Europe Docking Locations

john2003

We are booked Venice to Istanbul on Oct 27. I am wondering if there is any source of more specific information about where the ship will likely be docked given the many ports of call. The Oceania website isn't very helpful and as we often prefer to make independent land arrangements it would help if I had a little more information. I suspect that a few of these are tenders and I seem to have missed where this might be clarified.

I have added a comment when I think I might have a sense.

The ports are:

Venice, Italy

Dubrovnik, Croatia (need bus or taxi to town)

Kotor, Montenegro (walking distance)

Taormina (Sicily), Italy

Amalfi/Positano, Italy (is it Amalfi or Positano or?)

Athens (Piraeus), Greece (been there, assume docked in the port)

Santorini, Greece (tender?)

Delos, Greece (tender?)

Mykonos, Greece (tender?)

Rhodes, Greece

Kusadasi, Turkey (expect to take an excursion so location less important)

Istanbul, Turkey

We tendered in Amalfi, Taormina, Delos and Santorini. In Mykonos we took a bus into town after docking. Occasionally they do tender in Mykonos. In Rhodes old town is a very short walk. Needless to say Athens (Piraeus) is a very large port and we docked there. We also docked in Kusadasi. In Dubrovnik we took a taxi into the old walled city with another couple.

On a Celebrity cruise last year Mykonos was advertised as a tender port. The previous day announcements were made that it was hoped the ship could dock, in which case there would be a shuttle bus from the dock into town - book your shuttlebus tickets now!

That evening everyone was aware of greater-than-normal vibration in the dining room, especially towards the stern, and several people suggested that the Captain must have the pedal hard down. Sure enough we arrived at Mykonos 90 minutes early (10:30 instead of noon) and were able to dock. So it can vary with each individual cruise.

Have you looked at, or do you know about, cruisecal? (http://www.cruisecal.com) Basically it's a website that will show all ships planned to dock at a particular port on given dates. So you can find out how many ships are planned to be at that port the day you are, their times of arrival, and therefore the likelihood of tendering or docking (in the relevant ports).

Archived