's like "what cruise line is the best?" My favorite may not be yours. NMnita

We stayed at the Amerisuites a few years ago. We found it to be quite good...I think it was $89...big room...very nice free breakfast...free shuttles...and an Outback Steakhouse next door.

We traveled the day before the cruise to avoid any problems. If we go there again, I would probably go two days early and stay at one of those hotels on the beach.

Stay far away from the Ramada Cruise Port, we stayed there one night pre cruise last March. (Newbie on Priceline:confused: )

THIS year, we are paying $125 ( Priceline) for the Wyndham airport location. Not great, but ok for South Florida high season.

I saw you booked this and just wanted to warn you. Stayed at this place about a year ago and it was horrible. Everyone has their opinions but when I'm about to board a luxury cruise ship I don't want to be departing a run down hotel. As expressed, check out www.tripadvisor.com and search for Amerisuites Fort Lauderdale. The most recent opinions mirror mine.

This search link that I did may work but I doubt it - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d87424-Reviews-AmeriSuites_Fort_Lauderdale-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

OK...I give up! We're going back to Pier 66...means not eating out as much between now and cruise time...but I know we'll have a wonderful room and experience. So much for trying the economy route! Thanks for everyone's input.

Archived