Can I tranfer RCI cruise booked by TA back to myself?

kingsgirl

Saying she "hadn't heard of it" (regarding price drops after final payment) is not exactly lying. I'm afraid you will find that trying to change a booking to another travel agent is a very difficult (nearly impossible) thing to do. There are written requests/releases and hard feelings all around.:o A bad travel agent experience can only be viewed as a learning experience for your next cruise.

I wouldn't anticipate problems until they actually occur. The price of your cruise may not go down after final payment. If it does, and you are eligible for the price drop, simply insist on a 3 way call with RCCL and your travel agent, so everybody has the same, and correct information. :)

Happy Hour rate is a relatively low/sort of last minute rate on certain sailings. Happy Hour rates are for NEW bookings only. There is also promowave, which is not necessarily for new bookings. There is no reason for your TA to necessarily mention them...your sailings may not be included. And the price sheets are available online, but they are not really in general circulation. http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/promowave/

Saying she "hadn't heard of it" (regarding price drops after final payment) is not exactly lying. I'm afraid you will find that trying to change a booking to another travel agent is a very difficult (nearly impossible) thing to do. There are written requests/releases and hard feelings all around.:o A bad travel agent experience can only be viewed as a learning experience for your next cruise.

I wouldn't anticipate problems until they actually occur. The price of your cruise may not go down after final payment. If it does, and you are eligible for the price drop, simply insist on a 3 way call with RCCL and your travel agent, so everybody has the same, and correct information. :)

Happy Hour rate is a relatively low/sort of last minute rate on certain sailings. Happy Hour rates are for NEW bookings only. There is also promowave, which is not necessarily for new bookings. There is no reason for your TA to necessarily mention them...your sailings may not be included. And the price sheets are available online, but they are not really in general circulation. http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/promowave/

If telling me she has never heard of RRI lowering rates after booking is not a lie, what would you call it? I thought thats why you used a TA, to tell you the truth about the cruise you are interested in. Please tell me why I would have troubling changing TA. I have only made a deposit on this cruise and final payment is not due until Feb. 12. What problems would I encounter in canceling with the TA who I'm finding out told me a lie (or just didn't exactly tell me the truth) and going with a different TA. If she has not told me exactly the truth now, how can I trust anything she tells me from here on out. We will never be able to afford this cruise again and I want to trust the person I book with. We still have hotel bookings, tour bookings, flights to reserve, cruise insurance and I was counting on her advise and help (which I'm sure would mean more commisions for her). Sorry, once you tell me "not exactly a lie" as you say she did,I don't think I can trust her in any advise she would give me. I'm not prepared to call a vacation involving thousands of dollars just a learning experience.

I have a question.

Last November I did a B2B on different ships, the first on the Radiance and the 2nd on the Freedom and used a different TA for each booking. After I booked the first cruise the TA that I was dealing with kept pushing me to join her breakfast club thing she had going on and this was a big turn off for me so I booked with another TA at a different agency for the 2nd week.

Both cruises had a price reduction after final payment was made and I had to fight tooth and nail with the 2nd TA to recieve the price drop. I live in Canada and paid in US cash since it worked out quite a bit cheaper than booking in CAD. I paid cash to avoid the high foreign currency fee charged by my credit card company. Since I paid cash the cruise line had to send a chq to my TAs for the price reduction.

In both cases when the cheque arrived it was for amounts that were far less than what I was expecting to get back. When I asked the TAs why the cheques weren't for the full amount of the price reduction they both said that RCI charges to cut me a cheque. I accepted what they said as true since both TAs worked for different companies and pretty much gave me the same explanation. Now I'm curious........is what they said correct or does it appear that they deducted money from the cheque for their commission. Also in both cases I did not recieve a cheque issued by RCI but a cheque from the individual agencies.

I don't wish to do anything about this as the vacation has come and gone but I'm just curious as to if the TAs gave me accurate info. I now book direct with the cruise line as I've yet to find a good TA where I live that has the experience and knowledge for booking cruises.

Sandie

Don't get mad at me Charles. Geez. :mad: I didn't book with him or her. and I am not a travel agent. Just because a travel agent may be unfamilar with RCCL policies, does not mean that person is "lying".

