Homer BnB's, Hotels??

JohnQ

Does anyone have any experience with lodging in Homer? Looking for b & b preferably and hopefully one under $100, which is where most of them seem to be in high season. Thought they would be lower at the end of August but not to be. Need help!!

Although nothing fancy, I've stayed at the Sunspin a few times. Fairly inexpensive. I will be there end of August - also- Lousia is playing at the Pier One theater in town- I've got tickets for that too.

BQ

You are unbelievable! Already have all your transp, hotels, flights, excursions for two weeks of fun and still have time to book your entertainment! We are not too late for good wildlife/sealife in Homer are we? Would a cruise from Seward be much better than something out of Homer?

I'm either going to have to pay over $100 a night in Homer and Anc or settle for something else, like no breakfast include, no bay view, or questionable pictures/descriptions. I have searched hundreds of BnB's and hotels. I can't believe prices are still that high and that they can be double or half from 8/31 to 9/1. You don't want to give up the name of some of your favorites in Anc do you? You could email me. We don't get pay raises or overtime in Calif anymore. Thanks again.

Still need more help!!!!!!!

In Anchorage look at the Teddy Bear B&B or the Chickadee. Both reasonable B&B's. Your tastes are different than mine. I have stayed at some wonderful B&B's that weren't luxury but offered me lower rates. But as I say- I do have low standards. :) Seward boat trips offer glacier viewing and varied wildlife. Homer is very scenic too, no guarantees- but this is the top area for fly in brown bear viewing- my main reason for going to Homer this year.

Thanks BQ. We did book at Chickadee after they had emailed info from my earlier inquiry. We also found one in Homer. Still researching bear watching in Homer or Juneua. Have been to Bald Mtn site and one other but didn't see Halo tour you mentioned? Have you done the Talkeetna Air Taxi tours? This is different than Talkeetnal Aero right? I've seen some use both interchangeably.

BQ

Nancy at Chickadee sounds like my grandmother! Should be fine. As for bear watching, found the HalloBay site last night. Have you done before? 4-6 hours bear watching, especially standing, seems like a lot? Especially, since I don't know what you do about bathroom facilities? And I don't think I would want to go into the bushes by myself and come back out with 4-legged company! Seems like 1-2 hours of bear time would be plenty. I could shoot a whole bunch of film and video in that time!!! Also have FlynFish site that I think you gave me. Have you been with them. I don't understand the language on their site that they are not a typical bear watching tour and you may not see bears with them? Don't know what this means? Do they not have permits and go to only one spot where you may or may not see bears rather than going to wherever the bears are that day? And why do some of the companies say they have waders for use. Do you wade through streams or marsh areas?

Also looking at Island Wings or Carlin for black bears at Traitor Cove for about $200 per person less, but afraid to pass up browns in Homer and then can't fly in Ketchikan due to bad weather. Valid concern?

I am going with Hallo Bay next month. It was the least "rustic". Waders may be necessary on any bear trip here. As for Pack Creek- verify that Alaska Fly N Fish have permits still. Their disclaimer is the same as most other bear tours- no guarantees. They drop off and you walk to the platform- it's not guided. For me- the blacks no way compare to the big browns. Just my opinion only.

We are staying two nites but we have driving time from Anc to Homer on first day including trips for first time there all the way down. Last day driving to Seward for day and leaving next day back to anc for train back to Seward!

Calling HalloBay this morn to get more info. Still got no answer on the 6-8hr of viewing-- whether this is continuous standing in one spot watching or waiting for bears or includes time from plane to spot, also not sure about bathroom facilities?

Hi John,

This will be the third year in a row we have been to Hallo Bay and the fourth we have been to Homer. We are going the last day of August until Sept. 12.

First year, day bear viewing, second year 2 days/2 nights, which really turned into 3 days/two nights. This year, Hallo Bay is offering as a package, what we did last year as a lark. As far as standing all that time, you won't. Generally sit on the beach or walk slowly along. There are no bathrooms (use the weeds, I guess). I tried to post a picture from last year when we went on the third day with the "day bear viewers", but it is too large. We literally sat on the beach 30 feet from 2 4 year old females for more than 30 minutes. Andy, the pilot, finally scared them off, when he came to pick us up. If you would like some of the pictures we took on the beach last year, email me. greatam@earthlink.net

The plane leaves about 8:00-9:00 from Homer-a lot depends on the weather. You must be prepared to be fogged in or out. Then Andy, the pilot, returns about 3-4 to pick you up. In between, he takes people who are checking out back to Homer. That is what happened last year. We were leaving, he brought the "day" bear viewers over from Homer. No one else was going back to Homer, except us. They asked if we could stay for the day, go with the day bear viewers, and then Andy would only have to make one trip to Homer. COULD WE STAY??? FOREVER (except the winter). It worked so well, that now is their 3 day/2 night trip.

Check out the Spit Road B&B http://www.spitroadlodge.com/rates.html

Good location. Friends have stayed there and really enjoyed it.

One thing, DO NOT go walking out on the "beach". Lots of people think the "goo" around the Homer Spit is beach. It is not. It is treacherous. There are stories all over about people getting sucked in the "goo" and not being able to get out. Just be careful. The true beach around the Homer Spit is mostly rock.

Hallo Bay is also now operating a B & B in Homer. If you need further info, please ask.

Greatam

WOW, thanks for the review. We booked with Clint, Simyra this morning for 8/31. Still not sure what to expect, but hope it is as good as you had. Did you all have good raingear for your first trip or just a poncho? Waterproof hiking boots? I have hiking shoes, but not waterproof and my wife has neither, nor do we have good rain jackets or pants. Did it rain much on any or all of your trips? Did you stay then at the Wilderness Camp? or at their BnB? We looked at most of the BnB's that had webpages or 800 #'s and booked last week with 3 Mooses BnB. So there is no white sandy beach to go beachcombing in Homer or on the spit? What else should we do there in our other half day and early morning before we leave? Best places to eat? Thanks again for all the info. I will email you re the pictures.

