Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

I am surprised to see loud complaints on other forums about missed ports in the Gulf of Mexico. After all, 'tis the season.

I was thinking that if I had booked a cruise from San Diego to Mexico, and then the itinerary changed at the last minute because of a hurricane in Cabo San Lucas, and so for safety reasons the ship went up the coast to Vancouver instead. I certainly would understand the reason for the itinerary change. However, since the majority of passengers would have brought warm-weather clothes, why shouldn't the ship just sail a cruise-to-nowhere in warm climes out of the hurricane's path, with generous On Board Credits? Must passengers want to stop, stop and stop in various ports? What are your opinions?

Donald.

Ruby,

I see on Captain Albert's Weblog that he will be your Captain for your May cruise. It should be interesting to be able to supplement your day with the report of the Captain. As you say "What a hoot".

It is so quite now with everyone packing or unpacking or travelling. I wish that I were able to go anywhere. With the travel insurance problems, I will have to suffice with the local ferry. I did take my chances and shuffled off to Buffalo for a day of cross border shopping but there is no comparison to cruising.

Fran

It is my thought that the people are not satisfied with low prices on cruises. Although they have accepted the terms of their contracts with the cruise line, they cry when things are not as they expected. They expect compensation thus causing higher prices.

Do they realize how fortunate it is that a cruise ship can change course and avoid a storm unlike those who live in the direct path. Did they want to remain on course? Do they think that it is amusing? What do I think? I don't think that they deserve another minute of my thoughts.

Fran

Donald, I always thought that these deviations were for safety reasons. I am happy to know that I am in good hands. Now, I have been reading that some ports on the Royal Caribbean have been deleted to save fuel by going slower. This is unacceptable.

Fran

Ruby is lucky to have the opportunity to sail with Capt. Albert - I haven't (yet) but I've known him in cyberspace for a long time and he's great... A real ship enthusiast. It is always a pleasure to come across someone who is passionate about his job.

As for itinerary changes, it's true that some cruise lines are adjusting their itineraries due to fuel prices. Perfectly legal, of course, since the passage contract allows them to do just about anything they want. I can see why people would be upset about that, though - it is, after all, being done for the safety of the operators' profit margins, not the safety of the passengers. There's nothing you can do about it, but I can understand why people don't like it.

On the other hand, people who complain about weather-related changes are jerks, pure and simple (I can think of a lot of other things to call them but I don't think I can print those words here ;) ). Of course these are probably the same people who would be moaning if the ship didn't divert and got caught in rough seas instead. With some people you just can't win! I imagine most of us have missed ports because of bad weather at one time or another and I certainly am not going to second-guess the judgment of the cruise line and the ship's master in keeping passengers, crew and ship safe. (In particular this comes up a lot with tender ports, since tendering isn't safe in really bad weather.)

I have been checking the Orient Lines forum occasionally to see how events are transpiring in reference to getting MPII up and running. It is an interesting read.

Now there seems to be a speed bump for MPII. One poster says the prices are much higher on the "new" ship, he mentions tripled tariffs. Is that true? Does it impact on your thoughts about cruising more or less on MPII? Do you have concrete information about tariffs by now or is that still an open subject?

I have been surprised and pleased to read the posts of the "old" MP crew members who want to return to the atmosphere and passengers of the MP. And Heller's office seems to be responding which is a pleasant change from the "suits" who run the mass markets.

Where do you stand in reference to going on the MPII? Are you still looking at the 40-day itinerary or are you in a "wait and see" mode?

Ruby

Ruby,

I am not comfortable taking the first cruise of any line. It is usually a time to iron out the bumps. I was on the final voyage in March and as my friend who didn't go said, "I don't do funerals". I felt it necessary to say good-bye but there were many bumps.

I have decided instead to take "The Path of the Vikings" a 32 day cruise. It goes up Norway and east to Murmansk, Russia and then to Scotland, Ireland and England. I don't have my prices as yet but they are much higher than they were formerly. It is a different time with fuel prices up and everything else following suit.

Ruby, When someone is rude and obnoxious, I find that ignoring them is my best bet. He called it the Marco Polio which got my dander up. I just turn those people off.

Unfortunately, staff can't wait until April so like Insidevoicemp, they are returning to a job with NCL in order to feed their families. I hope that we will get them back.

It is my thought that the people are not satisfied with low prices on cruises. Although they have accepted the terms of their contracts with the cruise line, they cry when things are not as they expected. They expect compensation thus causing higher prices.

I agree with you. And I've noticed that CCritic has many new "members" who sign on solely to whine about a negative experience which you and I would consider just another safe day at sea. Message boards are being used as heavy weaponry by some members who probably threaten the cruise line's corporate office with "exposure" to their problem on these boards. No doubt there are stories that should be aired in the light of day but, in reading many of the newbie posts, I find their immature complaints quite tiresome. And isn't it interesting that these posters are consistently seeking large remunerations for their apparent discomfort?