If the price on your cruise has not changed since you originally booked, then by all means, cancel, rebook, incur cancellation fees, go with whoever you would like.:confused: Sorry for trying to address and answer your question. I'm glad I am not a TA.:D

I cancelled with my first TA (who didn't exactly tell me the truth) today, no problems, no cancellations fees, etc. I booked with another TA, was upfront with me that I would receive any reductions in price and he would keep me informed. Also, I was able to keep the same room I had asked for with the first TA. He handled that for me also. Also, the first TA was going to charge me for travel insurance and this TA is providing it at no charge to me. The point I want to make is there are very good TA's that will work with you. I learned a very good lesson, go with a TA who tells you the truth and wants your return business. There are many out there, don't settle for less.

Kingsgirl - go to RCI's web site and create a user account if you don't already have one: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/mycruises/createMyCruisesProfile.do;jsessionid=0000-kgzcoIhE5sh_E28zYqYGHB:10ktmeta1

You should be able to see what has already been paid and what is left to pay. Then get an exact figure from your TA. If your TA tells you a different amount than what RCI shows - then she needs to get that straightened out with RCI.

NANCY IL - How do I find out the price charged to me for the trip?

I have a user account but can't find where in it to see payment details. I see everything else but not that.

THANKS!

NANCY IL - How do I find out the price charged to me for the trip?

I have a user account but can't find where in it to see payment details. I see everything else but not that.

THANKS!

I just went to "My Cruises"...logged in, and clicked on the reservation number for a current RCI cruise. It brings up all the information about my cruise, including total price, deposit paid, and amount due. I booked this particular cruise online directly with RCI. However, my previous RCI cruises were booked through an online travel agency, and I was able to see reservation details then, also.

**I just went to look at the details of my Princess cruise, which was booked through a TA - and I don't see price details. Maybe that's the case with RCI. :( Guess I'd call RCI and ask, if I were you! I'd also ask your travel agent for a new invoice.

I have a question.

Last November I did a B2B on different ships, the first on the Radiance and the 2nd on the Freedom and used a different TA for each booking. After I booked the first cruise the TA that I was dealing with kept pushing me to join her breakfast club thing she had going on and this was a big turn off for me so I booked with another TA at a different agency for the 2nd week.

Both cruises had a price reduction after final payment was made and I had to fight tooth and nail with the 2nd TA to recieve the price drop. I live in Canada and paid in US cash since it worked out quite a bit cheaper than booking in CAD. I paid cash to avoid the high foreign currency fee charged by my credit card company. Since I paid cash the cruise line had to send a chq to my TAs for the price reduction.

In both cases when the cheque arrived it was for amounts that were far less than what I was expecting to get back. When I asked the TAs why the cheques weren't for the full amount of the price reduction they both said that RCI charges to cut me a cheque. I accepted what they said as true since both TAs worked for different companies and pretty much gave me the same explanation. Now I'm curious........is what they said correct or does it appear that they deducted money from the cheque for their commission. Also in both cases I did not recieve a cheque issued by RCI but a cheque from the individual agencies.

I don't wish to do anything about this as the vacation has come and gone but I'm just curious as to if the TAs gave me accurate info. I now book direct with the cruise line as I've yet to find a good TA where I live that has the experience and knowledge for booking cruises.

Sandie

Sandie,

The way it works is that when you pay by credit card the cruise line is paid in full and they then send the agent the commission. If you pay by check or cash to your TA then the TA keeps the commission and sends the cruise line and agency check for the net amount. When the price drops and you've already paid in full then the cruise line will send the agency a check for the difference minus the commission that the agency already has. Which means that the agency commission went down so your TA should have given you a check for the entire price drop. Which would be the amount from the cruise line and the difference in the lower commission. I can't believe that 2 TA's did the same thing. Basically you were ripped off. Unbelivable that both TA's told the same lie!!! The cruise lines do not charge a fee to send you back the check.

I just can't believe the stories about TA's that I read on this board. The sure are a lot of them out there giving the rest of us bad names.:mad:

Let me clear up this issue...

I got the Senior Discount.

Then my TA said I might be surprised by what the final price of the cruise is b/c she thinks that they applied part of HER commission to my cruise cost thus making it even lower.

I don't understand this, hence all the questions.

