How far and how much to Accra/Sandy BEach

Hflors

Accra is the best beach on the south coast. You can get chairs umbrellas food and drinks there. It is about 15mins from the port or about 6-8 miles. The only reason you take that long is because you will pass through Bridgetown (The Capital) to get to Accra and there will be some traffic but no big thing. Not sure of the cost but should not ne more than $20 by taxi. Yes there are taxi vans available. There is also a Taxi stand at Accra beach entrance so it will be easy to get a taxi to return to the port. enjoy,

Accra is the best beach on the south coast. You can get chairs umbrellas food and drinks there. It is about 15mins from the port or about 6-8 miles. The only reason you take that long is because you will pass through Bridgetown (The Capital) to get to Accra and there will be some traffic but no big thing. Not sure of the cost but should not ne more than $20 by taxi. Yes there are taxi vans available. There is also a Taxi stand at Accra beach entrance so it will be easy to get a taxi to return to the port. enjoy,

Thanks for your quick reply. Can I ask another question. Do you have any idea if there is a charge for the beach and any idea about how much for umbrella and chairs?

There is no charge for the beach. Chairs were around $12Bds for the day. Thats $6 U.S . not sure about the umbrella cost but it cant be much. You could negotiate a package deal. There is also a nice air-con fast food restaurant called cheffete across the road from the beach. You can always go there to cool off and they serve pizza, chicken + fries, salads, BBQ chicken and steaks. Very good.

You will enjoy it. I lived there for several years.

just came back from our cruise. we went to the beach in the afternoon with a rental car so i can't help with the cost of a taxi. 15-20 minutes is about right to get there. i would also second the suggestion to use cheffette. they also serve rotis and ice cream. if you never have tried one this is a good place to start. rotis are curry spiced meat and potatoes and vegetables in a large crepe type dough. yumm!!

steve

I went to Accra 4 days ago and they have some new blue chair that are $10 BBD ($5US) for the entire day if you choose. Umbrellas are $10 - $15 BBD ($5 - $7:50US).

Older chairs will cost you about $2.50US or $5 BBD.

Chefette is a GREAT change and a big improvement on McDonalds!

Do you know Barbados is the only country in the world that McDonalds Failed!!!

De Islandman

Hi Islandman, good to have a fellow caricom CC member here. Thought you should know Mc Donalds also failed in T&T. There were 3 restaurants and they all went belly up in about 2 years. Who needs Mc d's when you can get the best roti in the world here:D

Hflors - our group of 13 (ages 2 to 71) spent from 9:30 am to 3:00 pm at Accra mid December during our cruise stop. Taxi was a nice van (held 9 of us) and the cost was $7.50 US per person each way. The driver picked us up at 3:00 and we only had to pay him at that time. The drive was about 15 min each way. No charge for beach and our chairs were $5 US each. We didn't need an umbrella as we were there so early we had some of our chairs under the trees. Just awesome!! Chefette's is great - right across the street and my roti was awesome. However, I love the flying fish so before I left, I had to get a flying fish sandwich from the little kiosks right by the beach. Also Quayside Mall (small strip mall) is just next to Chefette (well, 3-4 bldgs down the road) and there is also a small food court just behind the mall. The cruise terminal building had sufficient shopping for us to look around for an hour before boarding the ship. Fabulous day.

I've been to Barbados twice before (land vacations) and the beach we spent the most time at was Sandy Beach - just south of Accra beach. I don't know the prices of beer at Accra but the strip between Accra and Sandy Beach has tons of restaurants, grocery stores, etc. For our upcoming cruise we are bringing a cooler bag and grabbing some beer and coolers (Smirnoff Ice was really popular in Barbados when we were there last year) and just heading to the beach. This is the only island stop where we are planning on doing this - only because we know there are tons of places to pick up booze.

Just another option that I thought I would suggest. On the weekends all of the locals go to the beach with their drinks/food etc. so it wasn't a problem bringing our own stuff.

Archived