Ruby, When someone is rude and obnoxious, I find that ignoring them is my best bet. He called it the Marco Polio which got my dander up. I just turn those people off.

Unfortunately, staff can't wait until April so like Insidevoicemp, they are returning to a job with NCL in order to feed their families. I hope that we will get them back.

Some posters remind me of Ambrose Bierce - nothing can ever be right for them and yet they have a PhD in Sarcasm to flail the perceived slight by a provider. They are perfectly happy to continue to yell on these forums to make us agree with their off-course comments. I shudder to think what abuse these types of posters heap upon their cabin stewards and other hotel staff. You couldn't pay me enough to work the Reception desk on an apartment barge stationed in the Caribbean.

I never ever forget the sacrifices made by hotel staff onboard who work those long hours, take the verbal abuse, face the lies of an upset passenger, and clean up ghastly messes left by individuals with a cavalier attitude toward staff - "let THEM clean it up." Well, "them" do this terribly hard work for their families, for their children, for their spouses who would otherwise exist in abject poverty. What a dichotomy.

I will now step down from my soapbox.

Ruby

I will now step down from my soapbox.

As you step down from your soapbox, I will enter the confessional. I was one of those loud, complaining types. As I mentioned previously, I have residual brain damage as the result of a car accident. I have taken my rehab very seriously and I try very hard not to complain any more. Most of the time I am successful. My question is: do you think that all of those other people have brain damage too? OMG.

Fran

My question is: do you think that all of those other people have brain damage too? OMG. Fran

Over the many years on ships, it has been a rara avis indeed for me to actually witness the professional whiners and complainers. Back in the day of traditional seatings (yesterday), at table I would hear tales of disturbances in the bars or the lonely woman trying to seduce the handsome officer but I always seem to miss out on "the good stuff." And nowadays the complainers seem to singularly focus on shipboard credit or a free cruise with the most feeble of excuses.

I did want to ask about your Antarctica cruise on MP. How far south did MP sail? Did y'all cross the Antarctica Circle? I'm keen to see the Lemaire Channel and hope we make it to Deception Island. A highlight for me would be seeing the South Orkney Islands as I have visited and very much enjoyed the North Orkneys off the coast of Scotland.

Gotta go. Battening down for Hurricane Ike.

Ruby

Gotta go. Battening down for Hurricane Ike.

Please take care and let us know how you are doing when you can. My thoughts will be with you, stay safe.

The MP sailed from Ushuaia across the Drake (either Quake or Lake depending on its behaviour) to the Antarctic Peninsula. We visited Half Moon Island, which was our first landing. Many people did not go as the weather whipped up making it a very bumpy ride back to the ship. Paradise Harbor and Port Lockroy were opportunities to get up close and personal as the penguins can't read the signs. We also cruised the Le Maire Channel in zodiacs.

I would have liked to go to Deception Island and go swimming in the crater but it wasn't on the itinerary when I went in 2005. You may find this blog interesting.

http://antarcticjw.blogspot.com/

Fran

It was the stress of not knowing. When you watch a hurricane develop into a major storm some 800 miles across, a storm which devastated Haiti (again) and wreaked havoc along the entire length of Cuba, it makes for a tense few days.

When my daughter was a newbie student in medical school in San Antonio in 1988, Hurricane Gilbert came ashore spawning tornadoes, one of which wiped out her apartment house. She had been in med school exactly 30 days when we had to move her again. The med student in the 3rd floor apartment above my daughter was in the shower when the roof lifted off. So not only was he slightly injured but he was also in his birthday suit (can we say "naked" on Cruise Critic?).

The best news was that my daughter was in Irving with me when the disaster struck. When she walked in my house after a day of shopping, the first thing I did was hug her tight, then showed her the tapes of news coverage for her apartment complex.

Hurricanes rarely affect the DFW area but, in growing up in Fort Worth and accepting that we live in Tornado Alley, there are always surprises with major storms. I definitely keep a weather eye out in circumstances like this one. Somehow I'm more comfortable on Saga Rose in a hurricane than at home worrying about friends, family, and property loss.

Ruby

Hiya Ruby

Glad you are safe and sound.

Having gone through several typhoons while in the Army, on Okinawa, I can really appreciate (and fearfully respect) the power of those storms.

Hurricanes, cyclones, typhoons all the same thing, different regional names.

Virginia and I did "hit the back end" of a typhoon, Nov 86, in the China Sea, whilst aboard the little Golden Odyssey, a 10,000 tonner. We had green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, and the inclinometer was pegged several times. Thrilling (and scary!!). Virginia did think we were going to capsize.

