Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Cruise News Daily is reporting that Clipper Pacific will be undergoing further repairs in Tampa, FL. No time estimate given - but of course that might impact its arrival in Vancouver.

Hmmmm. I wonder what the marine version of paramedics might be. A pilot boat trailing along after Clipper Pacific to stand by in case of need?

This poor ship, limping her way around the vast American coastline, stopping for aquatic medical assistance along the way. I wonder if she will be shedding passengers in ports like an ancient rabbit fur coat?

Ruby

No time estimate given - but of course that might impact its arrival in Vancouver.

I will check the online Vancouver Port schedule. It's possible that I might miss the ship (so to speak) because a friend is flying in from Toronto and we will go to Whistler for a few days.

Donald.

On the apartment barges, are bingo games still offered? Do they still have a "snowball?" I'm not a bingo afficionado so have no clue if the games are still popular onboard any ship, including my own.

Back in the day, a fellow passenger and I did the math for one cruise and the cruise line's share on a given itinerary then extrapolated the numbers to arrive at a rough annual profit for the cruise line. The sums were quite impressive - no wonder the games were promoted with such vigour onboard.

There were always bad feelings on the last day of the snowball as most of the passengers showed up to partake in a pot worth some $6,000. The daily players felt that the single-day players were taking their money built up over the length of the cruise and I agreed with them. I went only to observe.

Is bingo still such a Big Deal onboard ships?

Ruby

Is bingo still such a Big Deal onboard ships?

Yes, on Holland America, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. I don't know about the other cruise lines. I participated just once, when I cruised with a friend on Oosterdam in November 2006. We both shouted "Bingo!" at the same time, and my friend gave me a quick look of displeasure at not having won the pot all by himself. So it was with mixed feelings that I accepted my share of the prize. I never played bingo again.

On last April's Ryndam, I met a guy from San Francisco who always played shipboard bingo, and he always wore his "lucky" blue shirt each time. He won a free cruise this time. He told me that he has always won something at bingo on each Holland America cruise that he has been on, including $600 cash.

On Mercury earlier this month, I attended the naturalist's three lectures, and each time his lectures were brought to abrupt halts when the Cruise Director clicked on the overhead lights in preparation to set up bingo in the theatre. Obviously bingo was much more lucrative to Celebrity than these interesting lectures.

Donald.

Nice picture CONTE!!! WOW!!! The Ile de France Suite was very nice...for its day...or any day...LOL. The cabin I had onboard the FRANCE was more like the one you saw in the Marx Brothers movie...where they crammed all those people into that tiny cabin...LOL.

Ross

Hi, Ruby -

One of the British participants on the Mercury's roll call for next September told me about her boyfriend who will be accompanying her (she mentioned that he had worked the Alaska route on RVL):

He will have been on Royal Viking from mid to late 80's then he went to Crystal from the beginning on the Harmony ... His name is Shaun Herbert and he will probably have been a bar manager with RVL.

As he was a bar manager, you likely won't know him?

Donald.

He will have been on Royal Viking from mid to late 80's then he went to Crystal from the beginning on the Harmony ... His name is Shaun Herbert and he will probably have been a bar manager with RVL. As he was a bar manager, you likely won't know him? Donald.

I never know the wine stewards or the bar staff. My world onboard any ship is about cabin attendants and waiters. I do remember that many of the RVL hotel staff were quietly chatting about a new cruise line, Crystal, and their beautiful new ships. Was Crystal started as a Japanese-funded cruise line?

One of the RVL cabin attendants had worked briefly on Crystal and she talked quite vividly about the beauty of the hotel details such as fine china and, uh, crystal, and the exquisite attention to detail and service onboard.

On RVL, I was so content that it didn't occur to me to try Crystal then, when RVL pulled up the gangway for the last time, it broke my heart and I turned to land travel for much of the 90s. To me, there was no other cruise line that could make me so happy. I have since learned otherwise.

Ruby

Crystal Cruises is indeed Japanese owned. NYK Shipping is one of the largest shipping companies in the world.

Crystal's first ship, Crystal Harmony, was built in Nagasaki by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, and is currently sailing as Asuka II for NYK.

Mitsubishi also built two behemoths for Princess, the Diamond Princess and Sapphire

Princess.

