Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Ruby, the "other two" are the former Galaxy and Mercury. Century is a few years older - entered service in 1995 - but did not show her age when I sailed on her this year. Celebrity still has Century on its 2012 schedule, so maybe she will be sent to Germany sometime in 2013.

Donald.

A belated Bon Voyage to you. When you return, can you remind us of your itinerary? I assume that eventually the ship docks in Sydney.

New Zealand is ranked Number 1 in lowest municipal corruption in the world - so admirable. And this country should also be ranked at the top of beautiful geographic wonders.

Century is going out of service - which "other two" will she be joining? Do all cruise lines dump their ships when they are a few years old nowadays? It seems quite harsh in a corporate sense but the numbers evidently support this trend.

Ruby

Yes, ship docks in Sydney on Christmas Eve. Visits Melbourne in Australia, as well as NZ ports and the 3 Sounds. Rainy weather forecast for the next few days, so hope weather improves so I can try out my first balcony. There was no-one on their balconies this morning, when I took a small ferry across to Downtown to check out the ship.

I heard from someone currently cruising on the ship that they would be selling Century, however I will ask when, when I'm on board.

(Oops Donald, sorry about the lapse of wrong name.)

I j

I have a small collection of Christmas cards sent by various lines over the last 50 years. Well, actually it it's very small, maybe three cards or so which I saved but I thought they were worth sharing at this time of the year.

The first is my favorite, a unique picture of Leonardo Da Vinci sailing from New York with a Christmas tree lashed to the top of her mast. I may have posted this a few years ago but I think that picture disappeared into cyberspace.

LDVXmasCard.jpg

The next show Michelangelo and Raffaello in the port of Genoa lit up like what else, Christmas trees! The interior of the card is also rather festive, so I include that as well:

MikeAndRalphXmasCard2001.jpg

MikeandRalphXmascard001.jpg

The last two are more recent cards from Silversea. The last one is for Ruby...I know she loves polar bears!

SilverSeaXmas.jpg

SilverSea001.jpg

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY CRUISING IN THE NEW YEAR!

I'm just back. I had a fabulous time, met great people, had wonderful table and saw superb places - what more can one want from a cruise? Although - the last two days in force 10-11 storms wasn't so much fun! I'll post a review and pictures in due course - just have the small matter of Christmas shopping, food restocking, laundry .........

The first is my favorite, a unique picture of Leonardo Da Vinci sailing from New York with a Christmas tree lashed to the top of her mast. I may have posted this a few years ago but I think that picture disappeared into cyberspace.

Conte, I vaguely recall the Leonardo Da Vinci Christmas card, but I thank you very much for re-publishing it here, as I really like it. Positing a Christmas tree on the top of the mast is a really cute gimmick. I also like the picture of the two liners brilliantly aglow in port. You're lucky, as I've never received a Christmas card from a cruise line.

I'm just back. I had a fabulous time, met great people, had wonderful table and saw superb places - what more can one want from a cruise? Although - the last two days in force 10-11 storms wasn't so much fun! I'll post a review and pictures in due course - just have the small matter of Christmas shopping, food restocking, laundry .........

Welcome back, Sharon! I'm envious that you had two days in force 10-11 storms, as I really like the seas really rough. I want to feel that I am actually aboard a ship, not a floating mall barge. :D

To all, have a really great Christmas season!

Donald.

I'm certainly not adverse to feeling I am on a ship - it was just that by the second day I was slightly fed up with it, especially trying to pack with one hand while holding onto something with the other! All part of the fun of cruising though.

The last two are more recent cards from Silversea. The last one is for Ruby...I know she loves polar bears!

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY CRUISING IN THE NEW YEAR!

I enjoyed the ocean liner cards - are they photos or artwork? And, of course, my favourite is the Silversea/polar bears cards!

I'm certainly not averse to feeling I am on a ship - it was just that by the second day I was slightly fed up with it, especially trying to pack with one hand while holding onto something with the other! All part of the fun of cruising though.

I hear ya. On Saga Rose to Greenland and Iceland, out of 18 days, we had 12-13 days of holding onto hand rails in corridors and my desk-top daily being swept clean of its items. Quite the bore to keep putting things back on the desk; I finally just left them on the other twin bed. And I learned that being off-balance for so long made my muscles ache from trying to remain upright. As Sharon says, it gets old fast.