Hi John,

If you are driving from ANC, you can make a whole day trip out of that. Stop at the overlook at Turnagain Arm, drive to Aleyeska resort, you can ride the tram to the top and have lunch (20.00pp last year, including lunch), go to the little candle shop in Aleyeska-great seal and whale oil candles at a great price. There's also a wildlife refuge (they take in all kinds of injured animals) which is real close to Aleyeska. I can't think of the name, but it is almost right across from the entrance to Aleyeska-right where you turn to go to Seward. From there, driving southwest, you can enjoy the drive along the Kenai. Lots of scenery and places to take pictures. The restaurant in Ninilchik has decent food at a decent price. It is about 35 miles before you reach Homer.

Once you get to Homer-fish and chips place on the Spit has good food. Lots of stuff besides fish and chips. We eat a LOT at the restaurant on the Spit which is above the grocery store. Can't remember the name, but good food (home cooked stuff like chicken fried steak and meatloaf). Breakfast there is also very good. It is reasonably priced for Homer. Not fancy, really plain, but nice people and decent food.

There are a lot of galleries and shops on the Spit. If you want a fancy dinner, the Charthouse at Land's End has good steak and such. And the bar at Land's End is a very nice place to be about 6:00PM, when the halibut charters come in.

You can take a drive East of Homer. It is called East End Rd. and the scenery is breathtaking. There is a little "hippie" grocery store, Fritz Creek General Store, in Fritz Creek, which has some 1960 type snacks-carob brownies, natural fruit rollups and dried fruit. All of the Homer/Fritz Creek/Anchor Point area has an ambiance like Venice Beach, 1968. Maybe that's why I like Homer so much-born and raised in Los Angeles area and yes, I was in Venice Beach in 1968.

You also need to go to the Salty Dawg Saloon. Take something from home, like a hat from work or something like that. You pin it on the wall or the ceiling or wherever there may be room. Drinks are good and it is just a fun place.

You will probably need waterproof boots at Hallo Bay. It really depends where they take you-on the beach at the southwest end, you won't get very wet feet. But if the bears are by the camp, you may need knee high waders. You can buy them in Homer at the little fishing shop on the Spit (right across from "the Fishing Hole") for about $15.00. Make sure you dress in layers and have something so if it does rain, you won't be TOO miserable. A poncho should be fine. Take lots of film and batteries. Be prepared to be very quiet and leave no trash. Camp rules!!!

And make sure you take out trip <A TITLE="Click for more information about insurance" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||insurance|AA1VDw">insurance</A>. It sounds like you have limited time in the area. If you cannot fly due to fog or weather conditions, your trip insurance should reimburse you. But check the policy closely-some policies state you must be grounded for 48 hours. Clint recommends it, it is on their website. If you only have one day, and for some reason you cannot go, Clint will allow you to come back within a year, but there are NO refunds. It happened to us the first year we went to Homer. Fogged in for 2 days and had to get to Seward to meet the ship. Thank goodness for the trip insurance.

Hope this answered your questions.

Gina

Gina,

Thanks, I got the pictures also, look good. Our cabin is right off of that east end road. Not sure about the hiking boots, sure hate to try to pack something like that for wearing one day out of 15! Won't go too well with my tux. My wife has hard time finding ones that don't hurt her feet. I guess we could buy rubber boots in Homer, and leave at camp after, but sounds like a waste. The alternative is to wear whatever hiking shoes, tennis shoes we have and maybe have wet feet all day if they don't have boots to fit. Are you going the whole time in Homer or other Alaska land trip? No cruise? We have driven to Seward and back in 2002 and saw most of the things along there but not towards Homer. How many bears do you usually see in a day trip here? Have you taken the bay cruise or gone over to the state park?

Good morning John,

How about buying the boots in Homer and shipping them home via the post office? Dennis insisted on HIP WADERS the 2nd year and that is how we got them home. Keep the box from the store and just send them from the PO in Homer or ANC.

As you can see from the pictures taken in Homer, there is not much for beach. And the picture with the eagle-the "goo" is where the water is in the picture. When the tide is out, it looks like black sand beach in Hawaii. But it is not. It is treacherous, definitely like quick sand.

No cruise-the year we did the cruise, 2002, it seemed like such a let down after all we had seen in two years in Alaska. We had already been to Denali, the North Slope and the Kenai before we took the cruise. Touristy little towns did not interest us in the least. The only excursion we went on was the helicopter to the glacier.

This year-2 days fishing in Homer, fly to Barrow to see the polar bears (maybe-if they are in town when we are there), go to Hallo Bay for 3 days/2 nights, and go fishing and hang around Homer the rest of the time.

How many bears? No one can answer that question. Sometimes a LOT (10-15) sometimes only one or two. Did you mean the water taxi? We have taken the water taxi to Halibut Cove and Soldovia. Did you mean Katchemak Bay State Park? We don't hike, so never been there. I don't think there is a lot to do except hike. We hike enough fishing in the rivers north of Homer-well, let's put it this way, Dennis hikes, I sit in the car and read books and enjoy nature.

The Danny J tour to Halibut Cove is good-here's a link. http://www.centralcharter.com/HalibutCove.htm

Don't know anything about the booking agency-when we did it, we just walked into their office in the Homer Marina and told them we wanted to go to dinner at the Saltry.

Have fun. There is a lot to do around the Homer area. Really a lot more than your time allows. You won't be bored.

Archived