Virginia and I sailed twice on Crystal Harmony, a lovely ship. We did think Crystal somewhat overpriced, and did not care for the attitude of some of their mid-management types.

Virginia and I sailed twice on Crystal Harmony, a lovely ship. We did think Crystal somewhat overpriced, and did not care for the attitude of some of their mid-management types.

Michael, could you please give us some details on your comment about middle management on Crystal? I have heard that exact same comment from several people, enough to keep me from booking on Crystal back in the day.

Are you recalling upper hotel staff not responding to problems, are the dining room headwaiters rude, the booking process is offputting?

Ruby

On our first Crystal cruise, 10-92, we caught the Concierge in a flat-out lie regarding some lost luggage. When he was proven wrong, he then attempted to make amends in a most obsequious manner, which I found very "off-putting". A simple acknowledgement of fault and an apology would have sufficed.

Our second Crystal cruise, 12-93, we found the Maitre 'D to be a pompous rude type.

We also found some of the passengers, perhaps "noveau riche", to be somewhat snobbish.

Our experiences, coupled with Crystal's higher fare, has kept us from giving them another try.

Our experiences, coupled with Crystal's higher fare, has kept us from giving them another try.

Everything you experienced with Crystal in the early years is exactly what I was hearing thru the grapevine onboard ships. Which is why I veered away from that line after RVL closed and never tried a Crystal experience.

I wonder if Crystal has come around to being a better competitor rather than enjoying a faux snobbery? But, after our mutual cruise on Oceania, I was happy to find a maritime home on a "modern" cruise line.

Ruby

I've never considered a Crystal cruise simply because the solo passenger supplement would have been prohibitive. Now, after what I've learned from Ruby and Michael, that cruise line definitely is on my do-not list.

Donald.

It is only the luxury line where one finds snobbery. Believe it or not my DH and I were snubbed by the Maitre d' on Epirotiki Lines quite a number of years ago. Fortunately I had the last laugh.

I don't do well with people who believe, for whatever reason, that they are better than anyone else. I believe that kindness and sensitivity are more important than your bank balance.

Fran

I don't do well with people who believe, for whatever reason, that they are better than anyone else. I believe that kindness and sensitivity are more important than your bank balance.

Fran

Definitely!!! I am close friends with a couple in Los Angeles who have considerably more money than I have. Last November I enjoyed visiting with them for three days in their Palm Springs residence, and I will be staying with them at their Los Angeles residence for three days next October prior to us going on the Vision of the Seas to Mexico (they had urged that I join them on that cruise). While they and I do not possess the same kind of bank balances, we truly appreciate each other for what we contribute to each others' enjoyment through our friendships. That is the most important thing.

Donald.

It is only the luxury line where one finds snobbery. Believe it or not my DH and I were snubbed by the Maitre d' on Epirotiki Lines quite a number of years ago. Fortunately I had the last laugh.

Fran

Oh, Fran, you had the last laugh on the Maitre d' on Epirotiki? Do tell!

About snobs - who could be more boring than those who count by numbers instead of by quality? The instant I sense faux values in a person, I spin on my heel and march briskly in the other direction. Let the Ken and Barbie dolls compete by beauty and by bankbook. I want to talk to interesting people.

Ruby

Oh, Fran, you had the last laugh on the Maitre d' on Epirotiki? Do tell!

I was on the MTS Oceanos, the ship that later went down off the coast of South Africa and the captain and first mate left before the passengers, and for a couple of meals I had noticed that the maitre d' seemed condescending. Paying him no mind we came to the Dining Room for lunch to find someone else seating us. We were seated with 2 couples from Greece who owned an insurance agency. They brought with them the 25 top salespersons and their families. This was obviously a very good customer for Epirotiki.

When the maitre d' returned an saw us sitting with these people he was livid with the person who seated us. In the meantime the conversation (in english) talked about an Italian spa they had just been too. I too had been there while visiting my friend in Italy. They were delighted that I knew Abano.

The next day they asked the maitre d' to seat them with us. Touche!

Fran

The next day they asked the maitre d' to seat them with us. Touche!

Fran, I loved this story! The maitre d' literally had egg on his face.

That maitre d' was probably the third to leave the sinking ship!