AND...She was a recommendation from a friend!! :(

Am I confused here? From what you are saying in this post is that the cruise is going to cost less than you thought? If so why is everyone jumping on the TA as being a bad TA? I'm sorry if I am missing something, but I think I have read all the posts. Please let me know if I am incorrect?

Then my TA said I might be surprised by what the final price of the cruise is b/c she thinks that they applied part of HER commission to my cruise cost thus making it even lower.

Am I confused here? From what you are saying in this post is that the cruise is going to cost less than you thought? If so why is everyone jumping on the TA as being a bad TA? I'm sorry if I am missing something, but I think I have read all the posts. Please let me know if I am incorrect?

Hey, I'll explain since it's the thread I started.

I got the Senior Discount b/c my TA got it applied to my sailing.

However, after they did that, she thought they made a mistake in relation to her commission from them and that RCI had somehow applied her commission to my cruise price - thus lowering my cruise price and her commission.

I was under the impression she was asking me to pay her the commission lost b/c of this fumble. Hence, my questioning about

a) if I was responsbile for paying her - how can I word it to tell her I won't do that.

b) if I could just get out of it by transfering the booking away from her.

Hope that helps!

I think the OP is saying that the TRAVEL AGENT thinks RCI is taking some of her commission and using it to make the price for the customer lower than it should be. Therefore, it sounds like she wants the OP to pay some of it back to her!

Still not entirely clear but thank you. I didn't see that you mentioned she wanted you to pay her commission, only that you would be surprised since the price would be lower than what you thought. If it is true that she wants you to pay her, I would run also (and I have been an agent for over 12 years). But I must say, this doesn't sound like anything I have ever seen RCCL do on a price drop. Yes, her commission will be lower, but that would not be reflected on an invoice to the customer?

Has any resolution happened so far? Thanks for your reply!

Sandie,

The way it works is that when you pay by credit card the cruise line is paid in full and they then send the agent the commission. If you pay by check or cash to your TA then the TA keeps the commission and sends the cruise line and agency check for the net amount. When the price drops and you've already paid in full then the cruise line will send the agency a check for the difference minus the commission that the agency already has. Which means that the agency commission went down so your TA should have given you a check for the entire price drop. Which would be the amount from the cruise line and the difference in the lower commission. I can't believe that 2 TA's did the same thing. Basically you were ripped off. Unbelivable that both TA's told the same lie!!! The cruise lines do not charge a fee to send you back the check.

I just can't believe the stories about TA's that I read on this board. The sure are a lot of them out there giving the rest of us bad names.:mad:

Thanks for answering my post. I was pretty sure that was what happened as RCI had told me I would recieved the full price drop back but then the TAs gave me reduced amounts. With the one TA I had booked 2-3 trips per year for the last five years with her (mostly land vacations) that were all pretty expensive and that she was willing to lose my business over the $50 that she deducted from my cheque. She only gave me $90 from a $140 price drop.

The 2nd TA was the worst though as I was able to upgrade and get a price drop for the 2nd cruise but she didn't want to do it for me. I ended up contacting RCI myself after trying to solve the problem with her and even though initially I was given the we can't talk to you speech they eventually did listen to my story and then said they would contact my TA with the answer and then they would have her contact me.

At first she tried to tell me that they gave me the upgrade but not the price drop but I told her that I wanted to see the paperwork from RCI stating that I was not be getting the price drop and then she said that her company would honor the price drop even though RCI would not. I later found out that this was a lie also when the cruise docs came (RCI mailed them directly to me) and saw on the page where the cruise details are that the amount charged for the cruise was the reduced amount. That pretty much cemented my decision to never book a cruise through a TA again (at least in my city). The only reason that I didn't argue about the reduced cheques was that I had waited more than 4 weeks for them and just didn't think that it was worth the energy to argue when I had a cruise to look forward to.

I live in Kelowna (population 100,000) and I think that the problem is that the TAs here don't have much experience booking cruises and don't run into people requesting price drops but that is still not an excuse for their behavior. I would not hold my experiences with these particular TAs against all TAs as I know that there are many good ones out there!:)

Sandie

Thanks for answering my post. I was pretty sure that was what happened as RCI had told me I would recieved the full price drop back but then the TAs gave me reduced amounts. With the one TA I had booked 2-3 trips per year for the last five years with her (mostly land vacations) that were all pretty expensive and that she was willing to lose my business over the $50 that she deducted from my cheque. She only gave me $90 from a $140 price drop.

