Do I Wait for the Upsell?

honeymooner77

My fiance and I will be cruising on the Pride of Aloha in July for our honeymoon this summer. I would love for us to have a balcony. It's doable, but a stretch to our budget. Right now, it's $400 more than an ocean view and $700 more than an inside cabin.

Is it worth booking an ocean view and waiting to see if we get an opportunity for an upsell or if we get upgraded from an ocean view?

We've never cruised before, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

My fiance and I will be cruising on the Pride of Aloha in July for our honeymoon this summer. I would love for us to have a balcony. It's doable, but a stretch to our budget. Right now, it's $400 more than an ocean view and $700 more than an inside cabin.

Is it worth booking an ocean view and waiting to see if we get an opportunity for an upsell or if we get upgraded from an ocean view?

We've never cruised before, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

The odds of an upgrade are rather small so do not base your booking with this in mind.

I agree, an upgrade from one type of room to another type (inside->outside or outside->balcony) is extremely rare. Do not expect one.

Upsells don't necessarily come to you, either; the cruiseline has you booked already and is looking to sell another room, not resell yours. If you see a good price, then go for it. But don't sit and wait for them to tell you about it.

General rule of thumb is book the category that you can be happy in - anything after that (meaning an upsell) is just icing on the cake.

The one time you book a lower category than you want and assume that you will get an upsell call is probably the time you WON'T get a call.

You only have one honeymoon and if it were me, I'd book the balcony in a heartbeat. Imagine sitting on your balcony, sitting the beverage of your choice and watching the hawaiian islands go by - now, how cool is that!

• 1 month later...

We are booked on The Pride Aloha for April 29th. I booked the inside N room. I got a call to upsell to EE an outside room for $200 more. But you should book the room you want. And Hope.

Archived