RCCL Certificates - be careful!!

cbabe

I have saved up my points thru my RCI MBNA Visa credit card and will get two free 7 day cruises for my husband and I:) . We are planning to go in June of this year. What exactly is the process for using the RCI reward points thru the credit card? I have heard different things and just wanted to make sure I am going about it the correct way.

Thanks for any info you can give!

Traci

We have used the "Thank You Network" gift certificates. Yes, our reservation was changed to "Maritz" but I still had full control. I was told it was just a code and that RCCL still held the reservation. The only thing we could not do was transfer the reservation to a travel agent. We still received all price drops by calling RCCL directly. We saved a lot on our last cruise this way. It was easy and worked well, and have already saved a ton on our upcoming cruise. I do have to make phone calls to verify the balance and that they did receive the certificates but to save large amounts of money it is worth it. The points accumulate quickly with the citibank cards so I think it is the best way to save a lot. Some of the agents don't seem to be aware of the "Maritz" code but once I quickly tell them it is a code, I have had no problems.

jwlane,

Thanks but I have already printed out and looked at this info. I am looking for someone with experience to give me the in's and out's of this process. I am sorry, but I am a new at this and looking for some good advice.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help a newbie out!!

jwlane,

Thanks but I have already printed out and looked at this info. I am looking for someone with experience to give me the in's and out's of this process. I am sorry, but I am a new at this and looking for some good advice.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help a newbie out!!

newbie help needed!

I have posted this before! If you go under the search button on top of page, usually you can find info on your question.

I just used a 125K certificate also. You call BOA and request to have a cert. for the free fare for 2, it will arrive in approx 1 week. You fill out the back and give it to your TA if you use a TA, or mail it in to the address on the certificate. It will take approx. 3 weeks to get it applied to your reservation. I used mine on the June Liberty cruise, i upgraded to a balcony. I received $1250.00 p/p (for the 2) off my invoice.

Shirl

I am looking for someone with experience to give me the in's and out's of this process. I am sorry, but I am a new at this and looking for some good advice.
In actuality, I have been in and out of this process, and practically everything you need to know is at that link. For your case, under "General Reward Coupon Terms & Conditions", number 4, it sez:

You can redeem Rewards either directly with Royal Caribbean International or through your United States-based travel agency.

So, call RCCL or your TA and tell them what you want to do. Supposedly, they technically can only be used for an oceanview cabin. However, I believe I've seen several instances on this board where the $2500 value can be applied to any category. Book the cabin, pay your deposit, and then wait. Don't get the coupon immediately. They are void after 6 months, so I would've get it until closer to the final payment due date, when it is also due. That way you won't be stuck with a coupon you can't use if you need to cancel closer to the sail date. They won't be reinstated.

Like I said, the rules cover it pretty well. If you have a "Can I this" or "Will they that" question, someone on CC might be able to help out.

DH and I are using 125,000 points for our " free cruise for two" in August. We previously booked this while onboard and paid our deposit of 500.00.

If I submit the coupon after final payment will they just transfer all funds paid on the account to onboard credit, or will they give them to us in shipboard credit? I don't want them to take away any points especially double points.

If you only get $500 off a free cruise for 2 on 50,000 points that is ridiculous. One person alone is almost $500 so where do they come off saying a free cruise for 2.

The free cruise is for a 3 or 4 day cruise which the $1000 limit will cover a nice oceanview cabin for two.

One person alone is almost $500 so where do they come off saying a free cruise for 2.
The 50,000 point category has two possible uses, a free 3/4 day cruise (max. value $1000) OR $500 off any. The awards are related only in the fact that they require 50,000 points.

If I submit the coupon after final payment will they just transfer all funds paid on the account to onboard credit, or will they give them to us in shipboard credit? I don't want them to take away any points especially double points.
Not sure it matters. If they refund the money (and reduce your miles), then you can charge it on your SeaPass during the cruise and get double miles when you pay the bill. If they don't refund it, the miles stay as they are. That aside, the program sez "When redeeming these other Rewards through a travel agency, the Reward Coupon must be presented directly to the travel agent at the time you tender final payment for the cruise and the Reward Coupon must be received by Royal Caribbean International by no later than the final payment date. If you are booking directly through Royal Caribbean International, you must mail the Reward Coupon to Royal Caribbean International prior to making your final payment for the cruise."

Archived