Oosterdam Cooking Show?

Chance's Mom

We will be on the Oosterdam in May going to Alaska. I have read about the Oosterdam having some kind of cooking show. Is this included with the cruise, or is it something that must be registered and paid for?:eek:

Is it worthwhile? Are you able to see much or are there so many people that it's hard to see anything?

Thanks for the info!:D

We were on the Oosterdam in December for a 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise, and they offered two types of presentations in the Culinary Arts Center. The first type was a general cooking demonstration, open to the public, and free of charge. There were two of these during the cruise, both on sea days. The first one was presented by the Executive Chef of the Vista Dining Room, the second by the Executive Chef of the Pinnacle Grill. It was best to arrive early for premium seating, but the entire presentation was broadcast overhead on a large-screen TV so it was visible from throughout the auditorium. (Note: the show was also re-broadcast several times on the TV, so if you miss it you can watch it on TV in your cabin.) At the end of the demonstration they handed out small samples and recipe cards.

The second type of Culinary Arts presentation was a cooking class that was limited to 12 participants at a cost of $29/ea. I was not able to attend this class because we did not board early enough to sign up before the classes were full. From what I understand, this is a hands-on class where participants work with the chef to produce several dishes.

If you are interested in taking the hands-on class, arrive early on the ship and proceed directly to the Front Desk so you can register promptly. My one big regret about our cruise is that I missed the Culinary Arts classes - I had really been looking forward to taking them. (I did indicate on my comment card that they should offer more of these classes on each cruise.)

Hope this helps!

I was on the O last week and signed up for the class. It was terrible. Please look for my comments in a recent thread..."culinary arts...". If you can't find it I will be glad to repeat them. I frankly felt cheated. It was one of the only bad comments I had.

Archived