Donald.

Fortunately, the entertainment staff helped all of the passengers leave the ship and no lives were lost. The captain was never permitted to sail again.

I know there was a movie made of the sinking and there are some interesting websites regarding the incident. This and today's news of two ships crashing in port of Pireus as well as

Greek news Web site Kathimerini has said that this collision was the fourth in the Aegean within a month -- the site reported that a number of Greek ferries have been involved in incidents where they have struck reefs, rocks or hit a moored vessel.

makes me hesitant to board a Greek ship.

Fran

I remember seeing on the TV news the Oceanos sinking with her stern up above the water. Air which was being forced out from inside the ship tossed aside the lounge chairs tumbling down the open aft decks. Water poured in a cascade out of the swimming pool. A big hiss and sigh, and then she was gone. I didn't know that there was a movie made of the sinking. Was it a documentary, or a feature film?

Donald.

Was it a documentary, or a feature film?

It was most probably a documentary as I remember seeing it on TV and being both sad and angry. I particularly remember standing on the forward deck watching sunrise over Santorini as we approached the caldera.

I remember the captain being somewhat sleazy. A co-worker of mine of Macedonian origin and her Greek husband dined with the captain the year previous . Her opinion equaled mine. When the incident occurred, we were not surprised by his unpardonable behaviour.

Fran

Fortunately, the entertainment staff helped all of the passengers leave the ship and no lives were lost. The captain was never permitted to sail again.

I know there was a movie made of the sinking and there are some interesting websites regarding the incident. This and today's news of two ships crashing in port of Pireus as well as makes me hesitant to board a Greek ship. Fran

I watched that documentary on TV a year or two ago. The passenger list of the Oceanos was made up of South Africans who were amazingly calm when it became obvious that the ship was sinking. One of the passengers took the time to film grainy but visible footage from inside the ship of the damage to the hull and the water pouring in.

And yes, the entertainers were the heroes of that sinking. One applauds their organizing the passengers for abandoning ship and their dedication to seeing that everyone made it off safely. Especially since that documentary paid much attention to the cowardice of the Greek bridge staff which did indeed push off in a lifeboat with sole concern for their own safety. It is a shocking documentary to watch because of the dastardly actions of that crew.

As a young teenager, my family sailed on Yarmouth Castle out of Miami to the Bahamas. Some years later, it burned to the waterline with some loss of life as I remember. But the most shocking fact was that the first lifeboat to arrive at the rescue ship was the Captain and his bridge staff. The Captain of the rescue ship refused to allow the YC's Captain to board and told him to go back to his ship and do his duty.

Ruby

Why wait? YouTube has a clip from the show which can be seen
. It's quite astonishing and a scene I hope -never to see in real life.

WOW! I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for the link to it. The passengers were composed, and calmly awaited efforts by the entertainment staff for their rescue. It would have been quite the experience to have been winched aloft to the helicopter.

Donald.

Watching that brief clip brought back the horror of the Oceanos sinking and outrage at the cowardly Bridge staff. Peter Boyd-Smith and I agreed that we do not sail on Greek ships, but I noticed that my Antarctica ship, Corinthian II, is owned by two Greek-Americans. In watching this clip and remembering my aversion to Greek Bridge crew on cruise lines, I think I'll call my booking agent.

Peter also related an interesting note about those cork-filled life jackets used in days of yore, like Titanic. He said that many people broke their necks jumping into the sea when the cork jacket, with its solid blocks of cork sewn into the vest, slammed up behind the heads of the fleeing passengers.

Ruby

Ruby, Celebrity bridge crews are mostly Greek, and I have every confidence that they won't be the first to abandon ship in an emergency. I'm sure that the bridge crew on Corinthian II will be a safety-conscious group, especially in the icy waters of the Antarctica. At least first review the post-cruise reports of those who've sailed on her (or isn't she already in service?).

Ah, that's why during the shipboard safety drills we are instructed to bow our heads and hold on to the front tops of our lifejackets before jumping into the sea, if necessary during an emergency. That way, there'll be less chance of necks breaking.

Reading the post about the Prinsendam fire made me decide that from now on I will have clothes set out on a chair nightly, plus documents and other valuables on the desk, ready to grab during an emergency.

Donald.