Best French side beach for young kids?

SusieQT

Kids are 5 & 3, need gentle surf, gentle slope to deep water, refreshments, chairs/umbrellas, and a bathroom. Able to access by taxi........

HELP!

Since no one has jumped in......

We have never been to Gallion Beach but others here say the waters are gentle, good for little rugrats. Orient is too rough and the beach has dropoffs in the water. Can't help you on activities but check all the posts here.

Here is a link to the thread, some good answers here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=462329

I wonder where my very carefully constructed, informative response to this question, with four links to previous threads and additional information, was disappeared to?

Perhaps I will attempt again, tomorrow.

Hint; search here for my posts re: "Galion"

gary

Since no one has jumped in......

We have never been to Gallion Beach but others here say the waters are gentle, good for little rugrats. Orient is too rough and the beach has dropoffs in the water. Can't help you on activities but check all the posts here.

Here is a link to the thread, some good answers here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=462329

Isn't Little Divi on the Dutch side?

Remember....most beaches are topless beaches.....and of course it's not the attractive women going topless.......and I'm a woman. My family went snorkling on Pinel Beach and there were two or three very large topless women. My 8 year old at the time said...."WHY ARE THEY DOING THAT???"

Remember....most beaches are topless beaches.....and of course it's not the attractive women going topless.......and I'm a woman. My family went snorkling on Pinel Beach and there were two or three very large topless women. My 8 year old at the time said...."WHY ARE THEY DOING THAT???"

I know, I know....we have been to SXM several times as a cruise ship stop, last time DH did the Regatta and then we shopped in town. We have not been to the French side and want to go this time. I'm not too concerned about the nudity, my kids probably won't notice anyway.

My kids love to play at the beach, and Little Divi doesn't appeal to us.

and...

Oh.....and my 17-year old daughter said....."GROSS!"

So did my husband.

French St Martin is not a pickup bar with sand on the floor. It is for people who like to take their tops off (and bottoms sometimes) at the beach. They are not auditioning for a suitcase on "Deal or no Deal" :D .

Where is it written that only hunks and babes are allowed to take off their suits at the beach ????

You're kidding right?????

We were a family of four on vacation.....no one was trying to pick up anyone.

....Oh.....and my 17-year old daughter said....."GROSS!"

So did my husband.

You seem to be missing the point. I agree with The Booper, Orient is for [any and all] people who like to take their tops off (and bottoms sometimes) at the beach. The fact that these were "very large" women should have no bearing on the matter. Who knows, those women might have been discussing all the cruisers gawking at the topless women and rendering a score for each person. ;)

Sorry......didn't mean to upset anyone.

I guess I'm nude-"phobic"

To me you came across as nude-"phobic" only as related to less than perfect people, and I'm sure that's not how you really are.

It seems to be common for people who are first exposed to the european form of sunbathing to make comments such as "those who should be nude weren't, and those who shouldn't be, were". Or other comments in a like manner. I write the comments off as being said by someone who has a preset idea about what a topless or nude setting is all about, and instead find ordinary average people enjoying themselves (yes, truely the woman and man next door). This nude beauty misconception is promoted by the US media and entertainment outlets and has little to do with reality. At home, an average woman would be arrested if she dared to sit in her own backyard and sun topless, but the same folks who would be up in arms over her harmless exposure will enjoy seeing movie stars bare all.

We enjoy extended vacations to St. Martin and also very much enjoy all the beaches. We understand that beach users who wear less than most US visitors are used to seeing are not there to provide entertainment, but are there to relax and to enjoy themselves. More power to them - all ages and all sizes.

I would suggest that visitors with children (of all ages:) ) take time to explain that they will see people enjoying their time in the sun in a manner perhaps not seen at home - and that is just the way it is at beaches with a european influence.

I'm not a small women myself......I wouldn't feel comfortable whether they were old or small.....big or little.

I was making the comment for the children......who are taught what should (in our country) be covered by a bathing suit.....and what will not be covered by a bathing suit on most French style beaches.

I'm not a small women myself......I wouldn't feel comfortable whether they were old or small.....big or little.

I was making the comment for the children......who are taught what should (in our country) be covered by a bathing suit.....and what will not be covered by a bathing suit on most French style beaches.

This isn't entirely accurate. There are many, many beaches and other recreational spots in the US where the "parts" you're talking about are not expected to be covered. "Should" is an entirely personal opinion and, in this case, absolutely does not speak for our entire country or its citizens.

The beginning of your comments certainly were meant to be sure parents know that topless female sunbathing (and nude sunbathing on some beaches) is the custom on St. Martin. The rest of it was, IMO, unnecessary and insulting. I have to assume that if those women had met your DH's standards of attractiveness, then he wouldn't have said, "gross," but rather, "wow! hubba-hubba" (or words to that effect) and it would have perfectly okay.

Why did you not respond to your 8 y/o that they were "doing that" because it is the way that people enjoy the beach there? You missed a great lesson in acceptance of customs other than what you are used to and polite behavior. If your 17 y/o daughter thinks it's "gross," fine, but you could have pointed out that the human body comes in all shapes, sizes, and ages. Our young women have pressure enough being told that if they aren't "perfect" looking that they are somehow "less than" those who do meet the current "ideal" (whether through genetics, exercise/diet, or surgery).

It's absolutely no problem if you and your family don't care to see less than perfect women enjoying being topless on a topless beach. But telling us that your family thinks it's "gross" has nothing to do with your stated intention of making a "comment for the children" unless you meant to further the mistaken belief that it is okay for perfect people, but not for the imperfect 99.9% of the population.

(Yes, this is a hot button issue for me.)

beachchick

My wife and I (and many of our friends) look at the matter that all sun worshippers are equal. Some might be topless, almost nude or nude. When we see someone who has a very nice figure we might comment to each other (in envy ;) ). Otherwise everyone just blends together. Some are just more equal than others.

It's actually more fun just to watch the reactions of people who are either gawkers or have their own narrow beliefs which run counter to international norms in sunbathing.

Archived