Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Doug was correct.

The new ship for Orient Lines is the Maxim Gorkiy. It will be named Marco Polo II. While google-ing I found the way into the Orient Lines sight which is under construction now. The itineraries from April 15,2009 until December 12,2009 have been listed and look very good.

Needless to say I am overjoyed.

Fran

The new ship for Orient Lines is the Maxim Gorkiy. It will be named Marco Polo II.

Needless to say I am overjoyed.

Fran, that's really marvelous! I'm glad to hear that Maxim Gorkiy will still be around for a bit longer. I suppose that she will be concentrated on European itineraries. So, have you already selected your cruises on her?

Donald.

So, have you already selected your cruises on her?

I am still working on it. I found the itinerary through the same website entrance. I must digest where these ports are and what sites I wish to see. My friends who are avid Orient Lines fans too are looking at some and we would sign up for 2 cruises but the dates are not good for us.

Orient Lines website is not complete and I read that their phone and computer systems will be installed this week. I know that I am rushing it a bit but my enthusiasm takes over.

Fran

Orient Lines website is not complete and I read that their phone and computer systems will be installed this week. I know that I am rushing it a bit but my enthusiasm takes over.

There's nothing wrong with hitting the ground running. You're off to a good start.

Donald.

About the Russians invading Georgia and South Ossetia - do you think Mother Russia will continue to expand her authority over other "weaker" countries which managed to secede from her Union some years ago? You have cruised to exotic locales all your life, you have a background in law enforcement, and I would be interested to hear your impromptu thoughts.

Putin, ex-chief of the KGB, has shown that he will not hesitate to eliminate with extreme prejudice any local opposition to his power and control. Journalists have been murdered, an assasination with polonium in London, now the invasion with Soviet, excuse me, Russian tanks into the country of Georgia.

I will be in Sevastopol, Ukraine next June, I hope. Give or take active on-the-ground fighting, I want to visit there for that one day. My concern is that cruise lines which cater to easily-concerned Americans will cancel the port.

What do you think? And what do our other readers think?

Ruby

I was having the same worries about my trip in 2 weeks time. I phoned P&O and at the moment we will still be calling in Sochi, which is right on the borders with Georgia, as well at Yalta & Odessa. I have booked a trip to Sevastapol and Balaklava too. We'll just have to see what happens nearer the time.

What's with this rumour that Oriana may be heading south? Together with Aurora she is the most popular in P&O's current fleet. I certainly hope she stays in our waters. I suppose they will want to replace her with a floating apartment barge like Ventura - ghastly ship!!

I agree that the new Oriana resembles Canberra to a great degree.

Has anyone seen the new pictures of Solstice over on the Celebrity board? There is no promenade deck for passengers. Her lifeboats sit smack along the sides of that deck. This clearly is an attempt to imprison passengers inside the ship's interiors where they will spend, spend and spend. Me book on her? Hah!

Donald.

I noticed that and also that there does not appear to be much deck space at all considering the number of passenger she will take.

I was having the same worries about my trip in 2 weeks time. I phoned P&O and at the moment we will still be calling in Sochi, which is right on the borders with Georgia, as well at Yalta & Odessa. I have booked a trip to Sevastapol and Balaklava too. We'll just have to see what happens nearer the time.

No one on my Roll Call group for Prinsendam next May is talking about canceling out of the trip. Personally I am confident that HAL keeps closely informed about local activities in that region and will make the appropriate decisions for our cruise. I am quite excited about visiting our 5 ports in the Black Sea.

Gosh, ships cat, are you leaving in 2 weeks? How time does fly! Are you going to be able to "make the weight" with the new luggage requirements? I will no longer be carrying two different sets of clothes on cruises, one for daywear and one for evening wear.

Ruby

I will no longer be carrying two different sets of clothes on cruises, one for daywear and one for evening wear.

How will you manage that - what exactly would you bring to wear?

I'm pleased that as of August 1 Celebrity eliminated the "informal" dress code - now I needn't bring a dinner jacket for just two evenings. That will help to cut down on my luggage weight. Two dress codes - "formal" and "smart casual" - are sufficient.

Donald.

I'm told that Holland America also recently went to smart casual and formal, eliminating the semi-formal or informal.

Princess went that way some time ago.

Although in many ways I am a traditionalist, I did enjoy packing for our three trips on Oceania - smart casual every night. Greatly simplifies packing.

Although in many ways I am a traditionalist, I did enjoy packing for our three trips on Oceania - smart casual every night. Greatly simplifies packing.

If you want to see good looking, appropriate attire at any time of day or night onboard any ship, watch Michael. He is exquisitely dressed with a subtle fashion sense that is admirable. Or his wife, Virginia, picks out his clothes!

Ruby

Fortunately Ruby I do not have to "make the weight" and can take as much luggage as I like since I will be sailing from and returning to Southampton. What will fit in my car is a bigger problem:) I have 7 formal and 6 informal with the rest smart casual, so am busy trying to mix and match as much as possible as I think I will soon run out of suitcase space before any day clothes at all!

Fortunately Ruby I do not have to "make the weight" and can take as much luggage as I like since I will be sailing from and returning to Southampton. What will fit in my car is a bigger problem:) I have 7 formal and 6 informal with the rest smart casual, so am busy trying to mix and match as much as possible as I think I will soon run out of suitcase space before any day clothes at all!

[heavy sigh] Again, I am so envious of those of you who live near ports! About your formal and informal plus daywear - some readers may remember that last August I packed only 3 blouses and 2 pairs of trousers for Greenland and Iceland on Saga Rose. It was a humbling experience of wearing the same clothes over and over. Next year, when I follow in your bow waves to the Black Sea, I hope I get it right!