It very much reminded me of the typhoon scene in that great Humphrey Bogart/Fred MacMurray/Van Johnson flick, The Caine Mutiny.

In those same waters, but closer to Okinawa, Halsey's Fleet lost three destroyers (or DDEs) to capsizing, late in WW2. He is lucky he kept command of the fleet!

Hi Ruby! I'm also glad to hear that all was well with you during Hurricane Ike. Every morning and evening on Mercury, I watched CNN News on the TV in my cabin as I dressed.

By the way, I had a great time despite the cloudiness and intermittent rain in Alaska. My favourite moment was when I had a photograph taken with all my table waiters who had served me on Mercury over the past two years and who were still aboard. Their exemplary service and courtesy to me are among the reasons why I am a repeat Celebrity customer, especially on Mercury. This was taken on a Smart Casual night, which is why I appear to be way underdressed compared with their splendid uniforms. :o

Donald.

134950377_xx2008_0911waiters.jpg.e54ebb98fea87ce935b7d2879d3bfac7.jpg

Virginia and I did "hit the back end" of a typhoon, Nov 86, in the China Sea, whilst aboard the little Golden Odyssey, a 10,000 tonner. We had green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, and the inclinometer was pegged several times.

Michael, what does the ship feel like when the screws are out of the water? I don't think I've ever done that one. I was expecting it on Saga Rose but while she did an impressive physics demonstration of pitch, roll, and yaw many times on that cruise, I don't think we had the screws out of the water. Does that scenario feel like a dog shaking water out of its coat?

My favourite moment was when I had a photograph taken with all my table waiters who had served me on Mercury over the past two years and who were still aboard. Donald.

How nice that you were able to memorialize past cruises with a waitstaff photo. In the area of service, is Mercury your best experience on a consistent basis? How do you decide which "dam" ship, or X, or RCI to book?

Ruby

Hard to describe the feeling of "screws out of the water". It seemed more intense than "a dog shaking water out of its coat", although that is a pretty good analogy.

A whole lot of shaking & vibration, accompanied by groaning of the hull, and a gut feeling that all the rivets will pop, and welded joints will separate.

Then there is the big jolt when the screws go back into the water, and "get a bite".

Again, one of those things that is difficult to describe - you have to be there and experience it. The ship is rolling a great deal, pitching with the bow slapping down, all in all like a bad carnival ride.

Michael, what does the ship feel like when the screws are out of the water? I don't think I've ever done that one.

I mentioned that kind of experience on Victoria, in post #120 from May 17 last year. It's copied and pasted here:

One evening we encountered rough weather. The Victoria tossed and turned. I never get seasick, and made my way down the tilting corridors to the dining room. Less than half of the passengers (and probably only 1/4) sat down to dinner. There were only four at my table of eight. The waiters stumbled around with their trays. During dinner, the Victoria climbed an enormous wave. We clutched at the edges of our tables. Up and up we went ... then the ship balanced on the crest of the wave, with the propellers spinning in mid-air and rattling the vessel. Down we went into the trough, and when the propellers finally splashed into water, there was an enormous thump, with the whole ship shaking. All of us in the dining room looked at each other wide-eyed in a "Wow!"

Michael has also described the effects aptly.

Donald.

In the area of service, is Mercury your best experience on a consistent basis? How do you decide which "dam" ship, or X, or RCI to book?

As many of the Mercury staff are familiar with me, and I am always cordial with them, I consistently have enjoyed excellent service on that ship. For example, last week, my cabin steward had served my cabin on my January 2007 cruise, and his attendant served my cabin on Galaxy earlier this year. It is nice to see familiar faces and feel "at home" among them.

I usually choose my cruises on the basis of itineraries, but now and then I take advantage of special offers which my travel agent finds for me. If it's on a "dam" ship or RCI, I have no problem as long as it is not on an apartment barge.

Donald.

Ruby, I am happy that you are safe from the hurricane.

Hi, I never know what is happening when the seas are rocking and rolling as I am in my cabin "praying to the porcelain g-d" . I spend the entire time there or watching the doors and drawers of my cupboards open and close. Seasickness is a fact of my life as I have always had motion sickness since I was a small child. Does this stop me? NO, thanks to Bonamine I have a good trip other than the one or two days. I hope that I am not tempting fate to go to Norway and over the Cape to Murmansk in August.

For example, last week, my cabin steward had served my cabin on my January 2007 cruise, and his attendant served my cabin on Galaxy earlier this year. It is nice to see familiar faces and feel "at home" among them.

Donald, I fully understand as this was not the exception but the rule on the MP. I had one cabin steward for the last three cruises. I was welcomed with open arms. I hope that many of the former MP staff will come to the MPII.

Fran