The 2nd TA was the worst though as I was able to upgrade and get a price drop for the 2nd cruise but she didn't want to do it for me. I ended up contacting RCI myself after trying to solve the problem with her and even though initially I was given the we can't talk to you speech they eventually did listen to my story and then said they would contact my TA with the answer and then they would have her contact me.

At first she tried to tell me that they gave me the upgrade but not the price drop but I told her that I wanted to see the paperwork from RCI stating that I was not be getting the price drop and then she said that her company would honor the price drop even though RCI would not. I later found out that this was a lie also when the cruise docs came (RCI mailed them directly to me) and saw on the page where the cruise details are that the amount charged for the cruise was the reduced amount. That pretty much cemented my decision to never book a cruise through a TA again (at least in my city). The only reason that I didn't argue about the reduced cheques was that I had waited more than 4 weeks for them and just didn't think that it was worth the energy to argue when I had a cruise to look forward to.

I live in Kelowna (population 100,000) and I think that the problem is that the TAs here don't have much experience booking cruises and don't run into people requesting price drops but that is still not an excuse for their behavior. I would not hold my experiences with these particular TAs against all TAs as I know that there are many good ones out there!:)

Sandie

I am sorry to hear that you too had problems as well.

After this whole scare (whether it turns out to be a kaffuffle or not), I don't think I will use a travel agent again for cruises at least. I found that I was doing the middle man work anyways, and I've learned so much about the process that I will just handle it myself next time.

I think I've realized that not only about travel, but about most things in life. It's easier on your own mind just to search, understand and know more for youself so YOU know what the best deal is, what the best route is, what the best choices are for you, instead of being led by someone else. It puts the power in our hands...ultimately we have to be responsible if it doesn't work out, but hey, at least we can have the pride knowing we did it ourselves :D

so kingsgirl, have you resolved this yet? i've been reading this thread like a soap opera and i want to know the ending!

we too have had some issues with our TA. the only reason we decided to use a TA was because we would get a $100 dillards gift card. we're getting a $50 GC and a boatload of problems (no pun intended). i have control issues, so from now on i will handle my own travel arrangements!

I am sorry to hear that you too had problems as well.

After this whole scare (whether it turns out to be a kaffuffle or not), I don't think I will use a travel agent again for cruises at least. I found that I was doing the middle man work anyways, and I've learned so much about the process that I will just handle it myself next time.

I think I've realized that not only about travel, but about most things in life. It's easier on your own mind just to search, understand and know more for youself so YOU know what the best deal is, what the best route is, what the best choices are for you, instead of being led by someone else. It puts the power in our hands...ultimately we have to be responsible if it doesn't work out, but hey, at least we can have the pride knowing we did it ourselves :D

Yes I gotta agree........its much easier to book directly with RCI. I've booked 3 cruises already this year with a fantastic CSR at RCI (actually the same fellow that helped me last year when I had problems) and its been smooth sailing!:D Now my only problem is that I'm addicted to cruising!!!:p:p:D I'm thinking of booking a 12 nighter over Christmas and New Years and then only 2 more cruises and I'll have made Diamond in just over two years!

If you do decide to transfer your booking I have been told that if you request this TA to release your booking to RCI that they cannot refuse to do so. Good luck with your current situation and I hope that everything works out for you!

Sandie

OK, after reading what you have discussed, plus my own experiences, I will never use a TA again for RCC cruises. In the end, it is our money being spent and we have no interest in having to deal with a TA. RCC is great in speaking with you and I see no reason to use a TA.:p

Okay so update!!

I don't know if my TA is floating around here or somehow knows, but there was a recant of what was initially said.

Now it seems as though I'm not being asked to pay commission although the details have still not been finalized in that area with RCI as far as I know.

I am receiving new docs soon, I was told, so I will check and see what the official discount is on my cruise!

BTW, before anyone thinks it, I honestly know she initially was asking me to pay her, and I didn't misunderstand her. I was just so shocked by it that I admittingly freaked out a bit b/c I hate confrontations and didn't want to ruin the vacation I'd already planned for nearly 1 1/2 years!

Will let you know when I get my updated documents! Thanks for all the posts. I was so in need of advice - ya'll are great!

Archived