Conquest only Questions! Post 'em Here!

ShoMeChiefsFan

The Conquest is leaving Galveston for New Orleans!

To be replaced by Magic:

Galveston gets largest cruise ship in Texas history

By HARVEY RICE

2010 HOUSTON CHRONICLE

June 23, 2010, 8:47PM

GALVESTON — While the Port of Houston's $87 million cruise terminal sits vacant two years after being built, the Port of Galveston on Wednesday said it has snagged the largest cruise ship ever to be based in Texas.

The Carnival Cruise Lines vessel Carnival Magic will begin sailing from Galveston on Nov. 14, 2011, Galveston Port Director Steve Cernak said.

Cernak said the Magic is so large, with berths for 3,690 passengers, that the port will have to build a new gangway to accommodate it. The new ship is expected to boost Galveston's reputation as a cruise-line home port and add revenues to the city's economy.

"This puts us in the upper echelon of home ports," Cernak said.

The largest cruise ship now based in Texas, in passenger size, is the Carnival Lines' 2,974-passenger Carnival Conquest, one of two Carnival cruise ships based in Galveston. The Carnival Conquest and the 2,052-passenger Carnival Ecstasy will move to New Orleans and be replaced in Galveston by the Carnival Magic and the 2,758-passenger Carnival Triumph. The Triumph moves to Galveston on Oct. 6.

A Royal Caribbean Lines cruise ship is based in Galveston part of the year.

The 130,000-ton Carnival Magic will boost the number of Carnival passengers coming through the Galveston cruise ship terminal by 28 percent, Cernak said. The two ships are expected to carry more than 450,000 passengers per year once they begin operation.

'Pretty significant'

The Carnival Magic is a new ship, and the company's decision to base it in Galveston rather than the prime Florida market shows how important Texas is, Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer De la Cruz said.

"The commitment of a new ship outside Florida is pretty significant and is pretty rare," De la Cruz said. "We have built up our presence in Galveston over many years, and we have been able to do that because the Texas and Southwestern market is so strong for us."

De la Cruz said Carnival chose Galveston over Houston because of the cruise line's long-standing relationship with the port and its closer access to the Gulf.

The Port of Houston Authority's Pasadena cruise terminal has yet to have a regular cruise service. The facility was built in 2008 and is next to the Port's Bayport Container Terminal.

The only time cruise ships called on it was when Hurricane Ike damaged the Port of Galveston. Two Carnival Cruise Lines ships relocated to Houston for more than a month.

"It's a beautiful facility with state-of-the-art everything," said Chris Matthews, a principal in the Dallas office of A.T. Kearney, a global management consulting firm. "The Houston cruise terminal is an example of some mis-estimating. The demand has not materialized for many reasons."

Part of the problem is that the 96,000-square-foot facility is located near industrial plants and about a 45-minute drive from downtown Houston, he said.

"Travelers are looking for an attractive destination on both ends of the cruise," Matthews said. "Galveston and New Orleans have much more to offer right there than the Houston cruise terminal."

Ricky Kunz, vice president for origination at the Port of Houston, said the port is continuing to talk to cruise companies about home-porting vessels at the facility.

"Because of required cruise marketing and vessel redeployment, it can take a cruise line up to two, three years before moving into a new port or market," Kunz said.

The chairman of the Galveston Wharves Board, which oversees the Port Authority, said the revenue source of the two port districts may help explain why Houston's terminal remains vacant. Chairman John Eckel said the Galveston port is supported by its own earnings and the Houston port by tax dollars.

"That's why they did engage in a 'build it and they will come' Field of Dreams arrangement," Eckel said.

$8 million in upgrades

Norwegian Cruise Line did operate from the Port of Houston's Barbours Cut Terminal from 1997 until 2001 and again from 2003 until April 2007.

Cernak said the Galveston port is investing more than $8 million in improvements to serve the Carnival Magic, including more walkways and moorings. The improvements will allow the cruise terminal to handle any cruise vessel in the Western Hemisphere, he said.

The increased number of passengers is expected to have a big economic effect on the port and the city, Cernak said. The port gets its income from cruise line and passenger fees, including fees for parking in port-owned parking lots. Cernak couldn't immediately give an estimate of how much the new ships would add to the port's earnings.

A state-by-state 2009 economic impact study by the Cruise Line International Association showed $1.1 billion in direct purchases related to the cruise line business in Texas for 2008. The numbers apply to Galveston because it has the only operating cruise line terminal in the state.

Does anyone know if the waiters will bring you any drink you want at the past guest party on the conquest?

