Buying liquor for cabin, no longer allowed?

ho

We were on the CB last week. I enjoy a rum and Coke in the cabin while getting ready for dinner, and in the past have ordered a liter of Bacardi from room service for about $20. I just carry the Coke on myself. The liter bottle of Bacardi was not available this time. I went to a couple of bars to see if they would sell me a bottle for the stateroom and they would not. The only option available (after I was already on the ship without having smuggled)was the rum and Coke package from room service, a 375 ml bottle of white Bacardi and 3 cans of Coke for $19.50 plus 15% gratuity. That is at least double what you would pay on land.

You know - I would happily pay Princess the retail price of a litre bottle of Absolut to not have this hassle... but now I am just going to have to smuggle it well packed in my suitcase. For those of you flying in - remember the liquid restriction is for your carryon - not for your checked luggage. Also there is at least one liquor store that I know of off 17th Street Causeway, near the entrace to the port.

If you do pack it, please make sure you wrap it well or you will probably be spending the first half of your vacation in the laundry room.

I bought these kind of plastic containers online. They are called Rum Runner Flasks and they have worked great so far. If you google the name you should be able to find it.

Be really careful.... one of ours leaked last month...first time used. I was not impressed.

I just ordered a liter of Bacardi Rum and Crown Royal for our cabin. I ordered it three weeks ago. It has been paid for as it has been charged to my credit card already.

Perhaps you are talking to the wrong persons. I did not have any trouble ordering .......

But keep in mind, ordering it and paying for it is a completely different animal than getting it ;)

Princess changed their liquor policy last summer after too many young drunks were being pushed or falling off cruise ships. The lawyers thought Princess might become complicit in a wrongful death suit if they sold liter size bottles of booze. So once again the responsible cruisers who like a cocktail before dinner are penalized for the actions of a few youthful

neerdowells.

The good of this is that they couldn't care less if you bring it aboard in your checked luggage so long as it doesn't break or leak.

You are correct. you can no longer go to a bar and purchase a bottle and take it back to your room. HOWEVER!!!! you can call Princess and pre-order (and pre-pay) and it will be waiting for you in your cabin. It is not on the listing but if you call, they will provide this service.

We did this on the Coral Princess - Panama Canal Cruise.....

We boarded and we had a liter of Baracdi Rum and a liter of Crown Royal on the desk in the cabin when we arrived.

Cheers!

Who exactly did you call to get this service? When I called 1-800-princess, the representative said she could only take orders for the "packages" they had available.

Thanks for the info.

I agree with whoever said that finding someone to order it from at Princess and paying for it, doesn't mean it is going to be there waiting for you. I have a feeling someone is going to be very disappointed when they get onboard. They just aren't doing this anymore. And we have found there is no way around this new rule.

Archived