Barbados Southbound -Brief review

Pudgesmom

We returned from the jan 14 sailing Monday- had a great time.

The Windsurf looked beautiful. We had only previouly been on the Windstar. The open area in the middle of the ship with leather furnishings, big screen tv, books, DVDs, etc. was particularly nice. No hammocks yet, apparently the first try didn't work, so they are redesigning!

We boarded about 1:30 after an overnight at the Coconut Court Resort. DH played 9 of 18 holes (it rained) at the Barbados Golf Club in the am and really liked the course. We settled right in after rum punch and registration, and I had a massage with MaryAnn-ahhhhh.

Bequia - took a water taxi to the beach for a couple hours. We rented two chairs and they came with a beer each. Very quiet and relaxing island.

St. Lucia - DH golfed with the ship- we were glad, too, as the port time is short here. Pigeon Island has a nice beach with OK snorkeling. I enjoyed that and lunch at the little shack right by the tender dock. The island tour was not well received. Golf was good, not great.

The ship departs around 3:30 to permit a sunset passage of the Piton peaks. Lovely.

Dominica - We did a two tank dive with the ship. We were picked up directly from the ship by Dive Dominica, on a well appointed dive boat. We saw the usual suspects in outstanding visibility, along with a sea horse, octopus, and two frog fish. The island itself looks like Jurassic Park.

Mayreau - I did the catamaran snorkel trip to the Tobago Cays. It was a good tour, including the rum punch! This was the beach bar b que, which everyone really liked. The water sports were all transported to the shore.

Grenada - We took a cab to Grand Anse Beach and toured Spice Island Resort. Purchased spices for gifts and some mahogany leaf-shaped serving platters right before reboarding.

Tobago- You guessed it! Back to the beach- its a bit of a walk, up a gigantic hill and then down 170 steps, but worth the trip. We tried the seaDoo behind the ski boat from the ship. It was really fun,

(These may be out of order a little:) )

The food, as before, was excellent. We ate two nights in the Bistro (one of those was Indonesian), 3 nights in the Restaurant, and two nights room service. DH loved the omelets for breafast on deck every day, and I received room service promptly as ordered the night before. We also had room service popcorn most nights with our DVD.

Shade was more plentiful on the Windsurf decks than on the Windstar. The gym is so much better. I agree with some here that the larger size makes the ship slightly less intimate. On our Monday morning flight home, I sat next to a couple who had been on the ship all week with us, but we met on the plane.

Passengers were friendly, moderately active, average age probably mid to late 50's. The crew was efficient and friendly. Two crewmembers recognized us from our Panama Canal trip last January. We only visited the bridge one time.

Thats it in a nut(meg) shell. I would try to answer any questions if I can.

Beth

Archived