I join Conte in wishing everyone a Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year. Emphasis on the "prosperous." All the best to our dedicated correspondents and all you lurkers out there!

Ruby

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to everyone (full of cruises).

Some memories of recent hot and sunny climes here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114801993219771801790/OceanaToTheHolyLand2011#

Edited by Host Sharon

hi everyone well 2011 has been a good year cruise wise for me.

VISION OF THE SEAS

ALASKA(lovely old boat along thames)

BOUDICCA (BALTIC)

RADIANCE OF THE SEAS(2 nt out of SYDNEY)

back to reliality in uk now hope xmas day is going to warmer as i have to cycle to work and onto another site and home on 26th as lt strike. i wopuldb love to do a cruise at this time. a friend is currently on SAGA ROSE she gets on on jan 6th.

2 saga ships in soton on that day i will go there sadly they seem to be leaving at different times.

2012 i am not sure as not getting a lot of work, hopefully things will improve in the new year. i booked on MSC MELODY in feb sadlty had to transfer to DIVINA on her 1st cruise from marseille on may 27th.

all the best

dave

. . . wopuldb love to do a cruise at this time. a friend is currently on SAGA ROSE she gets on on jan 6th. all the best dave

Dave - Saga Rose went out of service to the breakers long ago. Which Saga ship will your friend be sailing on the 6th? Also, I am intrigued that you did the 2-night cruise out of Melbourne. Where else did you visit in Oz?

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to everyone (full of cruises). Some memories of recent hot and sunny climes here.

Sharon - I enjoyed your photos from your recent cruise. Were you able to find out why the border shifted resulting in Jerusalem being split into two different municipalities, East and West? Also, do you have any information about Adonia being pulled out of a cruise for "essential maintenance work?" To cancel an entire cruise is quite a decision to make; which "essential" was it?

Ruby

Ruby - there was so much to take in in such a short time, I confess I didn't find your answer but this link may help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_territories. The situation seems to have fluctuated so much and so often I'm surprised they know where the borders are.

Iam retrospectively posting daily reports here for anyone interested.

http://sharonp-shipsinmylife.blogspot.com/

It was the most amazing country and I would love to return. It is only now, going through the photos and guides I brought back, that am beginning to undersatnd where I have been and what I saw.

And a picture for Donald...

2082.JPG

and one of my favourites from the whole cruise. For me it illustrates pefectly the contrasts between ancient and modern in Israel.

0791.jpg

Edited by Host Sharon

Sharon, I love the picture of the heavy seas. :)

Today Vancouver broke the high temperature record for December 28 with 11.6C (52.9F to our American friends). The previous record was 11.3C (52.3F) in 1980. It is due to the "Pineapple Express" weather system blown north-east from Hawaii. However, the sky has been overcast and mostly damp for the past five or six days.

Cathy is on vacation this week, so I did not have to walk her dog in soggy conditions. :D

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

On Tuesday, December 27th, my 48 yr.-old niece died of malignant melanoma after a year-long struggle. She leaves behind 4 excellent teenagers and a loving husband. As you can imagine, for the past month I have thought of little else, particularly that my sister had two daughters and now has no children. I will be a bit quiet for awhile but I do enjoy reading your notes about matters maritime and personal in this difficult time.

Ruby

On Tuesday, December 27th, my 48 yr.-old niece died of malignant melanoma after a year-long struggle. She leaves behind 4 excellent teenagers and a loving husband. As you can imagine, for the past month I have thought of little else, particularly that my sister had two daughters and now has no children. I will be a bit quiet for awhile but I do enjoy reading your notes about matters maritime and personal in this difficult time.

Ruby

Oh, dear! So sorry to hear about your niece. You aren't the only one in this thread undergoing bereavement ... my partner David's 86-year-old mother passed away this morning in Windsor, Ontario. It was not unexpected, as she had three strokes this year and had a heart attack three weeks ago. David had to cancel a office Christmas party at our home two weeks ago because of the uncertainty about his mother's health status. He is flying to Windsor tomorrow and the funeral will be on Monday.

This Saturday is my birthday, so I will miss having David around. His friend Cathy, whose dog I walk, and her friend Ed (whom I have never met) will go ahead with the arrangement to take me out for dinner on New Year's Eve. Life goes on. David knows that his mother has gone to a better place. So did your niece, Ruby. Please take comfort in that.

Hugs,

Donald.