I'm not sure if the waiter will bring it to you but I believe you can order whatever you like at the bar.

Does anyone know if Laser Tag is offered on the Conquest?

Just got off the Conquest and my 18 yr old son said the Laser tag was a joke - you got to play for about 5 minutes, it was an inflatable laser tag and the lines were long. he said it wasn't worth the wait.

My Wife and Mother-in-law are ice tea fanatics (coffee not so much) and are asking about bringing/making their own.

Any thoughts to this? Perhaps room service can bring a pot of hot water each morning?

CRAZY idea to me. What do you think?

Thanks, once more!

It is unbelievable to me that cruise ships (not just Carnival) can not make iced tea. They use syrup of some sort--yuck!

You can order "hot tea" from room service. I usually just stick the tea bags in the pot and hide it is one of the cabinets. When it cools, I pour it over ice. Room service also makes a great alarm clock.

Sometimes I run up to the Lido buffet and use tea bags and hot water. I then let it cool and pour it over ice. It works fine until I get back to my own kitchen! Seriously, it's the south--we need real iced tea!

Will be sailing on Conquest July 4, 2010. Have plans for Cayman & Cozumel but still kicking around Jamaica. Traveling with 2 teens and they want to zip line. I have 2 questions, #1) will there be time to zip line and still visit a beautiful beach? #2) which zipline is best, Chukka or Jamaica zipline adventure tours?

Is the limit of 1 liter/adult enforced when returning into Galveston?

Is it cheaper to buy from the Duty Free ship board store, or a DF shop in Grand Cayman?

Not sure if the limit is strictly enforced, but I was asked when I came in how many bottles I had (I was within the limit).

I found the prices in Grand Cayman to be a little better than the ship on the few things I compared. The ship selection is limited as well.

Would a recent Conquest guest please let us know what the major productions shows are. A copy of the Fun Times entertainment section would be a god send.

Shows for last week (June 20-27) were:

Sun - Welcome Aboard (w/ Comedian Dean Gaines)

Mon - Voila Paris!

Tue - Motown Showtime (w/ Ron Joseph)

Wed - Magic & Illusion (w/ Lady Hellevi)

Thu - Point & Click

Fri - Variety Showtime (w/ Juggler Manuel Zuniga and Comedian Marc Rubben)

Sat - Carnival Legends

I have all of the Fun Times from last week. I'll post them as soon as I have a chance to scan them.

On the June 6th sailing the ship on the first night had great sale on Johnny Walker Black Label, but it was for 4 bottles, that was 2 over the limit for Texas residents.

I found the best price in Grand Cayman @ the Torgura Rum Cake Shop. I bought 2 bottles for $9 each of Mount Gay rum. Other shops in Grand Cayman were selling it for $10.50 each

Edited by wesheltonj

Is the limit of 1 liter/adult enforced when returning into Galveston?

Its certainly a gamble. Customs declarations aren't checked for every debarkation, but if you end up with the full check you get into pretty serious trouble - especially for lying on the customs form...

Shows for last week (June 20-27) were:

Sun - Welcome Aboard (w/ Comedian Dean Gaines)

Mon - Voila Paris!

Tue - Motown Showtime (w/ Ron Joseph)

Wed - Magic & Illusion (w/ Lady Hellevi)

Thu - Point & Click

Fri - Variety Showtime (w/ Juggler Manuel Zuniga and Comedian Marc Rubben)

Sat - Carnival Legends

I have all of the Fun Times from last week. I'll post them as soon as I have a chance to scan them.

Perfect, and thanks so much CJT3 for the Fun Times scans!

On the June 6th sailing the ship on the first night had great sale on Johnny Walker Black Label, but it was for 4 bottles, that was 2 over the limit for Texas residents.

I found the best price in Grand Cayman @ the Torgura Rum Cake Shop. I bought 2 bottles for $9 each of Mount Gay rum. Other shops in Grand Cayman were selling it for $10.50 each

Suspect I'll shop in GC, thanks for the suggestions. Have read you have to allow shore side shop a couple hours to package and forward the liquor to the ship. Figure to shop early, then bus to 7-Mile beach for sun, then close out day at M'ville. :)

Suspect I'll shop in GC, thanks for the suggestions. Have read you have to allow shore side shop a couple hours to package and forward the liquor to the ship. Figure to shop early, then bus to 7-Mile beach for sun, then close out day at M'ville. :)

Be sure to get a Tortuga Rum Cake as well. I swear the ones you buy on Grand Cayman are much better than the ones you buy elsewhere.