bet you can't beat my formal price

bravemom

gray and black beaded mid length dress-tags and little bag of replacement beads still attached:$10.99. bought it the same place i bought for my last cruise (again new-it think $7.99) Goodwill Industries. the only thing i can figure is that someone bought it (1) hoping to fit into it (and did'nt) or (2) a special event failed to materialize.

i am amazed at the number of new or once worn formals you can find on the racks at Goodwill-if i bought a new formal dress that i did'nt plan to keep, it would never occur to me to donate it to goodwill, i would to tend to use a consignment shop or donate it to a charity consignment shop where they could get more of a benefit.

Amazing price+

I went to ebay the other night, I entered "NWT evening 8" and there popped approx 40 dresses. The prices were very attractive, so I placed a bit on one of them. I'm curious as to how well tailored these evening gowns are for the prices they are selling at....... anyone have any experience?:rolleyes:

never bought on e-bay (i like to try on clothes before i buy-the same size dress can vary so much from manufacturer to manufacturer). given a good enough price it could still be a bargain with tailoring cost added in. there's also another avenue that just came to me-a costume rental shop. the large ones that rent to community theatre groups often have large selections that they've bought in bridal and specialty store close-outs. during the non halloween times of year a person could probably rent a couple of dresses for a fairly reasonable price.

I have found that the evening dresses sold on ebay, from bridal shops, are typically tailored, and that means you need to up your dress size. These dresses may be worn as bridal show pieces, or, may simply be the model ones in the shops.

I bought a lovely formal gown, peach colored with a few scattered, sequined butterflys for $8 in Marshall's back in 99. Their original price had been $50 but it had a I think Chadwicks (or some other mail-order house) tag for $199.

I recently wore it a second time on my cruise in April. Now I plan to donate it to the thrift store since I got it so cheap anyway. Who knows it may show up on another cruise.

gray and black beaded mid length dress-tags and little bag of replacement beads still attached:$10.99. bought it the same place i bought for my last cruise (again new-it think $7.99) Goodwill Industries. the only thing i can figure is that someone bought it (1) hoping to fit into it (and did'nt) or (2) a special event failed to materialize.

i am amazed at the number of new or once worn formals you can find on the racks at Goodwill-if i bought a new formal dress that i did'nt plan to keep, it would never occur to me to donate it to goodwill, i would to tend to use a consignment shop or donate it to a charity consignment shop where they could get more of a benefit.

I got a new dress at Kaufmann's for $13.00 regularly solf for $182.00, the dress is maroon/with bronze beadwork with a black shear lace that goes over the dress. The straps are 2 thin strips and the gown is a long formal. Words don't do it justice, I will take pictures when i cruise in December.

And ladies, I don't know about where YOU live, but here in CT, it's sales, sales, sales. I was in Filene's over the wkend buying bras, and they had a couple of racks of formal wear. I didn't have time to peruse through :confused: but I'm going back this wkend. July sales in CT are fantastic. But you have to have time to poke. :rolleyes:

Archived