Can you rent a prescription mask anywhere in St Thomas or St Maarten?

cruisinkimmie

We will be cruising in July on the Caribbean Princess. My husband wears glasses (has never worn contacts). Is there anyplace on these islands to rent a prescription mask. If we do the excursion through the ship, would the dive shops that the ship contracts with have prescription mask rentals?

Any suggestions?

diveoptx is the thing you are looking for. They are inserts for masks that stick on the inside of the glass. That way DH can use any mask. You can get them at your local dive shop.

<font color="FF6600">

if there's a way to construe my post as non-argumentative, please do so.</font>

Cruise photos on my Home page <font color="990066">

Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>21, March 2004

So when is the next cruise?

I agree with Brucejr.

I just purchased a set with magnification at + (plus)3.0 (I'm almost blind without my glasses). With the diveoptx, I am able to read larger print paperbacks. Given the natural magnification of water, coupled with the diveoptx, I will be able to read all my gauges, as well as camera settings.

I will only use one at a time. In case I lose one, I will have the other one as a spare.

I found mine at our local Divers Direct store. $29.95. Divers Direct also has some masks with negative (-) magnification so your husband may be able to obtain what he needs.

John

sea-jay at cfl dot rr dot com

First Cruise:

Explorer of the Seas 8/31/02 Western Caribbean

Then:

Sovereign of the Seas 8/28/03 Nassau

Last Cruise:

Mariner of the Seas 11/23/03 Eastern Caribbean

Next Sovereign of the Seas 9/24/04

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, wait a second - will this work for anyone, or just people who use reading glasses?:confused:

Forgive me if I sound stupid, but you might have just provided us with a solution to a long-standing problem. My husband, son and myself all wear glasses, and this is one of the things that in the past prevented us from snorkeling or diving. For myself, I'm blind as a bat without my glasses :eek: , and wear a very strong prescription. I know it's difficult to tell, but I wonder if a 3 (being the strongest offered here) would be strong enough, do you think, combined with the magnification of the water? It might be worth a try, and it's certainly inexpensive enough.

Thanks for the link!!

Sharon H.

Archived