When do y'all sailaway from Istanbul - what time? I'm so hopeful that you can catch a glimpse of that mini-lighthouse at Sumahan on the Water but, if it's an evening departure, that will put "end it" to that possibility.

Ruby

You exagerate again. I wear Dockers style trousers (actually they are Wranglers, and are called Dress Jeans, but they are not denim), and collared dress shirts.

I don't believe Virginia has ever bought me any article of clothing, other than my favorite Pendleton bathrobe. I go to the store, directly to the rack I want, grab, pay, and leave. I hate shopping.

But thanks for the kind words!

It is my belief that it is not the cruise lines that make the decision whether or not to go to a questionable area. `As all ships must carry insurance, it is the insurance companies that decide if they think that safety is an issue due to political factors. Lloyds of London will decide if you go. If it is OK for them, the ship will go.

This makes it easier for me. Today I heard that Russia and Georgia have signed a peace agreement. Happy sailing.

Fran

I don't believe Virginia has ever bought me any article of clothing, other than my favorite Pendleton bathrobe. I go to the store, directly to the rack I want, grab, pay, and leave. I hate shopping. But thanks for the kind words!

I know a good style when I see one and you have it, Michael. I used to like looking at your nice leather shoes. I never saw you in sports shoes altho' I assume you wear them. If your "nice" shoes are pleather, they are really good ones!

As all ships must carry insurance, it is the insurance companies that decide if they think that safety is an issue due to political factors. Lloyds of London will decide if you go. If it is OK for them, the ship will go. Fran

Excellent point, Fran. I'm sure you are correct. Now, if we can just keep the peace in that part of the world for awhile so ships cat can enjoy her upcoming cruise and takes lots of her fine pix to bring back and show us, it'll be wunderbar.

Ruby

I go to the store, directly to the rack I want, grab, pay, and leave. I hate shopping.

Michael, that's also exactly what I do. If I don't find what I want, I go home and hit another store the next day. I don't flit from store to store.

Lately I've had to start checking clothes labels to find those which are wrinkle-free or require minimal ironing. Shirts doesn't look nice if they show wrinkles from being folded and packed in suitcases. I've heard that rolling shirts before packing eliminates wrinkles, but I've never figured out how to do that (and they still come out wrinkled).

Donald.

Now, if we can just keep the peace in that part of the world for awhile so ships cat can enjoy her upcoming cruise and takes lots of her fine pix to bring back and show us, it'll be wunderbar.

What is it with these people fighting all over the world. Don't they know that we want to visit with them?

I am having a grand time looking through the itineraries for the Marco Polo II. Decisions, decisions, so many to make. If I could I would be on for about 6 months.

Fran

SagaRuby

Yes, my shoes are leather "uppers", with the rest of the shoe being manmade. I do have what we used to call sneakers (and some Brits call trainers) for wear to the gym, etc, but normally don't bring them on cruises (they take up a lot of room!)

Donald

I have my dress shirts on hangars (from the laundry), and leave the plastic wrap on. Put them into the suitcase that way, with only one fold, and then hang them up on the ship. No need to iron them again, usually. My only attempt at rolling shirts did not work, and was particularly hard on the collars.

I sail at 6pm Ruby. We arrive at 6pm the day before so have a whole evening and most of a day here. Perhaps I'd better make room for a tin hat and flak jacket too!

Donald - have you tried hanging shirts in bathroom and running a very hot shower. The steam often takes out any wrinkles from packing.

I am still wondering what clothes to pack for the temperatures. At the moment some of the ports seem to be in the 90s, but I guess evenings could be cool. Why do I never choose to go to countries with reliably hot climates? For Greenland I took four cases, well one large, one medium, a holdall and hand luggage. How on earth did you manage with so little Ruby? I guess I'm just one of those who takes everything but the kitchen sink "just in case". Of course, flying would limit me.

has it been made offical yet? marco polo2? i am on the MAXIM GORKY next month with a lot of germans and a small group of english. the excursions will be a bit difficult as they atre akll going to be in german? but looking forward on her before she is the marco polo 2. i will try to get on her when she goes to orient lines as never did get on marcopolo!

dave

Reference the new Marco Polo II - while I agree that it is a nice looking ship, I do hope they change the funnel configuration. I think the current funnel detracts from the ship's appearance.

I've long wondered about the company name, Orient Lines.

I'm surprised that P&O (UK) has not gone after them for that. P&O absorbed an English company, Orient Lines, with a rich history of serving the Antipodes.

The first time I sailed Oriana, in 1964, Orient Lines had just merged with P&O, and Oriana still had Orient Lines' cornyellow hull, while flying the P&O flag.

Yes Dave, Maxim Gorkiy will be the new Marco Polo II. I am looking forward to meet her when she flies the Orient Lines flag. Fran

Fran, I've been reading the Orient Lines forum and am so happy for you that your phoenix will rise from the ashes in a slightly different form. In reading the crew posts about wanting to return to service on the new II, and seeing all the dedicated cruisers such as yourself, it is truly inspiring. I hope Thomas Wolfe was wrong and that you can come home again.

Reference the new Marco Polo II - while I agree that it is a nice looking ship, I do hope they change the funnel configuration. I think the current funnel detracts from the ship's appearance.

The gossip about a new Saga ship was raging on Saga Rose last August while I was onboard. It was rumoured that Saga Holidays wanted a newbuild in the same configuration as the Saga Sisters, but the shipyard and maritime architect said it would be fantastically expensive to put a funnel midships due to structural reinforcements to that part of the ship. Evidently it is much cheapers to perch funnels toward the stern rather than midships.

Ruby