My condolences to you both Ruby and Donald. It is always hard to lose someone you love and never more so that at this time of year. I hope in time Ruby that your sister will come to treasure the happy times with her daughter and know that she is now at peace after her long battle.

I too would like to extend my sympathies to Ruby and her sister as well as to Donald and David for their losses. The contrast in ages between those who have passed away is a stark reminder that our lives are so unpredictable and should not in the least to be taken for granted.

We never get over the loss of people who have been so important to us. As we get older we are reminded of this much too frequently. The gaping hole that their departure leaves us has a very sharp and painful edge. Over time the edge becomes softer, but the hole is always there. After awhile we are able to have pleasant visits with them through our memories.

All best wishes to each of you for a safe and prosperous New Year. The clean slate of a new year looks all shiny and new as this thread passes over the 175,000 Views mark.

What cruise plans do you have for this year of 2012? What exciting voyage are you looking at?

Ruby

Me - trying out P&O's small ship Adonia for some Western med ports I haven't sailed to before - such as Port Mahon, Sete and Portofino in May (sharing with a friend I haven't shared with before either!) and in September sailing to the Carribean round trip from the UK on the beautiful Oriana (now adult only).

should have been SAGA RUBY (of course) she gets back on friday. i heard about SAGA| SAPPHIRE doing 3 overnights in soton in march nothing on the website and called them they have all sold out!!! i flew to sydney a week in melbourne and a week on sydney plus the cruise to nowhere.

dave

Host Sharon - I'm reading reports of incredible weather extremes in the UK and western Europe. At one point, I read a report of 100mph winds and there seems to be a drought of snow in ski resorts on the continent. What's going on over there? I hope all is well in your part of the world.

Congrats on your Caribbean cruise on the adult-only Oriana. I am a bit incredulous to read various reports of disappointment on holiday cruises at Christmas from experienced cruisers or same in the summer due to badly-behaved kids running amok. Decades ago, I figured out when to cruise - and when not to. Why would experienced cruisers, retired, go on a holiday cruise then complain about the passenger mix?

How long is your Oriana cruise from the UK to the Caribbean? That is quite a maritime stroll, seems like.

Ruby

Host Sharon - I'm reading reports of incredible weather extremes in the UK and western Europe. At one point, I read a report of 100mph winds and there seems to be a drought of snow in ski resorts on the continent. What's going on over there? I hope all is well in your part of the world.

Congrats on your Caribbean cruise on the adult-only Oriana. I am a bit incredulous to read various reports of disappointment on holiday cruises at Christmas from experienced cruisers or same in the summer due to badly-behaved kids running amok. Decades ago, I figured out when to cruise - and when not to. Why would experienced cruisers, retired, go on a holiday cruise then complain about the passenger mix?

How long is your Oriana cruise from the UK to the Caribbean? That is quite a maritime stroll, seems like.

Ruby

Yes - the weather has been rough, although not as bad here as in Scotland. We are used to bad winter gales down though (I got shut in the garage once when the door slammed shut on me! ) I'd rather have gales than snow. Up in Scotland it has been much worse with power outages for days. Some people are still cut off.

Unfortunately a few do not do their research, or even use common sense, when booking a cruise and then wonder why there are hoards of children (in school holidays!) or wonder why there is a high proportion of older pax on long cruises in term time. I guess it goes with the territory. I must admit I do like the adult only ships. The Oriana cruise is 22 nights so hopefully a few relaxing days in the sun on the crossing, although we stop off at the Azores on the way over and Madeira on the way home.

I should also be back on Oceana tomorrow to launch the book, but have done something painful to my back (just by bending down!) so hope I can make the drive tomorrow.

Edited by Host Sharon

I should also be back on Oceana tomorrow to launch the book, but have done something painful to my back (just by bending down!) so hope I can make the drive tomorrow.

Hope you feel well enough to make the drive to attend the book launching on Oceana. When I worked in Workers' Compensation, I was always surprised by just how many back injuries occurred due to just bending down.

What is the proper pronunciation? Coo-nard or Kyoo-nard? And what is the source for your answer?

Thanks!

Ruby

I believe the proper pronunciation is "coo-NARD", with the accent on the second sylLABle. That is how I recall hearing it aboard the QE2 in 1994, back when the ships were British-registered and the line had not yet been bought by the Carnivore Corporation. In days of yore. Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end, we'd sing and dance forever and a day, we'd live the life we choose, we'd fight and never lose, for we were young, and sure to have our way... ;)