Pay for steam bath?

KBC73

This weekend we are going to book the Maasdam for South Carib in Nov. and I have a question.

Am I understanding this right? We have to pay to use the steam baths and sauna on the Maasdam.

We have used them on other cruise lines at no cost.

Kevin

I understand from a previous thread here that the steam room requires a fee, but the sauna is still free. That seems odd to me and I may be wrong about it. If I am someone will set us straight soon.

Until this year, the mens' steam room had always been free.

This is an unfortunate change by HAL. I'm not very happy about it.

I understand from a previous thread here that the steam room requires a fee, but the sauna is still free. That seems odd to me and I may be wrong about it. If I am someone will set us straight soon.

Until this year, the mens' steam room had always been free.

This is an unfortunate change by HAL. I'm not very happy about it.

Really?? This is the first I heard of this. Did they reconfigure that area of the ship? They were side by side off the mens locker room.

I am not happy about that either.

Can you give me a link to the thread you mentioned?

I wrote an e-mail to HAL asking specifically about Vista class ships and was informed that steamrooms are part of the thermal spa area (a fee is charged), separate ladies and gents saunas remain free.

I wrote an e-mail to HAL asking specifically about Vista class ships and was informed that steamrooms are part of the thermal spa area (a fee is charged), separate ladies and gents saunas remain free.

RustaRoo,

The Maasdam isn't a Vista class.....What I am wondering about is the S class....Maasdam, Veendam, Statendam and Ryndam.

I believe the steam rooms are still free on the S Class.

FYI the free saunas on the Vista class are about the size of a medium closet.

I think you are right...this is the 1st thread where it was suggested there was a charge for S class steamrooms.

Also agree that the sauna on the Vista is pretty small....also far removed from the locker room. I had a hard time finding it on the Oosterdam.

Sean, still can't answer your question regarding charges, if any, for the steam room on the S class ship; however, on the R ships (specifically the Amsterdam, Oct 06) there was a charge for the steam room. With the SOE upgrades the steam room (co-ed) was moved into the Thermal Spa. Separate saunas remained. Women's sauna was in the women's locker room. Men's sauna (no charge) was across the hall from the men's locker area and adjacent to the massage rooms.

Not sure what changes were made to the sauna/steam area on the S class ships during the SOE. The deck plans do not give a good picture. However, a guess would be that there is a charge for the steam if it is part of the Thermal Spa.

I cruise on the Veendam in April so will have experience at that time.

Bob

We were on the Zaandam this past September and, if I recall correctly, the steam room was a part of the Spa Package (read fee), but the sauna was separate and free.

Zaandam is an R Class, I believe.

Bottom line, I expect you will be charged for the steam room. Hope someone makes a liar out of me.

Sean, still can't answer your question regarding charges, if any, for the steam room on the S class ship; however, on the R ships (specifically the Amsterdam, Oct 06) there was a charge for the steam room. With the SOE upgrades the steam room (co-ed) was moved into the Thermal Spa. Separate saunas remained. Women's sauna was in the women's locker room. Men's sauna (no charge) was across the hall from the men's locker area and adjacent to the massage rooms.

Not sure what changes were made to the sauna/steam area on the S class ships during the SOE. The deck plans do not give a good picture. However, a guess would be that there is a charge for the steam if it is part of the Thermal Spa.

I cruise on the Veendam in April so will have experience at that time.

Bob

Being that they were moved on the Amsterdam , I bet the same thing was done to the S class when the SOE was done. So no free steam rooms then.

Oh boy, I am so excited by the SOE upgrades......so much more luxurious...NOT! Luxury to me was having a free sauna and steam included in my fare. Now I have to pay extra for steam.....nice "improvment".:mad:

Kind of fits though. When I was on the Veendam in '04, the steamroom was being retiled. I was talking to the guy in charge of the project and he told me the main office kept denying his request to fix it (the tiles were falling off the wall). He said he got tired of waiting and went ahead and retyled it. Now I know his lack of "go-ahead" was because it's location would be changed with the SOE "improvements".

We were on the Zaandam this past September and, if I recall correctly, the steam room was a part of the Spa Package (read fee), but the sauna was separate and free.

Zaandam is an R Class, I believe.

Bottom line, I expect you will be charged for the steam room. Hope someone makes a liar out of me.

I am afraid you won't be a liar......:mad:

I would like to thank you all for your input. My TA called HAL and asked the same question and got the run around. That's why I came to the boards.

It seems that you have to buy the thermal suite pass but we never had to pay on other lines.

Kevin

I would like to thank you all for your input. My TA called HAL and asked the same question and got the run around. That's why I came to the boards.

It seems that you have to buy the thermal suite pass but we never had to pay on other lines.

Kevin

Kevin,

Which lines didn't you have to pay for the steamroom? The Celebrity Millennium class never had a free steamroom, just a sauna in the locker room. Basically HAL is becoming like Celebrity in this respect.

The sauna is still free on both lines. Just that steam is a whole lot better, but no longer free on HAL.

We just returned from a week on the Star Princess. Both the steam and sauna were free. Superb separate facilities for the men and ladies. Spacious and quite beautiful. No charge and open 24 hours a day. Great shower, too.

We did not fall in love with Princess by any means, but we DID with the steam and sauna!

Lately, I have had a low level frustration with HAL's infatuation with the Spa business. Oh, well.....

We just returned from a week on the Star Princess. Both the steam and sauna were free. Superb separate facilities for the men and ladies. Spacious and quite beautiful. No charge and open 24 hours a day. Great shower, too.

We did not fall in love with Princess by any means, but we DID with the steam and sauna!

Lately, I have had a low level frustration with HAL's infatuation with the Spa business. Oh, well.....

Thanks for the info on Princess. I have only sailed them once and didn't use the steamroom on that trip. I will check that out on the Diamond Princess when I go in May.:)

Archived